PDA

View Full Version : DT 26 Dec 11: RAN to take up to 1000 RN sailors.

minigundiplomat
27th Dec 2011, 14:24
Seems that of the 5000 RN redundancies, the RAN are keen to attract nearly 1000.

Good on ya, it's nice to see a forward looking nation and can't help but chuckle at the reverse of situations over the last 50-60 years.

althenick
27th Dec 2011, 14:57
Aye,
The RAN are expanding big time at the mo' 3 new LHD's 1 bay class and AWD Frigates on order. How comes a Little country like that can afford it and we cant?
:(

alfred_the_great
27th Dec 2011, 14:57
And work for a godawful Navy, I suppose you could treat yourself.

The only thing that would make this worthwhile is the permanent residence thing that would happen after you leave the RAN!

Arcanum
27th Dec 2011, 15:45
How comes a Little country like that can afford it and we cant?

Australia has large reserves of aluminuim, uranium, coal and a fair bit of oil too. Much like Brazil - which has just overtaken the UK as the worlds 6th largest economy - it helps to have massive mineral wealth with the current commodity prices.

It is ironic to consider that China is a factor in Australian defence spending while also being one of the largest consumers of Australian minerals.

Fareastdriver
27th Dec 2011, 17:24
With the amount of Australia being shipped to China at the moment the RAN will be protecting Australian soil off the coast of Shanghai.

finestkind
27th Dec 2011, 20:16
Makes sense. Recruit people that are already trained, big saving. Can't get anyone to work in Oz, handouts to good. Look at the mining sector where they are looking at recruiting outside Oz because they cannot fill the vacancies within.

TBM-Legend
27th Dec 2011, 21:00
And work for a godawful Navy, I suppose you could treat yourself.

The only thing that would make this worthwhile is the permanent residence thing that would happen after you leave the RAN!

Another whinging Pom. Mate stay there and move to Brixton and enjoy the ambience. Oh don't mention the weather.....

Doors Off
27th Dec 2011, 22:27
I would welcome another 1000 "Whinging Poms" and their families to Australia with open arms. Better than another 1000 "Whinging Aussies"!

I truly believe that us "Aussies" sure as **** know how to out whinge a pom any day of the week.

At least the Brits will say "please" and "thank you", won't think that a "Bogan Sled" is a flash car, won't use their cars as weapons and they will appreciate erudite TV programs.

No TBM, I am not a pom, lived there for several years, but born and bred "Aussie". Just able to recognise the faults of my own land - I think that is called "reality".

Doors Off

GalleyTeapot
27th Dec 2011, 22:31
This thread has got what to do with military aviation?

althenick
27th Dec 2011, 23:03
This thread has got what to do with military aviation?

Bu88er all but talking about whinging Poms makes for a pleasent diversion from reading the drivel of whinging Crabs :E

TBM-Legend
27th Dec 2011, 23:40
better we take 1000 of the RN's finest that the thousands of others arriving via "Julia's Navy"......

Union Jack
28th Dec 2011, 09:00
Been there, done that, and would go again like a shot, so kindly form an orderly queue!:ok:

Jack

PS Oh! I am so sorry, Galley Peapot, I should have mentioned that I was serving at a Naval Air Station ....Happy now?:E

oldpinger
28th Dec 2011, 09:10
TBM

Julias navy? Am I missing something, or has the head ranga outsourced the RAN as well as the rest of the ADF to save cash??

If we get any more RN changeovers, will have to call it HMS ALBATROSS:D :ok:

TBM-Legend
28th Dec 2011, 09:54
Julia's "sailors" come via Christmas Island by the boatload....most of them have had experience on board the "ships of the desert":uhoh:

The RN doesn't have the budget to ship their displaced matlots that far....

GreenKnight121
29th Dec 2011, 04:22
Aye,
The RAN are expanding big time at the mo' 3 new LHD's 1 bay class and AWD Frigates on order. How comes a Little country like that can afford it and we cant?
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/sowee.gif

Not really expanding, just replacing ships on a "one-for-one" basis with more capable ones.

2 LHDs and 1 Bay class... to replace 2 "modified Newport" class and 1 "Round-table" class. Total crew to drop by 39.

Canberra LHD (x2): 243
Choules: 60
total: 546

Kanimbla (x2): 220
Tobruk: 145
total: 585

3 AWD "frigates" (the name is Air Warfare Destroyer)... to replace 4 FFGs, with total crew to drop by 234.

Hobart DDG (x3): 202
total: 606

Sydney FFG-Up (x4): 210
total 840

rjtjrt
29th Dec 2011, 06:27
Doors Off
My family have lived in Australia for 150+ years and I am born and bred in Australia. I live here and would not live anywhere else.
Having said that I heartily agree with your comments about many (but not all) current day Australians - Bolshie Jingoistic Bogans abound, and make me cringe.

PS Sorry for the thread creep.

SASless
29th Dec 2011, 07:23
Whinging Crabs....aw...say it ain't so!:oh:

bingo doubt
30th Dec 2011, 16:34
Ronnie just took 3 fast jet lads. Not quite the 1000 the puss are after.

tarantonight
30th Dec 2011, 19:57
I'm 48, my Dad was in the RN, and I once sailed around The Solent. Do I have a chance? Promise not to whinge.:D

Andu
30th Dec 2011, 21:21
Cut and pasted from another site. Comments by 'Albatross':

Albatross said...
Reports elsewhere say that the RAN is looking to recruit 1000 (one thousand!!) trained RN personnel who are excess to requirements in the Old Dart as the RN is gutted to fund the UK's welfare state.

It's a disturbing parallel to what happens in Australian country towns at fruit picking time - hundreds of back packers and newly-arrived immigrants come in to the towns to pick the fruit while hundreds and hundreds of fit and able unemployed young locals sit on their ever widening arses and do nothing more productive than to pick up their dole cheques every fortnight.

What's happening to the ADF/RAN training pipeline? Does the ADF have one (or one that's in any way credible) any more, or was that sacrificed along with much of its effective fighting forces a a cost-saving measure under the 'enlightened' leadership the ADF has 'enjoyed' over the last decade?

finestkind
30th Dec 2011, 23:31
The point of the ADF or any defenc force is ???? to protect ???

Makes sense to have an ADF made up of other nationals considering what the ADF is protecting. Just how much does China and other countries actually own of Oz with reference to actual land and building let alone stock/shares. Much cheaper to buy than invade.

foldingwings
31st Dec 2011, 06:50
Tarantonight,

I'm 48

No you're not!

Foldie:p

PS. Check your profile!:ok: