PDA

View Full Version : Yet more taxes

crewmeal
22nd Dec 2011, 05:43
It seems that there are certain people out there determined to undermine the world of UK aviation. First we have our Chancellor who is raising APD by up to 10% from April next year. Now we have Brussels with their 'green' tax wef
Jan 1st.

Higher plane fares on the way? EU can apply emissions surcharge to ALL flights, judge rules | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2077055/Higher-plane-fares-way-EU-apply-emissions-surcharge-ALL-flights-judge-rules.html)

ExXB
22nd Dec 2011, 09:11
It's not a tax that will be shown on your ticket - but airfares will have to rise to cover the additional costs.

In effect the airlines serving Europe had to declare their actual CO2 output during 2010. In 2012 they will receive 'carbon-credits' that cover 85% of what they produced in 2010. If they exceed this 85% figure they will have to buy 'carbon-credits' on the free market to cover any excess.

The objective obviously is to encourage a reduction in overall CO2 output but it is overly complicated, based on questionable data (Eurocontrol guesses), and will benefit the Europeans at the cost of the rest of the world. (i.e. An airline buys a new fuel-efficient plane, where is it going to put it? Domestic routes, or routes to Europe). The Chinese are particularly angry as they are just beginning to catch of to the Europeans it terms of capacity, frequency, etc. It is going to cost them a great deal of money to grow, rising their costs to equal or exceed the European airlines costs.

It would have been much simpler to just add $0.10 tax on fuel purchased in Europe. While contrary to the Chicago Convention 1944, so is this scheme (despite the ruling of the ECJ which does not have the competency to rule on international law)

radeng
22nd Dec 2011, 13:08
ExXB

What does the ECJ have the competence to rule on? They don't seem to have managed to show it so far.

flyingfemme
22nd Dec 2011, 15:38
Recently I have been bombarded with "investment" opportunities in carbon credit trading. So it would seem that the airline traveller will also be lining the pockets of the speculators.

MathFox
22nd Dec 2011, 16:15
Recently I have been bombarded with "investment" opportunities in carbon credit trading.
It could also be people trying to cash on "stolen"* CO2 production credits.

Stolen within quotes as technically they were fraudulently transferred after hacking into the "CO2-credit-trade" computers in some EU countries.

tsgas
22nd Dec 2011, 18:37
Europe is becoming a basket case with all their foolish "climate change" insanity.

757_Driver
22nd Dec 2011, 19:32
it could potentially get very serious.
The US government have passed legislation that makes it illegal for any US carrier to pay this tax. The EU govenment claim (wrongly) that it will be illegal for them to not pay the tax.
Hillary Clinton has promised "retalliation" if this goes ahead. US airspace closed to EU carriers? US airspace charges to EU carriers? Who knows. But if the US and EU bang heads theres only going to be one winner.
The chinese and russians and indians have also threatened retalliation. - anyone fancy flying east without going through Chinese, russian or indian airspace?
Clearly the EU have not thought this through and are so arrogant that they think their little unelected dictatorship over europe has global powers.
The EU's legal claim is that the EU never signed the chicago convention. All the member countries did but the EU as an organisation didn't. This perverse logic can be applied to pretty much every treaty going - so I'd reakon on some pretty heavy threats from the rest of the world about this fairly soon. God knows why we are still members of this moronic club!:ugh::ugh:

crewmeal
23rd Dec 2011, 07:27
It's not a tax that will be shown on your ticket - but airfares will have to rise to cover the additional costs.

Call it what you like, dress it up how you like it's still extortion by a group of people who live off taxpayers money making stupid decisions without thinking of the consequences.

God knows why we are still members of this moronic club!

I couldn't agree more. But that's another story.

PAXboy
23rd Dec 2011, 14:58
But this is how empires crumble!! Every company/organisation/charity WILL get ideas above it's stated objectives and WILL demand too much and WILL fail.

This has been going on since our antecedents stood on their hind legs. The poeple doing this are just following their basic human instincts.

Accordingly, there is nothing to be done and within 100 years (or much less!) the full balance of power will have moved decisively to the east. Where it will remain for several hundred years - possibly even a thousand.

During that time, the West will shrink economically and be a less pleasant place to live. Eventually, our manufacturing costs will have lowered to the point where Eastern and Middle Eastern countries start outsourcing to us. This will cause our value to rise and the whole happy cycle continues. :ok:

So, there is nothing to be done about these taxes, as the cycle is already so far advanced that changing/deleting them will make no difference to the long term. Yes, it might have a slight effect in the short term - but nothing to write home about. So, sit back and enjoy the holiday season as the great cycle of life continues.

;) :E :eek: :ugh: :{ etcetera

vctenderness
23rd Dec 2011, 15:44
What annoys me is that a few years ago all of this Eco/green/climate change/ global warming tosh was a few half-wits like Swampy and his band of merry morons. Now it is main stream government policy.

They soon cottoned on to something that can't be proved but can be used against the populace to bully and tax with impunity.

When will people fight back?

GrahamO
23rd Dec 2011, 18:05
When will people fight back?

They will not as most are supportive of living in a non-polluted environment and one in which the polluter pays.

As it is today, non-flyers are subsidising the flyers through the inequitable contributions of environmental tax levies. By creating this levy, it will not be necessary to increase another non-aviation related levy, thereby achieving said objective, of 'polluter pays'. Those who fly more will pay more for their pollution - those who fly less will in effect pay less.

And it will encourage companies to pollute less, use more efficient and clean aircraft and to not run 'empty flights' just to keep landing slots.

All of which are in the mind sight of the public.

radeng
24th Dec 2011, 10:55
If many of us didn't fly, we wouldn't be exporting, and the greenies would have to literally live off the land. I export intellectual property - my professional competence - and in return, import money. I do not have any UK customers. So these taxes just go to make the business less competitive, which has a knock on effect for the UK as a whole as well as for me.