PDA

View Full Version : South african legion of military veterans

Capetonian
19th Dec 2011, 00:11
I received this today from a friend in South Africa. It may be of interest, and I hpe it is acceptable here as it is a non-profit organisation (just like most airlines!) and that this is not considered as advertising.

SOUTH AFRICAN LEGION OF MILITARY VETERANS
Registered Non Profit Organisation No 000 623 NPO
Registered Public Benefit Organisation PBO 930007996
A constituent Member of the Royal Commonwealth Ex-Service League
A Member of the Council of Military Veterans’ Organisations of the RSA
Founded in 1921, Cape Town, South Africa
PATRON IN CHIEF – THE PRESIDENT

Hi,

As a military veteran, has anyone ever asked you if you want to join a military veteran organisation? If not, I would like to introduce you to the Legion. If you are not interested, at least we asked and we hope there are no hard feelings.

What is the Legion? Our manifesto says it all: ”We recognise military veterans that served South Africa honourably. We remember and salute the fallen. We advocate peace and promote unity and nation building. We do not discriminate. We strive to uphold the wellbeing benefits of military veterans and their dependants. We defend the interests of military veterans. We will collaborate with any like minded body.”

The Legion is the oldest military veteran organisation, founded in 1921, in Cape Town and is a founder member of the Royal Commonwealth Ex-Service League, (RCEL), with Prince Phillip as the Grand President. The Legion is a founder member of the Council of Military Veterans’ Organisations of RSA, CMVO, who in turn is a member of the South African National Military Veterans Association, SANMVA. This is the umbrella body that should be recognised shortly by the Military Veterans Act, 18 of 2011 (yes the Bill has been approved without any changes). The Legion has been recognised by the Minister of Defence and Military Veterans as a Military Veteran Organisation.

Being the oldest really does not mean anything unless you are relevant now – that is what the Legion is busy doing. The Legion is creating benefits and services for military veterans and their dependants. Soon these will be announced and then the Legion will need the capacity to roll these out. Maybe you would be interested in assisting the Legion.

The Legion is a service organisation so membership numbers do not matter, what we do for others does. So we are looking for like minded military veterans, or those interested in assisting others. You can join our virtual branch where we keep in touch with you, so that you are up to date with what is happening and maybe something will catch your attention so that you get involved in a project. We will also inform you of a branch close to you that you could visit and join.

If you have a group of like minded guys, golf, darts, motor bikes, karting, running club, fishing, etc you can form your own Legion branch. Why should you do this? Well all the Legion requires is that you as a group do some event, service, function etc to assist military veterans and arrange or attend remembrance services during the year. We will not forget those that have served! The Legion arranges POPPY DAY each year which is a way of fund raising, all the monies are used locally to assist others in need. Could you assist us to collect on Poppy Day.

You can join the Legion even if you are already a member of another military veteran organisation – I am a member of five just so that I keep in touch with my old buddies. The Legion is a SERVICE ORGANISATION, so we are interested in doing things for others.

Attached is the membership form – if interested please fill it in and the National Secretary will be in touch with you shortly. Currently the cost is R80 per year which includes R20 for two Springbok Magazines a year.

Looking forward to hearing from you and to welcome you on board so that we can help even more military veterans who are in need.

Legion Greetings

Not for Ourselves but for Others

Lgr Godfrey Giles
National President
The SA LEGION of Military Veterans

Mobile: 083 600 0062
E mail: nationalpresident (at) salegion.org
website: SA Legion - Home of the South African Legion (http://www.salegion.org)

Solid Rust Twotter
20th Dec 2011, 08:14
I see there's a form attached for govt registration too. Good luck getting anything out of them if you're not one of their pet thugs.