PDA

View Full Version : The Shepherd - Frederick Forsyth

The Old Fogducker
23rd Dec 2011, 05:51
This is one of my first posts on PRUNE in several years, so if this should be moved, feel free to do so.

To obtain a 30 meg file sized MP3 of this excellent audio production, here's a link to follow for a download.

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/1323693186/a85a76c1ab8ff0cc36e87a8330b3a251

The Shepherd relates the story of a De Havilland Vampire pilot, going home on Christmas Eve 1957, whose aircraft suffers a complete electrical failure en route from RAF Celle in northern Germany to RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk.

Lost in fog and low on fuel, he is met and led (or shepherded) to a disused RAF dispersal field by the pilot of a De Havilland Mosquito fighter-bomber of World War II vintage, who has apparently been sent up to guide him in.

His attempts to find a rational explanation for his eventual rescue prove as troublesome as his experience. However, some time after he lands at the airfield—the fictional RAF Minton—he learns that his saviour was Johnny Kavanagh, a wartime RAF pilot who had been stationed at Minton and who had guided crippled bombers home.

The Vampire pilot also learns that Kavanagh disappeared over the North Sea in his Mosquito on his last mission, on Christmas Eve, exactly fourteen years before.

Forsyth created as an original work as a Christmas gift to his wife after she requested a ghost story be written for her. Written on Christmas Day, and published near that time a year later, the idea came while trying to think of a setting away from the typical haunted homes, and seeing planes flying overhead. Many have speculated references to preexisting RAF folklore. While Forsyth was a former RAF pilot and could have heard and adapted such a story (either with or without the intent to do so) no references or anecdotal evidence have been put forward to support such claims.

Beginning in 1979 the story has been broadcast each year on Christmas Eve on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) Radio programme As It Happens, read by the late Alan Maitland.

Akrotiri bad boy
23rd Dec 2011, 07:49
This book has been on my shelf since 1976. It's a cracking little yarn with some super illustrations and written with Forsyth's usual attention to detail.

When The Shepherd was published Forsyth had only three books to his name, each had been researched to such an extent that it gave the impression that the author had been involved in certain aspects of his stories. This tale is no different in that respect.

I can recommend taking 30mins out with this book and a wee dram:ok:

Noyade
23rd Dec 2011, 08:05
1975 for me.

I ripped mine out of the December 1975 issue of The Australian Women's Weekly. :)

SPOILER ALERT.

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/8476/img301k.jpg (http://img838.imageshack.us/i/img301k.jpg/)

teeteringhead
23rd Dec 2011, 10:31
Excellent story. Think I bought it for Milady Teeters Christmas '75 or '76 - mostly so I could read it (quel romantique eh!) :ok:

Wander00
23rd Dec 2011, 11:28
It is a VERY good yarn, but then Frederick Forsyth is, imho, in the top league of writers

waco
23rd Dec 2011, 15:45
I shall sit and read on Christmas eve with a large glass of red.

And toast all those who gave up their future Christmas's so that I may enjoy mine.

To you and yours I salute you.

And if you are working this Christmas....take care....

evansb
23rd Dec 2011, 16:36
For more than twenty years, CBC Radio airs Forsyth's "The Shepherd", narrated by the late Alan (Fireside Al) Maitland. The story usually airs on the last weekday before Christmas on the CBC radio current affairs programme, "As It Happens".

For many Canadians, listening to "The Shepherd" is a Christmas tradition.

Rory57
23rd Dec 2011, 21:03
When you have read/listened to The Shepherd, try Stranger to the Ground by Richard Bach. F84F instead of Vampire, different ending, every bit as atmospheric.

The Old Fogducker
25th Dec 2011, 01:44
I'm gratified that the previous link was so popular that it "timed out" when it reached 100 downloads.

I've prepared a new link ... also good for 100 downloads.

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/1324792788/b53d61a433d7c62584cf3874e80f7d63

Enjoy!

Merry Christmas my fellow aviators.

Regards from
The Old Fogducker

brakedwell
25th Dec 2011, 14:46
Fred was a national service trainee pilot at Swinderby during the time I was there in 1956/57, although I didn't get to know him as he was a couple of courses behind us. This accounts for his intimate knowledge of the Vampire.

GQ2
25th Dec 2011, 22:28
I remember this book too, - a nice little atmospheric tale. Does anyone else remember, years ago, there was a persistent story that did the rounds, about a ghostly Wimpy that used to trundle around Wales at night....? I've never been superstitious myself, but many a dark night amongst the clouds over those black hills, I thought of those two tales...

Krystal n chips
26th Dec 2011, 08:35
GQ2

Never heard about the Wales Wellington, however, the Dark Peak area has more than it's fair share of accidents / fatalities and equally ( excluding the fruitloop fraternity ) unexplained incidents over the years.

Ghost Fliers | (http://drdavidclarke.co.uk/urban-legendary/ghost-fliers/)

Whether people choose to believe, or not, is entirely their prerogative of course, but having walked across the area in my youth, I am firmly in the "more things in heaven and earth " camp in this respect.Whilst I have never seen / heard any unexplained aerial activity, there are plenty of locations where things just do not feel right so to speak.

Ironically, and as ever with the RAF, one of the best albeit accidental developments as a result of the accidents, was the embryonic RAF MRT service based near Buxton.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
26th Dec 2011, 10:20
While on the subject of ghost planes over the Peak, does anyone recall the sighting of a UFO by the crew of a BA BAC 1-11 descending into Manchester Airport? They described the craft as black and triangualr, and passed them going the opposite direction. Nothing was seen on radar by the Manchester controllers.

One of the crew drew a sketch, and it seem that mystery plane may well have been a US stealth bomber.

Dr Jekyll
26th Dec 2011, 14:27
There were rumours of a D notice issued regarding strange aircraft around NW England, purportedly connected with stealth UAVs out of Warton.