PDA

View Full Version : New Year Honours list - award to JimL

ambidextrous
31st Dec 2011, 09:40
Yes folks, Rotorheads most erudite and seasoned contributor awarded an MBE "For Services to Aviation Safety", richly deserved.:D
with fraternal greetings,
ambi

Geoffersincornwall
31st Dec 2011, 09:49
Over the years Jim has been a great help to me personally and to the industry as a whole. Richly deserved. WELL DONE JIM.

G. :ok:

31st Dec 2011, 09:52
Congratulations Jim:ok:

industry insider
31st Dec 2011, 09:52
Brilliant Jim, very well deserved. Congratulations.

ubique
31st Dec 2011, 09:56
Have enjoyed many conversations/discussions/arguments with you over the years but always with respect for your ability. Glad to see you finally recognised.
Well done.

Geoff

VeeAny
31st Dec 2011, 10:11
Fabulous news, and well deserved.

Congratulations Jim.

Savoia
31st Dec 2011, 10:33
MBE: James Edward Lyons. Helicopter Safety Expert. For services to Aviation Safety. (Horsham, West Sussex)
Yes, well done indeed! If anyone could provide a brief snippet of the work Jim gets up to I would be most interested.

Other recipients in this year's list, related to aviation (non-military) were:

MBE: Michael James Marcus Edwards. Pilot, British Airways. For services to UK/India relations and to the British aircraft industry

MBE: Christopher Farnaby. Head of Operations (Aerodromes), CAA. For services to Aviation Safety. (Horsham, West Sussex)

And my personal favourite:

OBE: Professor Robert Owen Jones. Monitor, Welsh Language Project in Patagonia. For services to safeguarding the Welsh language in Argentina. (Pontarddulais, Swansea)

Snarlie
31st Dec 2011, 10:43
A somewhat muted response from some of those who experienced JimL`s personal take on CRM around about April 1977 in Bristows. I am also getting ghostly whispers of disbelief from Bristow hierachy long since departed.

SASless
31st Dec 2011, 14:02
CRM acceptance by senior Bristow folks???

I reckon the Crown now recognizes" Bolshies"!

Congratulations Jim! It is good to see the "Good'uns" receive some well deserved recognition.

EN48
31st Dec 2011, 14:43
Congratulations, Jim! And thanks for your professional, thoughtful and supportive PM's to this newbie to helicopters. :ok:

Snarlie
31st Dec 2011, 15:01
SASless - trust you to get the wrong end of the stick. I was referring of course to those young, vulnerable First Officers who, after the resolution of the Bristow Strike of 1977, were actively threatened by your hero JimL to continue strike action in order to prolong the strike to achieve union recognition, leading to their dismissal from the company. This in the full knowledge that he ,himself, was set up with a lucrative arrangement with Helicopter Services in Stavanger.

Personally, I am not a supporter of those being rewarded in this manner for merely doing their jobs and like it or not, JimL`s job latterly with the CAA was to promote helicopter safety.

chopper2004
31st Dec 2011, 15:02
Many congratulations Jim and wishing you a very happy prosperous New Year.

Look forward to seeing you around.

All the best

Chopper2004

Variable Load
31st Dec 2011, 15:13
Well done Jim, thoroughly deserved. Your level of energy, knowledge and professionalism is something we should all try to aspire to.

Happy New Year!
VL

HeliTester
31st Dec 2011, 16:01
Congratulations Jim, and thanks for the steadfast counsel you provide in open forum and via PM. It’s refreshing that your posts are always objective and without rancor.

HT

hostile
31st Dec 2011, 16:09
Just keep going and advise us like you've been doing here and other meetings. :D

soggyboxers
31st Dec 2011, 17:34
Congratulations Jim, a well-deserved award. :ok: :D

Savoia, Jim was the 2005 recipient of the Eric Brown award and for some years now I believe has been running seminars for CAA/JAA/EASA/ICAO on helicopter performance.

Here are links to a couple of his papers:
The Hostile Environment (http://www.slv.dk/Dokumenter/dsweb/Get/Document-8340/Hostile%20-%20non-hostile.pdf)

Helicopter Class 2 Performance (http://www.slv.dk/Dokumenter/dsweb/Get/Document-8339)

Shell Management
31st Dec 2011, 17:46
A nice recgonition for years of hard work promoting safety. Well done.

212man
1st Jan 2012, 03:42
Congratulations Jim! It's a sad irony, though, to see 'industry' trying to reverse much of his good work:ugh:

flyer43
1st Jan 2012, 08:28
Great news & very justly deserved! A good way to start the New Year!

Brian

AnFI
1st Jan 2012, 12:46
IMHO deserved for a sincere and coherent structure which has forced oil dollars to be spent with manufacturers.

Although I don't agree as to is applicability to the onshore and particularly the Private Flying sector (where the cost and risk of twins would IMO outweigh the relatively rare benefits. Power/control/structural margin being far more important) - I respect you, in that you have always answered me with genuine civility and reasoned arguement - which is the only way for civilised progress, thank you.

I hope you will go on to look more roundly at a realistic framework for Private Helicopters.

Aser
1st Jan 2012, 13:39
Congrats JimL :ok:

DOUBLE BOGEY
2nd Jan 2012, 00:10
Well done Jim. Your unwavering arguments for the implementation of sensible, achievable performance applications has without doubt saved a lot of us from the inevitable on many occasions.

Best Regards

DB

zudhir
3rd Jan 2012, 10:31
Congratulations Jim! I'm a happy fan today.:)

Deutz
3rd Jan 2012, 19:12
Congratulations Jim,

A thoroughly well deserved award following your many years of endeavour.

tecpilot
4th Jan 2012, 06:34
Well deserved and in Europe with great pleasure noticed. Congratiolations JimL.

Savoia
7th Jan 2012, 07:38
Speech! .................