PDA

View Full Version : Paying National Insurance back in the UK

Sky Roaster
20th Dec 2011, 22:05
Hi there,

Will be heading out to the Middle East soon.

Any advice on continuing to paying NI contributions back home? Is it worth it, do many people bother...

Regards and Happy Christmas

millerscourt
21st Dec 2011, 01:43
Yes it is worth paying Class 3 NI. You will never get such a good pension for the amount you pay elsewhere.

Thridle Op Des
21st Dec 2011, 05:16
Amen to that; you can backdate up to six years at one time. the Newcastle staff are really helpful if you are considering catching up.

145qrh
21st Dec 2011, 05:35
It's worth checking with your tax office.

You can buy back tax years when you return, but it depends on your age and how many years you have already paid. In the last few years they have reduced the number of years you have to pay NI to qualify for full pension rights, IRC down from 38 to 30, but check with your local office they are usually helpful.

parabellum
21st Dec 2011, 06:06
As above, go for it, Class 3 contributions. At one time you had to make a minimum of 44 years contributions to NI for a full pension, but I think it is less years now.

Gordomac
21st Dec 2011, 09:23
Sky, looks like you will get a 100% yes ! Continue ! I stopped after Air Europe went bust but it doesn't matter as the record of contributions was reduced to 30. I managed 27. You can continue at a reduced rate. Do it. For me, 27/30ths is almost a full house & in January I will become a State Penshi. Quite a welcome addition to my cash flow. Good luck.

nitro rig driver
21st Dec 2011, 16:32
And while you are at it make sure your driving licence is the new one and registered at an address thats usefull to you.
If you need to change any info on it later you have to prove/agree you reside in the uk for @ least 185 days a year and/or submit your passport for ID verification,
particully if you have your passport issued overseas,,,big brother is slowly getting its act together and gathering all this info in one agency:{

Sky Roaster
21st Dec 2011, 20:37
Thanks for the advice! :ok:

Any other useful suggestions/tips to get done before heading out to Dubai?

flying lid
21st Dec 2011, 20:41
All info here

State Pension : Directgov - Pensions and retirement planning (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/StatePension/index.htm)

Get a pension forecast from Newcastle to see exactly where you are up to. Dont forget the rules / ages have changed, and will continue to change. As of now it is (for most people) worth keeping up to date. Check & calculate your own personal circumstances via the forecast above.

Lid

parabellum
21st Dec 2011, 22:33
Sky Roaster - I went back to the Gulf in 1989, in June, even though the airline, GF, only had an office in London and employed people at the airport and had NO pilots employed in England, I was forced to pay the full stamp for the remainder of the financial year as they qualified as a UK registered company. Got a bill for GBP1750.00 approx and they refused to act on my Class 3 application until that money was paid, I took it to the top, Geoffrey Howe finally wrote to me and said, "sorry but tough, pay up".

Still worth it when you get to 65!:)

Caged
22nd Dec 2011, 01:29
Another similar question from me if anybody can help? If I'm living and working in the ME and don't spend more than 90 days in the UK per year, but have my wage directed back to a UK bank account, then what becomes of me....the home office site hasn't made it clear whether I'm subject to tax or not...if anybody's been in similar situations, info would be appreciated.

cheers

millerscourt
23rd Dec 2011, 07:18
Change to a Channel Island branch of your UK Bank. It is worth telling HMRC you are now offshore to avoid complications as and when or if you return to UK.

As someone mentioned the rules and age at which you get the State Pension have changed depending on when you were born. Also years of contribution required to get pension in full have also changed but all the infomation is on the website of HMRC.