PDA

View Full Version : Job search after subarachnoid haemorrhage

Hunt-and-Hess-II
29th Dec 2011, 00:35
Dear fellow PPRuNers,

may I please ask for a bit of advice in a matter of my own occupational future. I am a regular poster on this forum under my real name. However, since my question concerns my health status, I would like to stay incognito. That is why I created a new user name for this post. I hope for your understanding.

In December 2010, just after I had passed my CPL(A)/IR skill test, I got a subarachnoid haemorrhage from a ruptured aneurysm in a cerebral artery. I was implanted a platinum coil in that artery which is now holding everything together. The neurologists tell me chances I would get such a haemorrhage twice were significantly smaller than chances somebody else would get one for the first time. Fortunately, I got my medical back, and I have meanwhile completed the MCC course. So, here I am, a fresh frozen ATPL with a medical history.

My medical has a TML limitation now. Under "further remarks" it says "note the special conditions/restrictions of the waiver no. xxx". This waiver by the AMC says I was fit to fly according to class 1 requirements, with the following limitations/restrictions:

Aeromedical examinations at legal intervals. The validity of the medical certificates will be 12 months maximum (TML).
Neurological check-ups in addition to the aeromedical examinations. If required, findings with doppler sonography, medical imaging and catheter ablation.
All findings from the check-ups are to be brought forward to the respective aeromedical examiner.
In case of a recidivism this special permit will expire and a new examination will be required.

Apart from being happy I don't have to sit in a wheel chair and can still speak, I am at loss on how to deal with this during job search. And here's where I would like to ask for your opinion:

When applying for a job, which medical documents should I send with my CV? I see basically three options. Firstly, send a CV and copy of licence only, and wait until someone askes for my medical (probably not wise). Secondly, send a copy of the medical certificate without the waiver. Thirdly, send a copy of the medical certificate together with the waiver.
Should I explain the nature of my recent illness in my cover letters, and indicate the risk such a haemorrhage would recur was smaller than the risk someone unaffected would get on for the first time? Or should I better not say too much? After all, I do hold a valid class 1 medical.

I'd like to thank everybody taking the time to read such a long post. Maybe someone in a similar situation will even read this and see one can still get a class 1 medical after a subarachnoid haemorrhage.