PDA

View Full Version : 3d gps flight tracking for android.

boguing
20th Dec 2011, 20:16
Completely unexpectedly, I will be getting a short introduction to aerobatic flight in a very capable aircraft next week.

Very excited, obviously.

I have an android pad, running android 3.2.1, and would like to record as much as possible.

Track in 3d (to display in Google Earth or other mappiing software), heading (using the fluxgate compass) and the Gs achieved using the accelerometers. Will want to record some video, so don't really want to be switching apps while trying to hold breakfast down. (Shouldn't be a problem, but better safe than sorry). Is there anything that can do all of that?

Not a complete idiot so won't be expecting to hold it and figured out a way of wearing it securely when it weighs two or three Kgs.

Any reccomendations folks?

Bit bamboozled by all the apps available, and don't mind paying.

As a thank you, I will put the result up for view if I'm not as robust as I think. If I am, it won't be that exciting, so I won't bore you.

BackPacker
21st Dec 2011, 13:02
Just mount it securely and use it as a video camera. Headings, altitude, G etc. is just meaningless numbers. And if you really do want to see those numbers, make sure the panel is in view - the instruments on there are much more accurate.

englishal
21st Dec 2011, 13:06
One forumite on Flyer wrote an android program called EFIS. This records all the sensor data and writes it to a log file which can be loaded into Excel or similar later and graphs generated showing various parameters such as altitude, G's, etc...The track file can be loaded into Google Earth. It is cool. There is also one called Androidsensor which does a similar thing.

Nasty_Nick
21st Dec 2011, 15:50
I use an app made by google called My Tracks to record my flights on my android phone. When you record a route, you get 3 pages of information:

It plots the route on google maps

It shows your elevation and speed together on a graph

The 3rd page contains loads of information like distance, max speed, average speed, time, elevation gain, min and max elevation, min and maximum climb/descent grades.

The route can be exported to excel. You maybe able to plot on google earth as well to see a 3D representation of it as well, but never tried that.

boguing
21st Dec 2011, 19:05
BP. Lesson one. Always buy your kids good presents. I shall wear my Pa's leather WWII helmet and goggles, with my son's HD helmet cam attached - bought for his birthday last month.

EH. Thanks for that. Will have a search for EFIS, but if anybody knows the ppruner, could they alert him/her?

NN. Thanks for that too. Any idea if it can record Gs from the accelerometer/s?

Nasty_Nick
21st Dec 2011, 19:34
No it can't record G's.

boguing
21st Dec 2011, 19:46
NN. I'll give My Tracks a try on the car, and hope that someone happens along with G recording.

The pad responds to tilt on all three planes, but I have no idea how many gyros it has, and whether they know to look for more than a bit more or less than 1G... That might be an operating system decision.

Nasty_Nick
21st Dec 2011, 20:07
android accelerometer recorder - Google Search (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=android%20accelerometer%20recorder)

The first five links from this search look like they might do what you're after.

boguing
21st Dec 2011, 23:08
NN.

Thank you. I'll try them all, but even the first one looks like it's on the same carol sheet.

Your intarweb searches seem to be more clever than mine - for which I thank you.