PDA

View Full Version : ESTAs / ETAs, etc

Peter47
21st Dec 2011, 20:01
I had to get an ESTA for the US last year and helped my mother get an ETA for Oz.

Does anyone know what is the process is? Is there a procedure where the UK confirms that the applicant does not have a criminal record? If this is the case presumably there is an agreement between states as to what would be supplied?

I know that there was an issue in the European Parliament last year about the release of information to the US Dept of Homeland Security for passengers on outbound flights.

I'm not interested in details (which are doubtless best left secret) but in the generalities.

ExXB
22nd Dec 2011, 08:57
The ESTA replaces the paper form that 'visa-waiver' passengers used to fill out on the flight. I do not believe the US has an agreement with the UK, any other EU nation (which would be contrary to EU data privacy law anyway), or any other third country for exchange of information to verify ESTA data. The US does have an agreement with the EU on sharing PNR (Passenger Name Record) data - but this data does not include the data the US is seeking.

My goodness, how would anyone else interpret 'Moral Turpitude'.

ETA is similar I believe, they rely on you to be honest.