PDA

View Full Version : The EU. A force for good?

Widger
19th Dec 2011, 08:53
On the face of it, the title of this thread does not appear to have must to do with Military Aviation but, bear with me.

I read something quite incredible this morning. An event that will probably go un-noticed by the UK press but, one that I think is significant.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:335:0079:0080:EN:PDF

The link above takes you to the website of the EU and a Political and security decision. In summary, Serbia is to be part of an EU force, including Croatia and Montenegro, contributing to the EU effort against piracy off Somalia.

It was only about 13 years ago that the RAF and RN were flying over the skies of Serbia conducting a bombing campaign and Op Deny Flight. How far we have come in such a short time. It shows that despite all the negative publicity the European Union has received over the last few weeks, the subtle influence of 'being part of the club' can force change in nations. Croatia will soon be part of the group and Serbia want to follow as soon as possible.

Courtney Mil
19th Dec 2011, 09:06
A good spot, Widger. I can see arguments on both sides so look forward to seeing the arguments unfurl here.

SAMXXV
19th Dec 2011, 09:58
Well Widger, I was employed by F&CO 97/98 as the Head of IT for ECMM (European Community Monitor Mission). I lived in Sarajevo for 6 months during the UK Presidency of the EU. I saw at first hand (I was required to travel almost daily out of Sarajevo into the Republic Spbrbska, Serbia & Croatia to fix IT/Satellite comms).

My personal comment is that it will take at least 3 generations for these people to live in the same communities ever again.

Whilst I was there, the Serbs were still planting land mines in the cemeteries in central Sarajevo. On one occasion in 1998 I was in a cafe in Mostar when a grenade was thrown in. I lived. I used to take a mission car to drive to Vukovar etc. On the way out of Sarejevo (If the traffic lights were working) I would have several 3-5 year old Romanian gypsy children knocking on my car window with their hands outstreched - begging. If you looked further you would see ma & pa hiding & watching. They were all "orange coloured skinned". You will see these criminal gangs every day in every town & city in the UK - because they are able to come here legally as EU citizens.

It will get worse. They have access to fully automatic weapons smuggled into the UK.:ugh:

jamesdevice
19th Dec 2011, 10:23
SAM
are you suggesting that criminals can be recognised because they eat lots of carrots?
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carotenosis

rmac
19th Dec 2011, 10:25
Sam's off again :eek: