PDA

View Full Version : high altitude/pressurized training....?? what next ???

Clintonb
26th Dec 2011, 22:57
Hey there

Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

Just want to find out from you guys what you think about the next step to take or whether you know of a better direction to take.
I've got my CPL ME/SE 300 hrs hopefully in a couple of weeks get my tailwheel endorsement and i've been contemplating whether to go and do high altitude/ pressurized training and get the endorsements. Is it worth getting it now or should i save the money and train for something else? any ideas?

Look forward to reading your responses.

der e-man
27th Dec 2011, 00:34
I don't know where you are located; but I was once in your position...I really didn't want to become a CFI because of what they made at my academy...

But, at 300 hours, I couldn't get someone to let me borrow a plane even. Try starting your CFI training and then the other instructor ratings. I have only met one person who had their high altitude endorsement with less than 2000 hours, but he had flown Kingairs, so he probably did it out of necessity. I can see how it would look good when you're trying to become a co-pilot though...

Being a CFI is a great experience, the connections you make and people you meet can be of great help in your career. It actually is pretty fun for the first flight of the day, and you can make a decent living for a while. Not to mention that when you apply for jobs, they like that about a pilot; and the regs are engraved in you like you wouldn't believe.

If you're not looking to make this a profession, I would (in your place) get tailwheel, seaplane, and fun add-ons (aerobatics). I think the high altitude could wait until you have some sweet job in your sights.

Good luck.

redsnail
27th Dec 2011, 10:39
Clintonb,

Where are you?
I wouldn't spend another cent/penny on flight training at this stage. I would sit back, take stock of where you are and what you want to do.

If you're in the US, find out what else "new pilots" have. Such as First Aid Certificates, Dangerous Goods certificates and the like. Those are fine to add.

Clintonb
2nd Jan 2012, 21:03
I'm currently in the US (sorry i apologize i forgot to mention that in the initial post, i got my FAA CPL ME/SE/IR) and I'm doing my CFI/CFII i just wanted to find out whether i should start looking into doing these other things and getting the endorsements, also what about doing the high performance training??? i see a lot of companies prefer you to have that already :/

im just throwing ideas out there picking your brains to see what you guys think whether to do these things, get the endorsements so its done and companies will more eager to hire you when they see that in your log book or just stick with getting my CFI's get the hours and then afterwards hope someone that hires me will pay for the high altitude, high performance etc endorsements.

So just trying to see what my next step will be or if there is any next step i should take after my CFI.

Thanks again for the info.