PDA

View Full Version : looking to start flying

richman1900
23rd Dec 2011, 19:55
Hey all, Merry Christmas :)

I am Egyptian and i live in Egypt, currently i am 18 years old and i was lookin' where to start to fly, as u all know, the Egyptian aviation academy is REALLY expensive. some people advised me to look for a school in South Africa but am confused about the the License system (FAA/JAA) and conversions,
My plan is to join the faculty of engineering and start flying after i graduate,
in case i didn't find a job in the flying industry (as not to stick myself in a blocked way)

also what airlines would probably hire me?!!

Am also wondering if there was any international cadet program?

one more question, If i had a green card, will the schools in the U.S. consider me as an international student? (i mean i dont need a visa or anything)
Thanks all, and Merry Christmas once more :)

redsnail
23rd Dec 2011, 20:21
Merry xmas to you too. ;)

Righto, main question is "where can I work after I get my licence?"

That's one for you to answer. If you can work in Europe, then look at the JAA/EASA licence. (expensive etc).

If not, then check what Egyptian (and other ME) airlines want. I would concentrate my plans around what those airlines are looking for.

Good luck. :ok:

richman1900
25th Dec 2011, 08:50
Thanks pal,

well, as an Egyptian and not a European citizen, none of the european airlines would hire me, so i will go for the middle east airlines.

but i would be happy if you recommend a cheap school with accommodation that has a good reputation

and another question:
Can't i work with my CPL? i mean in any company for aviation services, i mean those ones that hire private jets

Thanks again, and enjoy your holidays :D

Edited for TXT SPK.
HWB

redsnail
25th Dec 2011, 11:48
G'day,

Firstly, be careful with the idea of "cheap". Cheap doesn't always mean good value. However, I do understand you want good, effective and efficient training.
However, I don't know where you can train in Egypt or if the norm is to train elsewhere (eg USA or South Africa) and convert the licence to an Egyptian one.

I can't recommend a school as I am mainly familiar with the Australian scene and to a lesser extend, the UK scene.

Do you know what the airlines want? Do they hire mainly ex-military pilots? Do they take low houred pilots or only cadets from their schemes? Do they want experience?
This will take a bit of research. :)

When you finish your training, you'll have a CPL and probably an Instrument rating. You'll hopefully also have the ATPL subjects completed too.
That's what you need to get a job. (Plus a lot of other things too)

Bizjets can be tricky to get into. It's often a case of "who you know" and "can you fit in." Amongst other things.

Good luck.

richman1900
25th Dec 2011, 13:06
thx redsnail,

I can understand this very well, but the "who you know" thing is very common here in Egypt, and i don't want to take the military route,

i dont know what to do now, but may God do the best for all of us :)

Merry Christmas :)

richman1900
29th Dec 2011, 16:40
one more question, If i had a green card, will the schools in the U.S. consider me as an international student? (i mean i dont need a visa or anything)

redsnail
29th Dec 2011, 17:00
I haven't a clue WRT the US. Other posters may know.
Sorry.

Gomrath
29th Dec 2011, 17:05
If you hold an I-551 (Permanent Residency Card), you do not need a visa but you will need TSA Security clearance.

However, you say you live in Egypt - so how can you hold a PRC?

richman1900
29th Dec 2011, 17:21
am saying if i hold a green card which is permanent residence