PDA

View Full Version : % of poulation that travel by air.

nomorecatering
31st Dec 2011, 00:08
Has anyone ever seen data that shows what % of the population uses air travel for domestic travel, and a comparison between countries.

The reason I ask is, we will soon have as many as 6 domestic airlines in Oz, Qantas, Virgin, Jetstar, Tiger, Air Australia and possibly Lion Air down the track. 7, if Rex ever decide to link up their capital city hubs.

Now, talking about the golden triangle, SYD/MEL/BNE, possibly including Adelaide........its quite staggering the number of people i meet that have never even been in a plane. Let alone travel reqularly.

I;m just wondering what the market potential is in Oz. It seems every man and his dog in the US flies domestically. I;m allways encouraging people to get on a plane and go someowhere, and to support the new carriers. I'm booked on Tiger for my next trip in Jan and the months after will give Air Australia a go.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
1st Jan 2012, 00:56
Don't know about some of the 'shorter' domestic routes, but I guess some (especially 'hard working Australian families') would drive SY / ML / AD etc so they have their car when they get there for 'local' getting around.

I reckon the longer routes, PH - SY/ML etc would attract a very high percentage of air travellers - especially with many seats around the $200 - $300 mark one way.....

Beats driving, and unless ya wanna go for the 'experience', the train ain't cheap either....

"Hard Working Australian Family Man"......:}:}
:ok: