PDA

View Full Version : Recount of an engine failure over LA by the pilot.

AdamFrisch
22nd Dec 2011, 15:05
Interesting.

Derek Bell - Responding to an engine failure in an A-Star - YouTube

rotor67
22nd Dec 2011, 18:05
I was there when he was telling the story...not a lot of time, but he milked it as long as he could do get it back to the airport! Derek is an amazing pilot, and a super nice guy. He was very humble about it all!

Thomas coupling
22nd Dec 2011, 18:19
He did a range engine off to the airfield - Nothing more, nothing less, except for low Nr at the end chopping off his tail. That's what range EOL's are for aren't they?
Why is he doing a press release about it?

Another good reason why the Uk has twin engine limits over congested areas:rolleyes:

sycamore
22nd Dec 2011, 22:03
T-C,a little `un-gracious` of you I think...Perhaps you could tell us how many range autos you have had to do`in anger`....and it does`nt matter how many engines you have,either...

Actually ,he`s in a `classroom` ,and may be passing on his `experience` to guys who may not be `experts`,but who will possibly have learned a valuable lesson...even yourself..

AnFI
23rd Dec 2011, 00:30
"Another good reason why the Uk has twin engine limits over congested areas"

WAT?

landing with out any negative consequences! it's actually another reason why a twin is not neccessary - with it's reduced reliability , reduced payload and reduced margin for other critical components (eg AW139) and increased COST !!

US is wealthier than the UK but still does not pay daft budgets for pointless twin engined helicopters (in general) ... why do the Brits?

Rip-off the tax payer?

A little practice and, once in a blue moon, if an engine (of all things!!) did fail - then you too might just inconsequentially land it also - saving the need for us all to have purchased you an excessively expensive twin ... ?

Time to stop over-indulding the public purse...

New job TC? - let us know eh?

tistisnot
23rd Dec 2011, 01:52
The dangers of YouTube!

19 year old fare-dodger on train, ticket collector pleads for reason but teenager ignores official, Big burly annoyed fellow passenger, WTF, does what everyone then cheers, and ejects surprised youth! You Tube it ...... And the police then charge common law-abiding citizen for being the bad boy! Perspectives ....... Judge ye not .....

WOMBAT45
23rd Dec 2011, 09:41
I don't often comment but well done Mr Bell!

I thought T-C's comment was a little un-called for.

New job T-C? Mmmmmm!

Thomas coupling
23rd Dec 2011, 11:23
Ah, gets the old juices going.....

Now then- a 350b without a tail, new rotor head and blades, new undercarriage, etc etc. How's about: £500,000 ($700,000). All because of a hi sided governor failure (runaway up for us brits).
If that had been a twin - resetting the governor would be around an hours labour: maybe $150. Mmm?

And just to rub it in a little more - if he didn't happen to have an airfield the size of australia under him at the time - and had to force land into the high street - maybe $20,000,000+ law suit (if he survived the landing of course).

Now how many hours could I fly in my twin, before that bill was notched up?

Compare the fuss he made of it in his "presentation" and the momentary distraction I had when one of my compressor blades decided to go walk about over a city a few years ago - mashing the engine. Switch it off, loiter to tell ATC whats happening and go land over there a mile or so away on someone's private airstrip to take a look what all the fuss was about.

You yanks honestly...watch out for the book, film, T shirt next :rolleyes:

Epiphany
23rd Dec 2011, 14:46
watch out for the book, film, T shirt next:rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly when watching the video. Sullyitis I think it is called.

AnFI
24th Dec 2011, 01:41
and had to force land into the high street - maybe $20,000,000+ law suit (if he survived the landing of course).

How much did it cost to drop a Squirrel in the attic in Wales? Nothing like $20m!!!
Pedal fear for engines if it makes you feel better - but it costs the tax payer a fortune .... with no real upside.

Matari
24th Dec 2011, 13:06
I'm not sure why some think this pilot is some publicity-seeking hound, with the fawning masses ready to crown him the new "Sully."

He was speaking at a safety course, which was filmed for a podcast at CopterCast Homepage (http://www.coptercast.com). I'm sure the UK and OZ have similar informal meetings, and if not perhaps they should.

This industry benefits from open dialogue. Sharing experiences--good and bad--is beneficial to all.

Shell Management
24th Dec 2011, 13:25
More glorifying of unsafe single engined practices.

MamaPut
24th Dec 2011, 14:50
SM
unsafe single engined practices.

Would you care to comment on the number of unsafe single engine failures in the last 10 years in the Nigerian offshore industry and the engine failure in an EC155 operating for Shell in Nigeria in the last few months, which seems to have attracted no attention or comments on Prune?

Would you care to comment on Shell's introduction to service of a supposedly very safe new type which seems to have problems with its rear end - rather like yourself :}

Matari
24th Dec 2011, 16:28
Shell,

Who is glorifying? Do you not understand the context of this pilot's talk?

One would hope that those in "management" would want to encourage open dialogue.

snotcicles
24th Dec 2011, 16:41
I'm unsure what "unsafe single engine practices" were going on if they walked away unhurt. So the a/c got a little bent... twins have been there too.