PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas 2011

Savoia
23rd Dec 2011, 07:02
This is now my second Christmas on PPRuNe and I wanted to say that I am appreciative of the exchanges of information and opinions which are encountered here.

While I have 'dipped' into other forums across the site I couldn't help but notice that Rotorheads reflects a similar distinctiveness to that which is apparent in the rotary-wing world and which, for me, sets it apart from the other forums. Rotorheads is in fact my first experience of an online community - one through which I have rekindled several former acquaintances while at the same time cultivating new friendships.

During the past year I have come to appreciate some of the idiosyncrasies of specific members and have been educated on a number of issues with which I was previously unfamiliar - all of which have been great. I have also enjoyed a good few exchanges of light-hearted banter with those who are not averse to incorporating a pinch of joviality in their communications. Indeed, I try to keep alive the Colonel's adage that "If you can't have fun doing it .. it isn't worth doing!".

While predominantly "stuck in the past" on Rotorheads I find the contemporary issues no less interesting but .. history is a passion and I subscribe to the train of thought which says that one can only properly perceive the present if one is in possession of an understanding of the past and it is for this reason that I continue to relish the contributions to the various nostalgic threads on the forum.

A year ago I was able to isolate a group of Rotorheads for specific mention but this group has now swelled so as to make repeating this somewhat impractical. I will however mention two people who I believe are worthy of recognition:

Firstly Dennisimo, Dennis (The Menace) Kenyon turns 80 next year and I have to acknowledge what an incredible triumph his life has and continues to be. As a young lad I saw his spirited Enstrom displays (during the 70's) and now some 40 years later he is still at it .. wow! Of course Dennisimo's flying career spans much further back and which makes his achievement all the more impressive. Aside from his numerous airborne accomplishments one of the greatest things I admire about Dennis is his 'approachability'. Dennis has, for as long as I have known him, demonstrated an authentically humble (some might say self-deprecating) spirit and for which he earns my enduring respect.

One of the reasons the Rotary-world is slightly different from many other avenues of aviation is due to the tasks helicopters are often asked to perform and which frequently place craft and crew in harm's way. As a result most of us have lost legions of friends over the years. I compare this (for example) to my elder brother (a driver with BA for over 20 years now) who has never lost a single colleague! But, for Dennis, the 'Rotary Curse' struck much closer to home and which inexorable pain he has had to carry with him over the years. Many-a-time I have prayed for him and his family that they would be comforted. Dennis should know however that he has many other 'sons' out there (and I shamelessly include myself as one of them) who have observed his tenderness of heart, passion for flight and generally down-to-earth nature as inspirations. So, Dennisimo "The Maestro" all the best for the coming year - what an incredible achievement your life is dear friend!

Secondly Senior Pilot, our Rotorheads moderator, who has this year been flying solo after the departure of his long-serving co-pilot (Heliport). Much of his effort goes unnoticed as he diligently works behind the scenes repairing links, re-sizing photographs, answering PM's and generally making the forum 'work'. Crucially, when debates get heated or venture too far off course, he steps in with his usual aplomb and 'sorts it out'. His efforts make a huge difference to the Rotorheads environment. "All good and well" one might say "that's what he's paid to do" but .. I discovered this year that despite PPRuNe's commercial nature .. its moderators are volunteers. This, in my view, makes SP's contribution all the more noteworthy and I am sure I speak for many when I offer my sincere thanks for his tireless efforts.
~ ~ ~
All that remains is to wish you and your loved ones a Merry Christmas and blesséd 2012.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-jVffMio1VB0/TvQ0TYoKi5I/AAAAAAAAG5k/7d9x4kHWf6c/s640/I-TREJ%2525202.png

Manchester
23rd Dec 2011, 08:31
Good speech. Same to you and yours

SilsoeSid
23rd Dec 2011, 08:47
Lovely post Savoia :)

Happy Christmas to everyone and all the best for the New Year :ok:

Thanks to my fellow Pruners for all the discussions over the past year, even the more heated ones. Although most threads have been fun, others have been on more serious topics confirming that every day should be a learning day for us all. This is where PPRuNe comes into its own. Thanks to Senior Pilot for all the hard work.

Hard to believe I know ;) but I can be a bit of a pain, hence the signature on the left, Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer. To those that I've genuinely upset, I'm sorry. Having said that, I will continue to stand in the firing line and take the flack on those posts where even I sometimes wonder if what I have said will upset someone, but I do believe that at times, something needs to be said. Thanks to those that also see that and sometimes even comment support.

My thoughts are with the friends and colleagues we have all lost over the years and of course their families.
To those 'on duty' over the festive period, whatever part of aviation you are in and wherever in the world you may be, fly safe and try and have a good one.
To those away from their families over the period, come home safe and 'Thank You'. :D
I will be toasting your health before having the luxury of tucking in to Christmas Dinner at home.

Have a good one all and here's to another year of interaction on PPRuNe.
Seasons Greetings e-card (http://www.west-midlands.police.uk/christmascard/ecard.asp?id=2)
p.s. Change the number at the end for a different ending

SS

aegir
23rd Dec 2011, 08:59
Merry christmas to all Rotorheads!!!

Tarman
23rd Dec 2011, 09:18
Nice post Sav.

May I also send my appreciation and thanks to your goodself for all the hard work (labour of love ?) that you put in to the various nostalgic threads. They help brighten up many a dull Scottish morning ! Keep up the good work. :D

Merry Christmas and a Guid New Year to PPRuNers everywhere !

Tarman :ok:

9Aplus
23rd Dec 2011, 09:24
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2012. (http://helifor.eu/heliblog/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/helifor-cestitka_2012.jpg)
:ok:

topendtorque
23rd Dec 2011, 21:27
thanks savoia, we need the past to be careful of the future.
mery xmas wishes to all including our society of better halves, especially long termers whirlybird, whirlygig and pandalet, for all of you great sheilas here below is a little something that you may have someone in your life might like to surprise you with.

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201011/r671908_4894623.jpg (http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201011/r671908_4894623.jpg)

and the article it came from

http://www.abc.net.au/rural/content/2011/s3390122.htm (http://www.abc.net.au/rural/content/2011/s3390122.htm)

from me all i can spare is the thought, our industry took a hell of a hit this year rendering most of us skint for a while.

cheers tet

TipCap
23rd Dec 2011, 21:39
From an old not so bold but well retired, have a great Christmas and for those still flying, a very safe year.

Helicopter Aviation has been very kind to me in my career both military and civil and I wish you all that for the future

Best wishes

JohnW :ok:

Thomas coupling
23rd Dec 2011, 21:48
Well crafted Savvy....

Tipcap - exactly my sentiments...To all rotary practitioners - keep the ball in the middle for 2012:D

Soave_Pilot
23rd Dec 2011, 22:07
Santa says Merry Xtmas to all Rotordudes... He told me himself:E:E:E

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/386099_10150414843664437_765509436_8030546_818677245_n.jpg

EN48
24th Dec 2011, 14:37
To All My Left-wing and Liberal Friends:

Please accept with no obligation, implied or expressed, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the summer/winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2012 , but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make Canada and the United States great nations. Not to imply that these two countries are necessarily greater than any other country in the world. Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.

To My Right-wing Friends:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

VeeAny
24th Dec 2011, 14:50
Happy Christmas everyone.

EN48 that was brilliant, brightened my man flu (is that too gender specific?) filled day up no end.

Aser
24th Dec 2011, 15:10
Merry Christmas to all RotorHeads!
Specially to all of you away from home and family. ;)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/396973_10151286153525413_681785412_21985767_1915636922_n.jpg ?dl=1

My best regards.
Aser

paco
24th Dec 2011, 16:20
All the best! Rotorheads is definitely the best forum anywhere! :)

Phil

Gordy
24th Dec 2011, 18:00
EN48---herewith the rest of the "legal bits":

In the interest of being politically correct and not upsetting any third parties, I did some research, sought legal assistance and felt the following would meet those requirements for any "official" greeting that may be sent out by myself... Hopefully the "official" greeting cards have not gone to the printer yet.

From me ("the wishor") to you ("the wishee's")
Please accept without obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, politically correct, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

I wish you a financially successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2008, but with due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures or sects, and having regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, choice of computer platform or sexual preference of the wishee. By accepting this greeting you are bound by the below cited terms and that this greeting is subject to further clarification or withdrawal:

1.This greeting is freely transferable provided that no alteration shall be made to the original greeting and that the proprietary copyright rights of the wishor's are acknowledged.

2.This greeting implies no promise by the wishor to actually implement the inferences contained in this correspondence.

3.This greeting may not be enforceable in certain jurisdictions and/or the restrictions herein may not be binding upon certain wishee's in certain geographical locations.

4.This greeting is warranted to perform as reasonably as may be expected within the usual application of good tidings, for a period of one year or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first.

5.The wishor warrants this greeting only for the limited replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wishor's....

Ya got it?.

Well, we could just risk it anyway and say,

”A SUPER 2012 TO Y'ALL!”

birrddog
24th Dec 2011, 19:08
Merry Christmas all, and a healthy, prosperous and fun 2012 to you too!

EN48
24th Dec 2011, 19:28
herewith the rest of the "legal bits":

Great addition! Will add this language to assure political correctness. What is this world coming to?!:bored:

Bladecrack
24th Dec 2011, 20:17
Festive greetings to all fellow rotorheads, especially those Police & HEMS pilots and crews working the next couple of days (like me :{) in the UK, and all over the world!!

Merry Xmas & fly safe.

BC.

DennisK
24th Dec 2011, 22:11
Yes Savoia ... a warm, thoughtful and comforting post and in reply I have to say a huge 'thanks' for your kind words. I'm far from certain that I warrant them all ... but just to tell you and my fellow pruners, that it always gives me much pleasure to contribute anything from my aviation experiences (now sixty years) in this wonderful industry. It seems just yesterday that I met your good self and the charismatic Colonel 'Bob' Smith when you walked into my spanking new Skyline offices at Wycombe Air Park, but I guess it was circa summer 1983. You would have been 17 perhaps, which would have made me a whisker over fifty! You are now an experienced commercial rotary flyer and the dear Colonel is in happy retirement way down south. Aviation and in particular the rotary kind has been especially good to me and apart from the personal family horror of March 2000, I have to say, the last thirty or so years have been the happiest of my life. In helicopter aviation, I've met many wonderful people and been able to fly so many interesting rotary types. Savoia, as you christened me 'Dennisimo' I warm to your idea of your being a son ... the son I lost perhaps but whose memory remains. I'd like to think I can remain active in aviation for another few years at least ... but perhaps now in words only. And in closing my Christmas message, I want to thank the
many aviation people who have befriended and encouraged me over the years. You know who you are and I'd need a new dedicated thread to name the names of you all. May I wish ppruners, and in particular those with whom I've flown, the very happiest of Christmastides and a wonderful and safe 2012for all ... as the great CD wrote ... "God bless us - everyone."

Dennis Kenyon. Christmas 2011

Senior Pilot
24th Dec 2011, 22:53
To all our Rotorheads around the world;

Joyeux Noël
Καλά Χριστούγεννα
Gleđileg jól
Frohe Weihnachten
Bade Din ki Mubarak
Nollaig Shona Dhuit
Buon Natale
Selamat Hari Natal
Kreesmasko shubhkaamnaa
Meri Kirihimete
barka dŕ Kirsěmatě
Glćdelig Jul
Wesołych Świąt
'S Rozhdestvom khristovym
Nollaig Chridheil
Geseënde Kersfees
Feliz Navidad
God Jul
Chuć Mưǹg Giańg Sinh

And in our common language

Happy Christmas

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/theclash1090/Military%20Humor/image_20.jpg

Thank you for all your support in 2011 :cool:

helirally
25th Dec 2011, 14:39
Just an extra Merry Christmas to all of us working on Christmas day wherever you are.

unstable load
25th Dec 2011, 15:18
And to you , too. :ok::ok:

vaibronco
25th Dec 2011, 15:25
That's Merry Christmas in italian.
No hems calls today in north west tuscany :)
Ciao!

echelipilot
25th Dec 2011, 16:02
Thats Merry Christmas in german.
We had one call at about midnight but had to cancel the flight due to wx after 10 minutes.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!

Best regards

Tom

grumpytroll
25th Dec 2011, 16:48
I am happily here and have had my first nap. We will be having Christmas Dinner at 2. Nurse, medic and pilot. Pork chops, salad and desert. Pager should sound around 215. And so it goes...

cheers

Milo C
25th Dec 2011, 17:06
Also on duty here in Spain, with Cava and Turron.
Feliz Navidad a todos

HueyDog
25th Dec 2011, 17:10
Merry Christmas to you all and I hope you can soon be home with families. You guys and girls deserve all of our thanks for keeping things going when most are off enjoying the holidays or for keeping medical services available for the rest of us.

In the meantime grumpytroll, you are welcome to send some of those pork chops this way.

heloguy412
25th Dec 2011, 18:04
One mission cancelled over accident scene in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Turkey sandwiches upon return to base were better than no turkey at all.

Cheers

MightyGem
25th Dec 2011, 18:09
Merry Christmas from Cheshire Air Support. Up for an hour earlier, looking for the usual from a domestic "I'm going to kill myself" argument. He came home an hour later. :ugh: Still, got us flying. :ok:

Devil 49
25th Dec 2011, 20:22
from the foothills of the Smoky Mountains.

Dead quiet last night and Christmas morning. I'm just up from a good day of sleep, getting ready for a busy night.

Peter PanPan
26th Dec 2011, 10:46
Merry Christmas to y'all and a tremendous 2012!