PDA

View Full Version : Ray of light

oldschooljenko
23rd Dec 2011, 03:31
In the air near mount isa last night about 3am saw a beam of light down towards the south east. It stayed there until the sun came up. At first thought it was a searchlight or something, but it never got any closer. Then thought maybe it could have been a comet. Did anyone else see it or know what it was?

strim
23rd Dec 2011, 03:33
Don't you read the news?

Kharon
23rd Dec 2011, 03:40
Great Christmas Comet + Ben Sandilands + Plane Talking.

Worth a read.

M.C.

MyNameIsIs
23rd Dec 2011, 03:45
Saw something last night in Melbourne's east, very bright singular white light. Travelled quite fast (definately not a plane), I didn't pay too much attention and thus cannot remember approximate direction of travel but I would guess north-east.

Methinks at first someone sent up a flare, but was more likely to be a comet, it was noticably bigger and brighter than what I would call a typical shooting star. Didn't see any noticable trail though.

Maybe UFO? :eek:

A bit of searching comes up with comet "Lovejoy" that might match your description, jenko.

oldschooljenko
23rd Dec 2011, 03:45
Hey kahron, thanks for the response.

Strim, usually after flying all night I'm doing better things like sleeping

Captain Nomad
23rd Dec 2011, 04:00
Nah, you are all wrong... It was a secret undercover MIB operation to extract some little green men that got disoriented and had an out landing after almost colliding with Santa's pre-Christmas test flight! I hear Rudolph has ordered a new pair of reindeer pants! Apparently the little green men were told to install ADS-B... :E

Kharon
23rd Dec 2011, 06:30
Strim:-
Don't you read the news?

This guy is a real pilot - freight dog. Big loads on time. etc.

Tosser - Clearly, you have never been out the back of the Isa at 3am or you would know how hard it is to even get a good sleep, eat a meal and try to recover over the weekend, let alone buy a newspaper, sit and read the wretched thing till you discover a 4 line article about a comet.

Real Pilots notice these things, wonder at them and are in awe of the size of heaven, the smallness we are in the scale of things and can still, knackered, at 4 am land beautifully off an hard fought NDB approach, when no one noticed, shrug it off as another long night; shuffle off to sleep when the world is waking and still have enough 'wonder' left of the world to ask a question.

Mate, if you are not with the casa, join in; the lobotomy doesn't hurt a bit

P.S. Nomad is actually spot on.

kingRB
23rd Dec 2011, 08:05
Kharon :D

I need me some of what you are on!

tail wheel
23rd Dec 2011, 08:47
http://media.skyandtelescope.com/images/Comet_Lovejoy_Legg_22Dec2011.jpg

Picture-perfect Comet Lovejoy (C/2011 W3) hangs in the predawn sky over Mandurah Estuary near Perth, Australia. Photographer Colin Legg captured the comet and its reflection in a 13-second exposure with a 70-mm f/4 lens at ISO 3200.

VH-XXX
23rd Dec 2011, 11:23
Lovejoy literally sh*its on Haley's. Haley's was NOTHING in comparison. Would have been interesting to see that one, thanks TW.

Checkboard
23rd Dec 2011, 18:53
Maybe it was a Madonna concert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTe1Gq3BxR8&feature=related