PDA

View Full Version : FADEC

27477231e94ba2acc96a
26th Dec 2011, 21:25
I'm making the transition from the 7-3 to the Airbus. Our training manual is somewhat lacking in technical data, and I was wondering about the FADEC. On the overhead, maintenance panel there is a switch that allows maintenance personnel to power the FADEC while on the ground. Okay, understood. But when is the FADEC normally powered and ready to monitor and control the engine? Or, saying it another way, when does the pilot know that the FADEC for the first engine to be started is up and running?

27477231e94ba2acc96a
26th Dec 2011, 22:48
I think I have found my answer. If this is not correct I would appreciate someone with more knowledge sending me a detailed correction:
1. The FADEC is powered for five minutes after electrical power is applied to the aircraft.
2. The FADEC is powered when the overhead maintenance switch is placed to "on."
3. The FADEC is powered during engine start when the mode selector switch is moved from "NORMAL" or "NORM" to "IGN/START."

Liney
27th Dec 2011, 06:24
ding ding ding...we have a winner :D

MATMAX
27th Dec 2011, 11:59
Go on with your researches as , no matter if it is an Airbus or a Boeing , there are 5 ways to energize an EEC or ECU ...
FYI , it can be FADEC or not !
What FADEC means ...?!
I think that you are talking about EECs ...

IFixPlanes
27th Dec 2011, 15:17
or ECU...:}

grounded27
27th Dec 2011, 15:56
Or, saying it another way, when does the pilot know that the FADEC for the first engine to be started is up and running?

Because his engine is running w/o any FADEC faults. It is the whole purpose of Full Authority Digital Engine CONTROL, the pilot's do not have to worry about condition monitoring.

cedgz
28th Dec 2011, 09:13
fadec should be fadeec(full authority digital electronic engine control), but fadec is way nicer to spell
ecu or eec is the brain of the fadec and the fadec includes all parts required for engine control such as fmu or hmu, vsv,vbv, throttle pos, lptcc,hptcc,P & T sensors,etc...
such as grounded27 said, pilots will only know when there's a failure with the fadec syst(depends on the nature and importance of the failure, but alert to flt crew will be different in fuction of the airplane type such as minor fault or fadec maint, etc)
during engine operation the ecu is generally getting his power from it's own generator mounted on the gearbox(for ex on cf6-80 is a dual gen and N2 tach)

FADEC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FADEC)

cheers and merry christmas and a happy new year to all

MATMAX
28th Dec 2011, 19:59
Wow , things need to be clarified here for some people ...because you are mixing two different stuff:
an EEC is a "box" and a FADEC is a system !
you can have an EEC non FADEC , but only older Engineers know that ...
1/ an engine can run with some "FADEC" faults ...
2/ not all parameters are monitored by an EEC ... easy to check , when the EEC is not "energized" , any indications on ?
3/ if some of you followed some proper run-up training , you will know that it is mandatory to keep his hand on the fuel lever , just wonder why ...?
Ced gave the fourth way , there is still another one ... and my friend , wikipedia is not an official , recognized and approved book by manufacturers ...
Where does this lack of knowledge is coming from ? lack of proper trainings or lack of listening to elder Engineers ...
Just have a look on the books and read them !

Flightmech
29th Dec 2011, 15:06
MATMAX, we bow to your superior knowledge, however the only non-FADEC engine i have worked on with an "EEC" was the CFM56-3 and the CF6-80A3 and it that case it was called a "PMC" (Power Management Control) which fine tuned N1 by subsequent operation of a torque motor on the HMU/MEC to adjust N2 (and therefore N1). Tested by testbox by a J5 connection on the PMC but its been a while. I think most people are aware of your answers to 1/2/3.

I believe cedgz gave the wikipedia link as a knowledge source purely for those people not in the business directly, but thanks for patronizing about it not being an approved source, I'm sure we weren't aware of that:ugh:.

Happy new year!:E

MATMAX
30th Dec 2011, 12:23
Flightmech,
My main goal here was to make the guy thinking forward and nothing else , and also to warn him with acronyms , thats it ...
Now , if he is following a training , why not asking to his instructors ...?
Happy New Year too

Swedish Steve
30th Dec 2011, 16:12
The Rolls Royce RB211 has varying amounts of EEc control, but none of them are FADEC.
The -22B and -524B and D had a small EEC for overtemp control.
The -535 had a limited EEC in the E and E bay.
Then the -524G/H on the B744 and B767 has a full authority EEC, but it cannot be a FADEC because the airflow control is entirely analogue. This air pressure operated, no electrics, no moving parts VIGV control box was so reliable that RR kept it on the -524 even when the whole fuel system went digital.

cedgz
1st Jan 2012, 20:11
"Ced gave the fourth way , there is still another one ... and my friend , wikipedia is not an official , recognized and approved book by manufacturers ...
Where does this lack of knowledge is coming from ? lack of proper trainings or lack of listening to elder Engineers ...
Just have a look on the books and read them !"

this wiki link is for the non aviation people(or tech).
elder engineers, NO, ask good elder engineers(mechs,techs, screwdriver operators, etc...) that know their stuff.
lack of proper training is a standard now
reading the books is the best thing to do if you understand all of it
fadec is so nice to work on, no need to understand any clue of it, it tells you everything. not like the good ole jt9d's
have fun and happy new year

grounded27
2nd Jan 2012, 00:19
Geeze, easy way to generally tell the difference between FADEC powered aircraft and non, the throttle's have no cables to the engine, EEC driven aircraft manage EC based on cable input with protection. Hey cedgs, I used to be able to from memory understand the failing gearbox component from the drain mast on those old JT9's, hanging flags in the beanpots to T/S bleed issues etc... Great memories!

MATMAX
2nd Jan 2012, 09:37
I agree , the JT9 was (still is ?) a great engine.
Why no more proper training ?
For Permies , their Companies want them to have a minimum knowledge to avoid them to leave and , or to stay less as possible in classrooms , to be back at the frontline quicker as possible ?
For Connies , are they just looking for the cheapest one ?
What about quality ...?