PDA

View Full Version : FTO near London

18th Dec 2011, 21:48
I've been using the search engine without success.
I'm a private pilot, I've already passed the written test, and I'm looking for a FTO to take a modular IR(A) course. I'll move to London in February. I would commute daily *from Vauxhall bridge, preferably using public transportation.
Stapleford seems to be a good FTO, but it's a bit too far away. Are there any good school on the south side?

porridge
20th Dec 2011, 07:03
Think your best bet is Wycombe Air Centre, you can take the Chiltern line from London Marylebone (first via tube on the Bakerloo line) and then it is a short bus journey or taxi from High Wycombe station to Wycombe Air Park.
I don't know about the "South" side as as far as I know the only only possibility is Biggin Hill, but I don't think there is an FTO there. Next closest is Shoreham and then Bournemouth on the southern side.
Hope this helps. P

VJW
20th Dec 2011, 10:29
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_lts%20ApprovedSchoolsList_Doc31v105.pdf

Take your pick!

4th Feb 2012, 08:10
Thank you for your answers.
I think I'll start with a CPL(A) with The Pilot Centre in Denham, which is the closest aerodrome from my new place.
For the IR, I'll have to choose between Wycombe and Stapleford.

Genghis the Engineer
4th Feb 2012, 08:57
Thank you for your answers.
I think I'll start with a CPL(A) with The Pilot Centre in Denham, which is the closest aerodrome from my new place.
For the IR, I'll have to choose between Wycombe and Stapleford.

Presumably you have already passed the CPL or ATPL writtens in the UK? If not, that's the equivalent of 4-6 months work before you start flying for the CPL.

That said, I'd have no hesitation in recommending PTC at Denham. I did my instructors course there and was extremely impressed with them.

I've also done a few bits at Wycombe Air Centre incidentally, and was similarly very impressed.

G

24th Feb 2012, 20:18
I visited Wycombe, very good school apparently, I could enjoy a back seat. The instructor was very professional. I certainly would have enjoyed doing my CPL there.

I've passed the ATPL written test in a French FTO. I had the Bristol distance learning course. I just have to have it JAR certified by the French Authority.

I chose The Pilot Centre in Denham because it's easier for me to commute there.
Up to now they are very professional, in a very friendly environment.

Flaymy
26th Feb 2012, 12:30
Stapleford.

AucT
27th Feb 2012, 14:23
The Pilot Centre Denham!

truckflyer
27th Feb 2012, 19:30
It is recommended that you do CPL and IR at the same school. Some airlines have that as an requirement, just for your information.

I would recommend Stapleford myself, but regardless, you might not be best served by doing them at different schools.