PDA

View Full Version : What are your flying 'goals'?

rich_g85
21st Dec 2011, 09:13
I'm the sort of person that always needs to be working towards something, so I was just curious to find out what goals (if any) you want to acheive with your flying, be they short, medium or long-term. Personally, my short-term goal is to take both of my parents flying and complete my night qualification. Longer term I want to complete further training (CPL, FI) with the ultimate aim of instructing part-time. Over to you :)

chipmeisterc
21st Dec 2011, 09:37
-Never to get complacent with my preflighting / planning / flying.
-Never to bust my personal minimums.

:)

Genghis the Engineer
21st Dec 2011, 09:57
I'm not working actively on this at the moment, but by the end of my life, to be flying something that I designed, built and test flew myself.

For now however, at-least 100 hrs.pa for an annual expenditure of under £4k. This year I managed the 100 hrs bit! Next year, with enough instruction coming along, I'm optimistic.

And whilst I'd like to die doing something I like doing, on net a heart attack whilst making love to my wife on my 100th birthday is my preferred option, rather than whilst flying.

G

dan_vector
21st Dec 2011, 10:40
Hi there. Congrats on your PPL. My first passengers were my parents. It was a fantastic feeling to finally share your passion for flying with them!!

I am looking at doing a night qualification at Bournemouth in Jan/Feb as I too live in Yeovil (small world!) it would be great to meet up and chat about the possibilities and also get some cost share flying in the very near future!

Let me know what you think.

My short term goals are NQ followed by a trip to the channel islands or northern France in the summer. Longer term goals are an IMCR or whatever EASA will call it!

Cheers, Dan.

AdamFrisch
21st Dec 2011, 13:32
My goal is to earn enough money in my career to afford having an all weather long range tourer enabling me to never have to fly with the airlines again. Maximum freedom and flexibility. This pretty much means a Rockwell Commander 1000. I'm not very close to my goal.

deanoplane
21st Dec 2011, 13:41
1000 hours total flying time has always been my goal. I've now done 999 hours and 10 minutes. I fly a Commander 114.

Katamarino
21st Dec 2011, 14:17
Short term (1-5 years): Flights from Rotterdam to Morocco, also a flying safari in South Africa, and flying trips around the NW USA and Australia.

Medium term: (5 - 10 years): Buy my own aircraft; C182 Diesel crammed full of extra fuel tanks

Long term: (10+ years): Fly said C182 around the world, all around Africa, and ultimately try and land in every country in the world.

Well, you've got to have a hobby...

FlyingLapinou
21st Dec 2011, 14:50
Good thread, rich_g85. :ok:

Deanoplane, hello - I'd say welcome to the forum, but I don't feel I've been around long enough myself. Hope you can squeeze in those 50 minutes before the end of the year - let us know! I'd like to have hit 200 hours by Dec. 31st, but I need another 4.5 hour and with the miserable weather we've got right now.... well, you never know, I might manage it.

Goal for 2012 is to get a basic aerobatics sign-off in a Cap 10. On this side of La Manche, it's called the "premier cycle" and covers +G manoeuvres only. Takes about 15 hours, I've been told. I guess I better have a back-up goal if the first lesson is a disaster :E

Geng the Eng: you're obviously an old romantic! :)

Good luck to everyone with your goals and safe flying.

AndoniP
22nd Dec 2011, 08:00
the missus is expecting in the middle of January so my primary goal is to try and save up enough money to go flying at least once a month :(

second goal - to do the night qualification.

As I'll be supporting the family for 9 months I don't think I'll be able to do much else other than build up some P1 time this year.

Poeli
22nd Dec 2011, 09:15
Find the time and money to start the PPL on the short term. Long term I don't know yet, who knows what is possible!

Sir George Cayley
22nd Dec 2011, 11:34
I only have one goal. Not to crash;)

SGC

'Chuffer' Dandridge
22nd Dec 2011, 11:35
For 2012:

To end the year without hitting the ground or anyone else and having as many landings as take-offs. Also not becoming a statistic to be speculated about on this Forum.

Taking my aeroplane back to it's birthplace in France, and landing at Barra.

Other than that, carry on as before flying 100hrs/yr+ and to continue spending my daughter's inheritance.:ok:

Gertrude the Wombat
22nd Dec 2011, 13:42
the missus is expecting in the middle of January so my primary goal is to try and save up enough money to go flying at least once a month In my case that was thirteen years away from flying, until such time as the childcare bills were no longer the largest item on our budget.

AndoniP
22nd Dec 2011, 13:53
wow, GtW, how did it feel being back? was there absolutely no flying whatsoever in those 13 years?

i only got my ppl earlier this year, so would like to fly whenever possible.

were you professionally qualified before having children?

Jan Olieslagers
22nd Dec 2011, 15:57
I feel my answer might be disappointing, sorry but it is what it is : my flying goals have been aerodromes, up till now. And they have always worked very well so I see no need for change, as yet. Perhaps one day I'get bored with them, I'll look into that if and when it comes.

Morris542
22nd Dec 2011, 16:08
1. Not to crash

2. Fly as often as I can (money permitting) and learn as much as I can during those flights.

GeeWhizz
22nd Dec 2011, 17:29
my flying goals have been aerodromes, up till now. And they have always worked very well so I see no need for change, as yet.

Ditto to that Jan :ok:

My New Years Flying Resolutions are...

1. Fly something more powerful and manoeuvrable (plans underway for January ;)). Also within this one is to gain complex 'ticks' i.e. tailwheel, VP prop, retractable, G1000, and possibly turbo.

2. Make a Channel crossing to anywhere on the continent (twice perhaps).

3. Dawn til Dusk challenge (if it's still being run(?)). Edit to add that I've just seen the Dusk Til Dawn thread... screw that! Summer nights are shorter too ;)

pitofrost
22nd Dec 2011, 18:11
On getting my PPL they were:

1. Get my night rating
2. Over the course of a summer fly round the coast of England and Wales - in bits every week or so, as I thought that would make me do lots of different cross countries.

Change in financial circumstances mean that it is now to stay current, whilst still having fun.

Flipski10
22nd Dec 2011, 19:40
Hi all. I think this is my first ever post so go easy on me.

My goals are:

2012 - CPL ME
2013 - FI
2014 - IR

Once I have these I will see what the industry is like and take things from there. Rightly or wrongly I wouldnt rule out P2F but it all depends on how the industry is shaping up. In the meantime I am fortunate enough to have a steady income and the opportunity to strive for the above targets and gain as much experience on as many different aircraft types as possible. I would even contemplate a sea plane rating but keeping it current would be a bit of a problem I think.

Good to hear everyone elses intentions and directions.

Doodlebug
22nd Dec 2011, 21:29
Gliders: 1000 km
Pisscats: my own little classic, preferably a taildragger (Aero 45, sigh.. )
The Flying Computer: to reach retirement without having bent any iron

- wait, wait, even better: that the wife finally wins something with those goddamned lottery-tickets she insists on buying, thereby setting me up with the time and moolah needed for the first two, and eliminating the Flying Computer from my life entirely! :ok:

Doodlebug
22nd Dec 2011, 21:33
...thought you had your own nice little twin, AdamFrisch??

AdamFrisch
23rd Dec 2011, 05:28
Oh I do, but she's no cross country speed demon, the old girl. And no icing capabilities or pressurisation. If one really want to go places, one kind of needs those things. So I can see myself stepping up to something like an Aerostar or similar at some point. We'll see. But don't think I'll ever get rid of the old 520 - I like her far too much, plus you don't get any money for old twins these days anyway.:sad::)

Doodlebug
23rd Dec 2011, 08:24
''...she's no cross country speed demon, the old girl. And no icing capabilities or pressurisation.''

Sounds like bliss to me!:ok: Enjoy!

(excuse the thread-drift, All)

IFMU
24th Dec 2011, 02:32
Last time we had this thread, I think my goals were the instrument rating and the commercial rating (US). Got the instrument ticket in 2009, got the commercial rating last November. My next goals are:

1) Commercial glider rating
2) Instructor rating - probably initially in power
3) I put my 1-35 away, so I can work on the goal of brainwashing the kids. 3.5 years before the oldest can solo, 5 years for my younger boy.

-- IFMU

KandiFloss
24th Dec 2011, 09:26
AdoniP...

Hmmm ... at least your wife being pregnant doesn't physically stop you from flying. Being a pregnant pilot does! I only have 2 months left before i'm grounded due to having a 'sprog on board'! :{

The500man
25th Dec 2011, 12:44
1. Have fun
2. Night Rating for CPL (would like to get this done now)
3. Finish off ATPL exams (by end of next year)
4. Compete in standard level aerobatics competition (when the new season starts)
5. Floatplane rating
6. Have a go in all of the following:
Tigermoth
Stampe SV4
Sukhoi
Yak 5x
Extra
7. Try rotary-wing
8. Try gliding (been on my list a long time now)
7. CPL (next year or one after)
8. FI
9. ME IR

I'll get through this lot eventually! Would also love to homebuild an S1 or RV but I'm not rich enough to really consider it.

IanPZ
25th Dec 2011, 15:23
For me, I think it has to be going solo (eeek). I started flying nearly a year ago but due to unforseen circumstances, had to stop for 4 months. Just restarted end of nov, and have done an additional few hours in circuit since then. Freely admit the idea of solo freaks me at the same time as being a draw.

Once I've done that, I suppose the next goal would be to get my license, although I did tell my instructor my true aim was to be his longest standing student. He has now renamed me "pension fund"!

Oh yes, and one day to try a gyros

Phororhacos
25th Dec 2011, 15:48
Keeping my medical
Passing 1000 hrs p1
Revalidating my MEP
Doing at least one long foreign trip this year
Getting back into flying R/C models
Going Solo in a Glider

TCU
25th Dec 2011, 15:54
....to enjoy just one of those perfect flying days, from the early morning arrival at the airfield, with the dew still on the grass, right through to the perfect cruise home in the still, clear and warm evening air...oh and a greaser just to round things off nicely

rapidshot
25th Dec 2011, 16:29
Journey around the World in less than 80 days with single engine, 8-10 years to go

stiknruda
25th Dec 2011, 16:48
Well, with bookings in the UK, on the Continent and interest from further afield, I'd like my formation aerobatic team Aerobatic Display Team | Wildcat Aerobatics (http://www.wildcataerobatics.com)

to be named as the best new "act" at the Display Pilots' Symposium at the end of the 2012 season.

We've just started working up in our new livery and sponsorship's decals - see below:

3k3AjDCNA-A

Stik

aka

Wildcat One

peterh337
25th Dec 2011, 16:54
Get the FAA IR to JAA IR conversion finished off, as an insurance policy against EASA's mad political initiatives. This hugely time consuming project has been hovering above me for 9 months now and it would be great to get on with something useful in my life for a change :)

Mariner9
25th Dec 2011, 17:02
1. Get my JAA IR before Peter ;)

2. Hope to act as a mentor on the first post-ppl flight of a good friend who's yet to do her first solo:ok:

Big Pistons Forever
25th Dec 2011, 17:23
Get a Canso type rating and do a glider pilot conversion. The first will hopefully happen in 2012, we will see about the second.

Rod1
25th Dec 2011, 18:18
Have fun (WIP)
Become a competent glider pilot (done)
Get PPL (done)
Get to 1000h without bending anything (done)
Compete in an aerobatic competition (done)
Fly a ws micro (done)
Fly 3 Axis micro (done)
Build own aircraft (done – in composite)
Build own aircraft / referb - wood (not started)
Build own aircraft / referb – Metal (not started)
Get to 2000 hours without bending anything (WIP)
Get to 100 different airfields visited in France (WIP - I am on 98)
Fly a float plane (not started)
Tour remote islands / strips by air (WIP)
Reduce the number of mid-air collisions (WIP)
Help people keep flying (WIP)

Rod1

peterh337
25th Dec 2011, 18:38
Yeah... forgot to say: help as many people as possible to progress beyond their PPL and encourage them to get an IR and see Europe from the air.

AdamFrisch
25th Dec 2011, 19:15
That's a good goal, Peter. I try to do so myself as much as possible and am aiming to join the Young Eagles program in 2012. If we can quietly, or loudly, get more people flying, then we have a fighting chance to preserve this wonderful thing for our future generations. If we continue to decline in numbers like we have, EASA will walk all over us and ultimately, if we get to few, they'll just not let us fly at all. And shut every airport except the ones needed for airline travel.

NorthernChappie
25th Dec 2011, 19:29
Complete my PPL and based on what I know already, finally realise that you girls and guys up front deserve to be there. :ok:

NazgulAir
26th Dec 2011, 00:09
Besides flying safely and having fun, which means visiting interesting places old and new, and passing on the bug to new aviators...

1. IR and FI... been planning this for ages;
2. Fly "Round the Atlantic" via the Azores, Brazil, Caribbean, USA, Canada, Greenland and Iceland;
3. RTW (without having to pay ridiculous unpublished corrupt fees... yeah, one can keep on dreaming)

The recession pushed all these goals to some far future, so in the meantime I'll enjoy myself pottering about the Continental Shelf and giving our plane lots of TLC for all the joy she is giving us, so that she'll truly be a Grand Old Lady when she hits fifty!

Pilot DAR
26th Dec 2011, 01:29
Encouraging enthusiasm in aviation when ever possible, and....

....To make it through to a retirement from flying, at a date of my choosing - without falling victim to the threat of my lurking complacency, or my not noticing someone else's in time.

Everything after that is bonus!

Ultra long hauler
26th Dec 2011, 09:37
Okay, I´ll play:

2012:

#Get my new aircraft in the air, finally.
#Learn to fly "stick".
#Commence longer X-country flights throughout the country.

Long term:

#Fly around South America
#Perhaps start a local "Doctors with wings" for the unfortunate in remote areas.

###Ultra Long Hauler###

maximus610
26th Dec 2011, 09:53
Short-term: to build hours as much as possible (flying over Europe)* and get my IR (FAA);

Long-term: a CPL (eventually an airline proposal).

*get in touch/networking with people involved in European GA

jxc
26th Dec 2011, 10:06
My plans at the moment is to start making some money again as had a bad 2 years need to get in 12 hours before July for the Biannual :{ hopefully cheaply

madlandrover
26th Dec 2011, 12:13
Or just do a LPC ;)

Aware
27th Dec 2011, 04:35
Trying to get all students through IMCR before EASA regulation finishes it.