PDA

View Full Version : If one fails Class 1 Medical, what other options?

Mikeoscar94
26th Dec 2011, 11:23
Dear Reader,

I am 17 and I am looking at doing my Class 1 Medical (already hold a Class 2) in the next year to confirm whether or not I can become a commercial pilot.

I am a worrier and I was wondering if someone was to fail their Class 1 Medical, what other options would they have?

For me, I'd love to have any career that involves being around aircraft (apart from engineering - my dad has told me enough bad stories from his career!)

Are there any roles in aviation that:
-Are paid reasonably well (I'll settle for 20k+)
-Don't require a university degree of some form

Obviously working for an airline has great benefits (ie staff travel) and that would be very appealing, though it isn't a requirement.

I am currently studying A levels in:
- Biology
- Geography
- Computing
- ICT (AS)

And I am roughly 3/4 through my PPL.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated! :)

hvogt
26th Dec 2011, 17:54
When I had lost my medical for one year and it wasn't clear if I would get it back I thought of becoming a dispatcher. The ATPL exams can be credited for a dispatcher licence where I live. The downside is that dispatchers are typically not much around aircraft. (That might be different in business aviation.)

If it is important for you to set foot in a cockpit every now and then you could take up a job as a ramp agent. Just be aware that this is a job leaving not too many career options. One of the pros is that you have ample opportunity to broaden your network.

Another job you could find interesting is apron control. As an apron controller you don't necessarily have to be a qualified ATCO, but still you can direct aircraft over the radio.

hvogt
26th Dec 2011, 18:01
Apart from what I have just posted, good luck for your class 1 examination, of course.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
26th Dec 2011, 19:38
<<Another job you could find interesting is apron control. As an apron controller you don't necessarily have to be a qualified ATCO, but still you can direct aircraft over the radio.>>

But not in the UK.

average-punter
26th Dec 2011, 23:00
Cabin crew? Initially I can't imagine it would meet the 20k salary but the senior member may earn that?

Perhaps have a look through all the tests for the Class 1 to reassure yourself. Hope the class 1 goes OK. I've been through the process in June, any questions feel free to shoot me a PM!

homonculus
27th Dec 2011, 11:50
If you are fit and healthy with no medical history there is very little chance of failing your medical - colour blindness is just about all that comes to mind

So I would stop worrying

However my hypothetical answer is to steer clear of an industry that is low paid, cyclical and insecure. Most pilots do what they do because they want to fly and despite the rest of the job! Get a degree and look at other avenues involved with aircraft - design, r and d, management, leasing, the travel industry, filming, the oil industry. The list is long

Good luck

Mikeoscar94
27th Dec 2011, 23:08
Hi All,

Thank you for your contributions!

Going for the Class 1 in a few months - hoping to get onto the West Atlantic Cadet 'former fugly' course at Coventry in three years time.

If the Class 1 results in a fail, then I've decided to look at other options:

-Flight ops
-Ground - dispatch/ ramp work
-IT in aviation
-Will consider work for NATS (maybe not as ATCO if fail class 1, does anyone know the requirements for ATSA?)
-Aerial service work ie police, aerial photography etc
-Aviation journalism

-Lastly, I believe commercial work as a balloon pilot only requires a class 2, so that could be an unusual, but maybe fulfilling option! (Still getting paid to fly!)

Keeping my options open!

dlx_xlb
28th Dec 2011, 12:34
If you fail your medical.. You obviously need to find out why..

Then if possible go and fix it...

Not exactly sure what the differences are between class 2 and 1..

I don't know why you just didn't go for a class 1 from the start?

The main reasons are.
- Diabetes
- Colour blindness (ATPL)
- Epilepsy..

If you don't have any reason to believe as to why you will fail a medical.. Then you will have nothing to worry about

Mikeoscar94
28th Dec 2011, 12:47
Hi there,

My only concern is my eyesight.
Short sighted in both eyes.

If anyone can decode this for the then it would be great!

Right eye:
Sph: -2.75
Cyl: -0.75
Axis: 5.0

Left eye:
Sph: -2.75
Cyl: -1.00
Axis: 165.0

captplaystation
28th Dec 2011, 20:00
I had similar concerns back in 1980 when I decided that 3 years spent as a flying instructor (which at that time you could legally do with a PPL / Class3 (?) medical ) may as well lead me to a ATPL as I had the prerequisite 1500hrs to do it the "old way".
My main concerns were A- I was cr@p at Maths, & B - my eyesight

The Maths was OK due to excellent instruction at City of London Poly which enabled me to surpass anything I had ever managed at school, although much of the credit is due to neccessity being the mother of invention . . if I didn't achieve it = no licence, a great motivator.
My medical fears were exacerbated by the guy who did my PPL medical telling me, "well that is OK , but don't think of doing a CPL/ATPL you are out of limits"
As the kindly Doc who did my initial Class1 in the CAA "rocket" building in the centre of London explained, the other Quack was "nearly" right. My myopia was indeed at the max allowable for an initial Class1 , but, he reassured me, would be no problem come renewal time as an allowance was made for deterioration, & even a successful appeal could be justified by virtue of successfully operating for decades without bumping into things.
32 years later, I still scrape through, at the lower end of the visual acuity scale, but it is enough.

Simple answer, find out (or someone here will probably tell you toute suite) the limits for an initial. If you fall within this range, go NOW and do one,because, as I said, renewal limits were (still are? ) lower & you will have it in the pocket.
If you truly want to fly, fess up mate , do the medical, hopefully pass it, & forget any ideas of "what else can I do" unless the result of your medical forces your hand.
Better to put your mind at ease ASAP, or in a worst case scenario, stop dreaming about what you can't have & start making alternative plans.
Depending on your exact problem, I believe laser ops & the like are acceptable, if a year or so is allowed for scar tissue problems etc to be eliminated. . . so "the end", may not neccessarily be so either. :ok:
Keep your chin up, & find out exactly where you stand & whether you can do anything about it if Reqd.

763 jock
28th Dec 2011, 22:27
I have held a Class One with -3.75 since 1985. You should be just fine:ok:

Mikeoscar94
28th Dec 2011, 22:55
Thank you so much everyone - really reassuring!

Usually PPRuNe is noted for having quite a pessimistic member base, but you lot have really shown me different!

Anyway, should be getting my PPL sometime in the next 11 months. You may see me around! (harry potter look-a-like, if you do)

Kind regards.

dlx_xlb
29th Dec 2011, 10:15
If your vision is correctable then you should be fine..

as far as i know, there are no limits as to how bad your eyesight can be

kenparry
29th Dec 2011, 11:22
as far as i know, there are no limits as to how bad your eyesight can be

That may be true where you are, but in Europe there is a limit on how much correction is permitted. Extract below from the current CAA document:

These are the JAR Class 1 visual standards as applied by the UK CAA.

Distance Vision

Your visual acuity (measured by your ability to see, in this case, lines of letters on a chart at 6 metres) must be at least 6/9 in each eye separately and 6/6 using both eyes together, with or without glasses or contact lenses (correction). If you need correction, the refractive error (the amount of correction) must not exceed +5.00 dioptres of long sight or -6.00 dioptres of short sight. This is in the most ametropic meridian (taking into account any astigmatism). Astigmatism must not exceed 2.00 dioptres. The difference in correction between each eye (anisometropia) must not be more than 2.00 dioptres. Your optometrist will be able to explain these terms. If your refraction exceeds the limits stated above, please contact the CAA medical department for further advice.

Near Vision

On the standard near vision eye chart you must be able to read the N5 print between 30 and 50 cm and the N14 print at 100 cm, with or without correction.

HIMSProgram
8th Jan 2012, 16:28
If class 1 fails, there are always great career opportunities at McDonalds

Scott C
8th Jan 2012, 19:43
Awesome...PPRuNe is full of comedians as well as Pilot's! :D

Flyin'Dutch'
26th Jan 2012, 17:03
The standards:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_MED_JAR_C1_Initial_Visual_Stds(December2010).pdf

If you go to The UK Civil Aviation Authority (http://www.caa.co.uk) and then the link to 'safety regulation' -> medical-> forms for download -> bottom of the page -> spectacle calculator you can punch in the numbers and work out if you're OK.

Good luck