PDA

View Full Version : Reserve Liability Information please....

sidewayspeak
20th Dec 2011, 13:43
I'll be leaving the RAF after 22 years Service next year having reached the exalted heights of SO2 - time to get a proper job (or watch Cash in the Attic).

Can anyone tell me a little info about the Reserve Liability I will have?
What, if anything, does it entail? Any attendance anywhere? Do I need to keep my pitchfork and gas mask or will that be re-issued if the fuzzywuzzies attack?

Where do I wear my medals on my civvies...?:8:8:8

Courtney Mil
20th Dec 2011, 13:48
I may get shot to bits here, but just ignore the commitment and don't leave a forwarding address. You go onto the reserve list so that if the balloon ever went up they could have a go a calling up ex-servicemen and women. You don't go anywhere, you don't do anything, you don't keep anything. Not sure where you got your pitchfork, but they haven't been authorized issue for years and should have been returned to stores. I wouldn't go around shouting that you've still got yours.

Remember, if they can't find you, they can't recall you!

When they call you up, good luck with the CDT.

Courtney

cazatou
20th Dec 2011, 14:06
If you become Resident Overseas then you are no longer liable for Reserve Service - unless they have changed the Rules recently!!

Mach Two
20th Dec 2011, 14:38
Yes, that is correct Caz.

Pontius Navigator
20th Dec 2011, 14:49
It might seem obvious that they know where you are as they pay your pension. Similarly if you were looking for someone then PMA would forward a letter.

As pointed out however they seem to lose sight of you ~ probably at about the time you disappear on terminal leave.

Where do you wear your medals?

Get a set of minatures. Keep them in their red velvet purse in the pocket of your DJ. If your MD is wearing his then make your excuses and get properly dressed. If others are wearing medals and your MD is not then discretely leave them in your pocket so as not to embarass him.

On holiday, on some cruise ships, if there is a formal evening and the ships officers etc are wearing theirs them consider wearing your minatures with your DJ.

Full size medals? Remembrance Sunday at church and parade but remove before the pub lunch for possibly obvious reasons.

Courtney Mil
20th Dec 2011, 15:06
Further to my and PN's point, they will remember where you live right up until you sign and return the Official Secrets Act. Then your file is closed (presumably in the round filing cabinet) and you cease to exist. You will probably never hear from them again, even if you want to.

Wise words about the medals, PN.

It's a really good idea to get uniform/medal/RAF stuff sorted now as it's much easier than once you're out.

Courtney

ShyTorque
20th Dec 2011, 17:28
My understanding is that the possibilty of reserve service remains until reaching the age of 55 years (I'm free, yippee!).

Military pensions are paid into the pensioners' bank accounts, not sent to the pensioner's home address!

Having taken my option to leave, the only time I've heard from the RAF was when they wanted me as a High Readiness Reserve pilot. Their letter was forwarded to me via the bank. I declined the offer because I was expected to report for training once a month and the RAF would only cough up duty travel from the nearest airport to Odiham (about £40 back then, if I recall correctly). Unfortunately an economy return flight from where I lived was over £1200.

LFFC
20th Dec 2011, 17:50
On leaving fairly recently, a friend of mine received a Certificate of Service that told him he had a Reserve Liability until his 6oth birthday!

jamesdevice
20th Dec 2011, 18:01
In olden days it depended on what unit you were in
I knew a chap who'd been in the WWII Long Range Desert Group and he was kept on the reserve list until 60 because of his "unique skills". Basically his familiarity with the terrain and conditions. He was earmarked as an advisor in the event of desert warfare

Geehovah
20th Dec 2011, 19:24
When I retired, the covering letter with my Record of Service did indeed say that the record contained details of my reserve commitment. As there was no further mention in the document I assume I'm off the hook!

I seem to recall that when I signed the attestation (many, many moons ago), 5 years on the Reserve List was mentioned. That said, I also seem to remember that the attestation was effectively rescinded on commisioning.

TEEEJ
20th Dec 2011, 19:32
SWS,

See following.

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/68DEEA3D-B384-419E-8FF9-F599F3EAAC19/0/424330_SPVA_Guide_p4562.pdf

Megaton
20th Dec 2011, 19:40
Unless they have an urgent requirement for Jag JEngOs I think I'm safe :-)

BEagle
20th Dec 2011, 20:39
What a stupid document that is, TEEEJ. It doesn't even explain the difference between 'recall' and 'call-out' - which is very significant indeed.

When I was doing PVR-porridge at Binnsworth, I looked into the whole thing because I was tasked to investigate why reservists weren't responding to their invitations to join Bliar's illegal Iraqi adventure. The reason was blindingly obvious - utter institutional incompetence. PMC had failed to establish a robust system for tracking non-pensionable peoples' changes of address after leaving the mob and had seemingly forgotten that some of the single females might well have changed their names in the years after leaving.

I told the people at Binnsworth that they would have to prove deliberate evasion if they wished to attempt prosecution and would be dragged through the courts by any half-competent brief unless their evidence was cast-iron. The best day was when they'd collected up their 'evidence' - but then I noticed that they hadn't actually copied the notices they'd signed and stamped, just the drafts which anyone could have typed at any time. Neither had they any proof of delivery or even proof of postage - so the evidence was quite useless. Their definition of a Notice having been deemed to be Served was laughable. What utter incompetent idiots - the whole reservist section was looked after by dear old ladies who really weren't up to it.

Anyway, if you want to avoid being dragged back to play in the sandpit, just do some Googling and you'll easily find the relevant legislation governing exemptions.

Or just fail the medical.....

Courtney Mil
20th Dec 2011, 20:45
Beags, never realised you're such a rebel.

Anyway, to continue answering the question, it's virtually an irrelevant status and need not concern your future plans. end of

sidewayspeak
21st Dec 2011, 06:25
Thanks for all the info chaps. I have no intention of coming back to play in the sandpit or any other pit. Looking forward to clearing the loft of heaps of uniforms and guff that I no longer want/need, collecting my pension, clearing the mortgage and living where I want for as long as I want. :ok:

Pontius Navigator
21st Dec 2011, 07:59
SWS, you can use eBay. It was absolutely amazing how much people are prepared to pay for the kit.

1961 mess kit went to a chap in Kent. Old pattern DPM 95 shirt to Venezuela along with black leather gloves. 1981 DPM jacket to Italy. Even 1966 set of acryllan pile underwear.

BEagle
21st Dec 2011, 08:28
sidewayspeak, if you are going to qualify for an immediate pension, you will only be liable for recall, not call-out. Probably under the Reserve Forces Act 1980, unless you were commissioned, enlisted, re-enlisted or extended your service in the RAF on or after 1 Apr 97 - in which case RFA 96 applies.

'Recall' is real 'jackboots coming across the Channel' stuff and is pretty unlikely.

'Call-out' is the bankrupt MoD's way of pulling ex-servicemen back into limited periods of service in support of the nasty little wars which Bliar was so keen on. It hadn't been needed since Suez, because the Armed Forces were of sufficient size until the late 90s - or there were sufficient reservist volunteers. But for Bliar's illegal war in Iraq, compulsory call-out was used again for the first time in about 45 years. Many folk who PVR'd had no idea they were vulnerable although all bar a handful actually did respond. Incidentally, a new Call-Out Order was made recently (it didn't make the headlines though...) and is explained by the Minister of State (Armed Forces), Defence as follows:

With the expiry of the call-out order made on 24 October 2010, a new call-out order has been made under section 56 of the Reserve Forces Act 1996 to enable reservists to continue to be called out into permanent service to support our wider efforts to counter the threat from international terrorism and piracy, and to assist our maritime security objectives. The order takes effect from 8 November 2011 and ceases to have effect on 7 November 2012. Some 98 members of the reserve forces were called out under this order last year and their continued support is greatly appreciated and valued.

Quite how those who took voluntary redundancy are affected, I have no idea.

Incidentally, you are required to notify the 'RAF PMA' of any change of permanent address - but if they don't tell you when they change title or location, how can you do that? You don't have to notify them in writing though........

Courtney Mil
21st Dec 2011, 08:49
Beags,

Re "voluntary redundacy". In the tranches a few years ago, those that volunteered were actually made redundant compulsoraly (and if that's not a word, it should be!) once they were accepted/selected.

When they talk about reserve forces, is there any distinction between those of us that have left the armed forces and those that joined as prt-time reservists?

Courtney

BEagle
21st Dec 2011, 08:58
Courtney Mil, yes, they are various different categories of reservists. Those who PVR'd or simply left for second careers elsewhere will, whether or not they knew it, have been placed on the RAFResO (Officers) or RAFResA (other ranks).

However, compulsory call-out may be required to supplement trades which aren't covered by RAFVR or RAuxAF squadrons.

APG63
21st Dec 2011, 09:16
I for one would not be a happy bunny to lose my job, hopefully start a second career only to find myself recalled because the Government had misjudged the required size of the armed forces or weren't willing to pay for the forces needed to support their global aspirations. My new employer would love that!

I'm happy to be messed about all they like while I'm serving, but if they pull the rug on me, I'll have my own life to look after.

Yours,

Disgruntled of England

rej
21st Dec 2011, 09:54
When I PVR'd in Oct 10 I was told that I had no reserve commitment. I too left as an SO2 with 24 years service. All I got in the post was a print out from JPA, a certificate saying I had done 24 years service, and a veterans pin that was apparently "presented to me" (a bit like my 2 medals........oh no, sorry, they were dropped on the desk in front of me with a "this is yours i believe".)

sidewayspeak, good luck on the outside, the real-world. It is great. Yes there are aspects I miss, like some of the people and the comradeship. But the benefits are enourmous and once the rose-tinted specs have been handed back to stores you may start to see that we weren't thought much of by those who were, apparently, leading us.

Courtney Mil
21st Dec 2011, 10:14
I don't remember getting any of those things when I left on redundancy. In fact I couldn't even get a P45. JPAC and my former parent unit were utterly hopeless once I'd handed back my 1250, unless it was something they wanted, of course!

Anyway, I echo that, very good luck on the outside, when you're released!