PDA

View Full Version : Renting an aircraft for 12 hrs - the right price?

rantax82
15th Dec 2011, 13:51
Last weekend a couple of friends invited me on their marriage.
That would be quite normal, except for the location. Trencin. Slovakia. LZTN.

Now, I didn’t even check what are the entry requirements, if the airport is open or not, if they have Avgas, if…,if…

The first “problem” is to understand which would be a “good”, “right” and “reasonable” price to take an aircraft and fly there.
I did a small (and not precise) calculation and depending from where I will depart (can be LSGG,LFLB,LIPN,LIML,etc) it will be around 5 hrs and something flight time.

I took 12hrs to stay a bit conservative.

Looking at the current status of the economy, fuel price and market what you suggest? Try to find a private guy/structure and deal with a package price would be my idea…. And searching a C172 where I’m more experienced… but which is the right price for that “package”??

Thanks for all the one will give me his point of view

Zulu Alpha
15th Dec 2011, 16:26
I flew from the UK to Dubnica ( 5 miles from Trencin) in August this year. They had Avgas at both airfields.

We stopped at Lydd for duty free fuel then Koblenz, Karlovy Vary and Dubnica.

Took about 5hrs in a 130kt machine. All very easy. We had to drop down to 800ft in a couple of places to go under controlled airspace as we couldn't get clearances.

Koblenz has a nice Greek restaurant on the airfield.

Stopped overnight at Karlovy Vary. there is a nice hotel near the airport with a shuttle.

On the other hand it is only 50 miles from Brno and Wizzair fly there from Luton very cheaply.

Dan the weegie
15th Dec 2011, 17:02
Remember you pay no fuel duty when crossing borders, so it may be more cost effective to lease at a dry rate.

dublinpilot
15th Dec 2011, 19:08
Remember you pay no fuel duty when crossing borders, so it may be more cost effective to lease at a dry rate.

You sure about that? I think it very much depends on the borders that are being crossed ;)

I'm not sure that you are going to get a rate that is particularly special for 12 hours hire. You'll probably want the aircraft for 3 days at least, so that's only 4 hours per day...less than a typical club useage. So no great reason to give you a special rate.

If you hire from someone other than your normal school/club, then you'll also have to do a checkout...perhaps an hour or so, which is likely to cost more than any discount you can agree (if any) for 12 hours.

The person hiring it to you for 2 or 3 days also knows that if the weather isn't good enough for VFR on day 1, then their aircraft may not fly at all for the 2 or 3 days, which also makes them less likely to give you a discount.

I suppose weather in Italy/Slovakia is more likely to be good VFR than where I'm from, on any given weekend, but when you need to be there for a particular occasion, you need to also build contengiency plans if the weather isn't suitable for VFR.

Probably not what you want to hear, but I think that you'll probably do no better than the rate that you normally hire for. No harm in trying though ;)

dp

ps. Visit the Castle in Trencin for their evening tour if you are free one of the days. It's quite enjoyable.

rantax82
15th Dec 2011, 20:26
Dublin, actually the marriage will be in the Chapel of the Castle!

I might have a 172M for 1700euro for 10 hrs... all included (fuel as well) and cash back for the fuel I will pay (if less or equal then the price of the base airport)... not bad.. but still :ouch:

Genghis the Engineer
16th Dec 2011, 07:08
I don't know what things are like down your way regarding aircraft ownership - but is it worth asking around to see if there are any local owners of suitable aeroplanes who'd be interested in splitting the flying and the costs? They might enjoy an excuse for a long trip they wouldn't do otherwise, and all of you get some cheaper flying that normal: plus much more flexibility than renting a club trainer.

If you lived near me (which you don't I'm afraid) I'd certainly be glad to talk about something like that.

G

rantax82
16th Dec 2011, 09:39
If you lived near me (which you don't I'm afraid) I'd certainly be glad to talk about something like that.

Well, i didn't mention it, but I'm willing to depart from UK ;)

Genghis the Engineer
16th Dec 2011, 09:48
Well, i didn't mention it, but I'm willing to depart from UK

LIPZ - LZTN: 358nm

LIPZ - EGTB 596nm

EGTB - LZTN: 741nm

By any standard, that would be a fantastically indirect route!

G

BackPacker
16th Dec 2011, 10:15
(if less or equal then the price of the base airport)

That's unfair. If fuel is cheaper elsewhere, then the owner makes a profit. If the fuel is more expensive elsewhere, then you pay the loss.

Either the owner pays for the fuel outright, no matter the cost, or you pay for the fuel, no matter the cost, and you get reimbursed according to the rate at the aircrafts home base. The latter solution is the most common, and most fair.

It's good for the owner because they know exactly what their fuel is going to cost, and can base the "wet" rate on that. And it's good for you since it motivates you to find the bargains. Or, at the very least, avoid the really expensive places.

BTW 170 euro per hour wet doesn't sound too bad. At my club we pay significantly more. But as others have said, you've got an appointment to keep. Being *on time* for that appointment is far more important than getting there under your own steam. Money aside, cases like this I simply fly commercially, and save the money for flying somewhere myself when I'm not under any time pressure.

RTN11
16th Dec 2011, 10:20
A lot of clubs have an aircraft available specifically for long trips away, which isn't used for the day to day training. I know two schools who have a TB10, and one with an AA-5 just for this reason.

That way, they don't see 4 hours a day as their average, and are happy for the aircraft being taken away for even a week at a time without over charging.

Wet or dry rate could probably be negotiated with any club too. Ring around and see what you can find.

rantax82
16th Dec 2011, 12:35
I just had an offer that sounds (only sounds maybe??)

Cessna 172SP Millenium edition year 2001 for 130€/Hrs dry... so I will have to do the fuel. Accordling the guy is consuming 9gal/hr average...

Mmmmmhhh... i will have to do some homework this weekend :ok:

RTN11
16th Dec 2011, 16:34
9Gal/Hr sounds about right, possibly even a little conservative. What cruise speed is that based on?

Certainly sounds like a good deal if you can find fuel at a good price.

rantax82
17th Dec 2011, 07:51
the guy said that in cruise (normal so i guess the "usual" 2350rpm - 100kts) and with right set of mixture in flight it can go down to 6-7 gph