PDA

View Full Version : Airfields in mid-wales

abgd
23rd Dec 2011, 07:44
The 'Llanbedr' thread got me excited, as I think of Llanbedr as Lampeter, a small town south of Aberystwyth. Of course, when I looked it up I found that it was a completely different place, and the airport there doesn't seem to be open to GA any more.

But it prompts me to ask: are there any airstrips in mid-wales around Aberystwyth/Aberaeron? I have never been able to find any mentioned for this area in the past, which must make it one of the worst-served parts of the UK. The closest I can find is Welshpool, which is over an hour away.

muffin
23rd Dec 2011, 13:02
Aberporth is only about 15 miles South of Aberaeron. Nice Tarmac runway etc

Sam Rutherford
23rd Dec 2011, 13:18
Dependant on what you're flying, there are loads of farmstrips and most owners more than happy to let you fly in...

Fly safe, Sam.

jollyrog
23rd Dec 2011, 17:25
Aberporth is great. Don't be put off by the restricted airspace, just phone them first and you'll be made very welcome. Landing fee was beans, from what I remember. I posted a review on the other popular forum.

abgd
26th Dec 2011, 17:39
Thanks for the suggestions - unfortunately even Aberporth is a 2 hour round trip from my parent's house.

I expect I'll be most likely to hire a PA28 in the near future, so I doubt farm strips are much of an option either.

POBJOY
26th Dec 2011, 17:59
"Loads of farm-strips" !!!
How about a few suggestions

dagowly
26th Dec 2011, 18:26
Mid Wales there's a few, but you're after West Wales.

Rod1
26th Dec 2011, 18:56
The obvious choice would be TALYBONT, 11.7 nm from Aberystwyth.

Rod1

abgd
26th Dec 2011, 20:43
That's fantastic - I've found their website and it's nice and close. A bit short for a PA28 but may work out for a C42 or similar.

Thanks.

Rod1
26th Dec 2011, 21:12
We aim to please:)

Rod1

BWBI
28th Dec 2011, 21:33
I would suggest you give Rosemarket Golf Club a try. Grass strip which is basically East / West and very popular with the C42 guys. I have landed my Taylorcraft there and would be Ok for the usual spam can brigade. PPR required on 01437-890281. No ATC so you need to over fly the strip at 800ft so the golfers get out of the way, plus you need to have a good look at the strip as you land between a gap in the hedge!

Strip obviously weather dependent and you park by the cars! Warm welcome assured plus usual golf club faire of bacon sarnies etc.

Located between Haverfordwest ( Who I suggest you talk to on approach ) and Milford Haven (N51'44.50 W004'5792) so just as far West as you can get for this type of strip and certainly a first for most! You could check out taking your clubs if you are into Golf!

Google Rosemarket Airstrip is your friend!

thing
28th Dec 2011, 22:00
What a great idea combining a golf club and airstrip. Bit of a trek for me out to SW Wales, does anybody know of any others where you can walk from the a/c to the clubhouse with your sticks?

NazgulAir
28th Dec 2011, 23:24
Lydd golf club does a pickup. We did a golf outing there with five planes, had a good time.

abgd
8th Jan 2012, 05:47
Dang... I just got my 1/500,000 map and it's the wrong Talybont. :( Still the closest airfield, but unfortunately you need to go inland past the Dovey estuary, then back out to the coast.

Google maps reckons it's 36 miles - a 2 hour round trip.

Thanks for the suggestions re. Rosemarket - unfortunately not really the region I was looking for though, which according to the Welsh assembly is 'Central wales' which isn't a place I knew existed.

srayne
8th Jan 2012, 11:07
What a great idea combining a golf club and airstrip. Bit of a trek for me out to SW Wales, does anybody know of any others where you can walk from the a/c to the clubhouse with your sticks?

Roserrow golf club near Polzeath, Cornwall also has a strip.