PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine Coast forced landing

spinex
27th Dec 2011, 03:08
Someone's day didn't go entirely according to plan. Good to hear that all worked out ok though; not bad going, the average school oval isn't all that big.
Light plane forced landing on Qld oval (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8395400)

spinex
27th Dec 2011, 04:04
Found this elsewhere, familiar looking Tiger neatly parked on the grass:ok:
Plane makes emergency school landing (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/plane-makes-emergency-school-landing-20111227-1pb36.html)

Dora-9
27th Dec 2011, 04:04
He did brilliantly!

Measuring it out on Google earth, he had a maximum run of 230 metres! Not a scratch on himself, his passenger or the Tiger, I'm very impressed....

b_sta
27th Dec 2011, 09:14
Just like the old days eh :E

MakeItHappenCaptain
27th Dec 2011, 12:56
Not surprised that he got in OK. You should see him and his two mates do their 1/2 hour formation routine with a very short ribbon connecting all 3 tigers. Very competent bunch.

Shame the Caloundra anti-aviation dicky whackers are gonna be screaming, "We told you so!!! What about the children? WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN???":ugh::rolleyes:

Centaurus
27th Dec 2011, 13:26
He did brilliantly!

It's a good bet he was well practiced at conducting glide approaches for normal landings rather than the generally accepted powered approaches used by most lighties rightly or wrongly. Glide approaches were taught as the norm in Tiger Moths and those old aeroplanes - good practice in case an engine failed.

Fris B. Fairing
27th Dec 2011, 21:10
the Caloundra anti-aviation dicky whackers

Unfortunately some of them are on the Council.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
28th Dec 2011, 03:48
Hey 'Dora',

D'ya reckon he would wait for the 'sea breeze' and fly it out ...??

Cheaper than truckin' it out......

Cheers:ok::ok:

jas24zzk
28th Dec 2011, 09:22
What you on about griffo? :eek:

Just like the good old days, he's back on an all-over field. any breeze will do :ok:

Jabawocky
28th Dec 2011, 09:25
ahhh yes grasshopper.........but about 0300Z the seabreeze will kick in, clearly griffo has been a local here at some point. ;)

Where was this moth from?

Ex FSO GRIFFO
28th Dec 2011, 12:21
I am led to believe that he's possibly a 'local' who did an EXCELLENT JOB, having had MUCHO experience......

I mean - ya just don't go tooo faaar in a 'Tiger', do ya..?
AN Excellent Result!!

Cheers::D:D

MakeItHappenCaptain
28th Dec 2011, 12:22
Unfortunately some of them are on the Council.

That would be the "missing a dicky" whacker, the honourable (the crowd yelled BULL****!) A. Grizzlegutz?:rolleyes:

Dora-9
12th Jan 2012, 19:07
Gents, a timely heads-up to one and all!

The cause was fuel starvation (despite having an adequate quantity on board), eventually traced to a mud-wasp nest hidden out of sight in the fuel tank static vent tube.

As one who has previously been unconvinced of the wasp's nest problem in SE Qld, I thought this best passed on.

spinex
12th Jan 2012, 20:16
Thanks Dora-9, I've yet to come across one of the little b@$twards on an aircraft, but have found enough of them in strange places on the house and in boats, to be aware of the possibility. Sounds like a good measure of skill, with an added dash of luck resulted in a good outcome.

Up-into-the-air
12th Jan 2012, 21:06
Have also had issues with these - a pitot tube cover left off over night and despite an inspection, wasp had climbed well to the back of the tube - after no airspeed change - static vent selected and OK. Took a disconnection at the asi and a full blow back by the lame using air. Then the little blighter "popped Out" - no more problems.

The wasps seem to prefer horizontal "hollows" rather than vertical ones.

The relief vent for the fuel tank can also be a target, or the oil breather tube - not normally covered by a "tube-cover" - A few more inspection points in wasp season!!

Good and timely advice!!!

VH-XXX
12th Jan 2012, 21:19
There is another Tiger pilot on here that had a similar issue.

As I understand it, vent was blocked and the flight went well until the pressure was too great and the fuel stopped flowing! A successful out-landing followed.

Jabawocky
12th Jan 2012, 21:41
This always gets the locals wound up, but some stainless fly screen, rolled into a suitable size, chopped to an inch or so long and shoved into the breather tube end allows for plenty of breathing but not any room for the bugglies.

Yes you could get a CAR35 engineer to write that out for you:rolleyes:

Forkie has a story on this one.

Wanderin_dave
12th Jan 2012, 22:35
Indeed there is XXX.

In that case the engineer came, had a look, all seemed fine. Failure was put it down to carby ice. Aircraft flown out of field........and a second out landing followed......

Wasn't wasps, but a corroded shut non-return valve.

.....I learnt quite a few lessons that day.....

VH-XXX
13th Jan 2012, 00:04
I also learnt a lesson that day on how best to transport a TigerMoth down a busy highway. You had to see it to believe it, I wish I had had my camera! The guy that drove his Honda Civic under the wing of the Tiger won retard of the day award.