PDA

View Full Version : RAuxAF

NYM
28th Dec 2011, 21:09
Hello Everybody.

Until 7 years ago I was a LAC with 4626 sqdn at RAF Lyneham. Circumstances, including my civilian employment, moved me to North Yorkshire, and I was forced to resign from the reserves.

However, I now have the opportunity to sign up again and would like to give it a go. What I would like to know, if anyone can help me, is whether or not I would have to take the BRC again.
Also, does the RAuxAF still have the "medical assistant" role (similar to the RAF's "medic")? It certainly used to have, but I don't see it advertised anywhere on the reserves website.

Thanks for your help.

NYM

Green Flash
28th Dec 2011, 22:09
BRC - almost certainly, although previous may be taken into consideration! I did the ROIT centuries ago and we had an ex WO Rock returning as an Oggy officer and he had to run around with the rest of us. But he knew all the short cuts too ;)

Medic - give the aeromed folks a call, they should put you in the right direction. Google RAF Reserves and take it from there. What are you closest to, Linton or Leeming?

Lima Juliet
29th Dec 2011, 00:24
Rumour has it that 2012 has a target of up to 700 for BRC for RAuxAF to get towards the targets for Future Reserves 2020 (FR20). As you can imagine that is a big ask with Olympics and QDJ next year so I would have thought that RAuxAF will snap your arm off! Especially, I would have thought if you make yourself available for Olympic duties.

Best of luck, me old! RAF Reserves - Roles and squadrons (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafreserves/rolesandsquadrons/)

Impiger
29th Dec 2011, 07:03
NYM

The normal rule is after 5 years 'out' you're treated as a new joiner but depending on branch and trade there are possible waivers to be had on various bits of the entry standards and training requirement.

Current plan has 609 Sqn at Leeming in the RAF Regt role and what the medical branch really want are paramedics and nurses rather than the old 'medic' trade. There are other opportunities likely to arise from the restructuring of the Reserves if you're prepared to give another trade a go.

For now why not register an interest with 609 Sqn and then the recruiters will advise further.

NYM
29th Dec 2011, 20:37
Thank you all - very useful information.
Leeming is closest to me, so I'll give them a ring after the New Year.
Thanks again.

NYM