PDA

View Full Version : Russian task group

air pig
13th Dec 2011, 16:46
Sky reports with footage of a Russian task group led by the Admiral Kuznetsov off the east coast of Scotland, navy scrambles a warship to have a look, now where did we put those MPAs?

jamesdevice
13th Dec 2011, 16:54
See this Russian release of yesterday

Russia (http://english.ruvr.ru/2011/12/12/62101341.html)

"Two ships of Russia’s Northern navy – the aircraft carrier “Admiral Kuznetsov” and the submarine chaser “Admiral Chabanenko” are making a hard but successful journey in the northeast of the Atlantic Ocean. At present, the crews are getting ready for practicing launches from the carrier’s flight deck."

Now wheres those Sea Harriers...

glad rag
13th Dec 2011, 16:58
MUHAHAHA......:(

jamesdevice
13th Dec 2011, 17:05
or even a Sea Eagle fitted Tornado would do
Oh Shucks we scrapped them as well...

PS apparently the two are headed for the Eastern Mediterranean
Any guns left at Gib?

Geehovah
13th Dec 2011, 17:44
We'll pick them up with the Nimrods in Malta and then track them with our Cyprus based assets.

cokecan
13th Dec 2011, 17:51
slightly serious question: how difficult would it be to plumb/integrate Harpoon (i know we used to have some for the SSN's...) into Tornado GR4?

failing that, what kind of range would an off the shelf AGM-65 Maverick have if popped at 40,000ft?

Jimlad1
13th Dec 2011, 17:52
Alternatively, it could read 'Russia deploys barely functional decades old aircraft carrier for first time in many years, making the 2nd or 3rd out of area deployment in her history since being laid down in the early 1980s'.

Struggling to see why some people are getting so excited - Russia is not an enemy and freedom of navigation is something we're rather keen on. Add to that the fact that we're keeping a polite eye on her, and I struggle to see the issue here?

Thud_and_Blunder
13th Dec 2011, 18:02
Maybe, like HMS Ocean, instead of 7 weeks hanging around Med holiday spots they're off for 7 months down to somewhere much hotter. Fancy a trip to the Straits of Hormuz, Ivan Ivanovitch? Little Quoin Island used to be lovely this time of year, and I"m sure the curry on the appositely-named Goat Island is as good as it ever was.

Anyway, best of luck to anyone who's planning to hold on to their lunch off the east coast of Scotland over the next couple of days.

Biggus
13th Dec 2011, 18:07
Current conditions should certainly test the seaworthiness of the ships in question.....

Gemini Twin
13th Dec 2011, 18:09
Might be hard work in the Russian navy but they sure eat well.

"The cooks on “Admiral Kuznetsov” have to work day and night, for the sailors have nighttime watches as well as daytime ones. In total, the whole crew eats about 10,000 tons of food a day, which can be compared with the daily ration of the population of a medium-sized village".

jamesdevice
13th Dec 2011, 18:20
"Russia is not an enemy"
No, of course not.
They're certainly not friends....

TurbineTooHot
13th Dec 2011, 18:37
Haven't they booked Stornaway as a div...?

Tourist
13th Dec 2011, 19:01
" In total, the whole crew eats about 10,000 tons of food a day, which can be compared with the daily ration of the population of a medium-sized village". "

That would be a few tons each per day, which seems unlikely, even if you double duff!

Whoops!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg_SJhG1Qo0

cazatou
13th Dec 2011, 19:03
jamesdevice

I, and my Crew and Passengers, certainly found the Russians extremely hospitable and forthcoming when we visited Moscow in 1989.

Have you been there yourself?

PS My Passengers were the RAF Staff College Course!!!

jamesdevice
13th Dec 2011, 19:14
"Have you been there yourself?"
Actually yes. And a few places further east.

But thats irrelevant and so is your hospitality statement.
All the Iraqis I met in "business" were all incredibly charming and hospitable. Didn't stop them from being Ba'athists.

PS - 1989 was a long time ago. Things change

cazatou
13th Dec 2011, 19:30
jamesdevice

I see where you are trying to come from.

It is not what they believe - nor what we believe. It is purely what you believe we should believe.

serge-frog
13th Dec 2011, 19:35
Mates, normally we have enough hospitality.
Normally...

OafOrfUxAche
13th Dec 2011, 19:40
now where did we put those MPAs?

Who needs MPA when you've got Sky?

jamesdevice
13th Dec 2011, 19:46
Cazatou

I don't think you do understand me
Under Putin, Russia is re-inventing /revisiting both its imperial and communist pasts, and is rewriting history to celebrate those periods as "heroic" eras.
We had a few years after the fall of the Soviet Union where the military was stood down through lack of cash, while all the money they had was needed for economic survival. Now under Putin you have the beginnings of a military resurgence while we in the west progressively disarm through cost saving measures. The west is having to make the kind of cuts that Russia did 20 years ago.
They are now emerging from that military hiatus. More intrusive flights, more naval expeditions. They have global territorial objectives again, and these excursions are part of their rebuilding their skill set
We should be treating them as latent enemies and giving them every much a rough time as we would have done thirty years ago.

TEEEJ
13th Dec 2011, 20:30
Scheduled for port visits in Spain, France, Malta and Cyprus.

Warship & Navy Port Visits | SeaWaves Books (http://www.seawaves.com/portvisits.asp)

HMS York with the RFS Kuznetsov

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2011/Dec/Week2/16129697.jpg

Russia Sends Ship To Syria As Show Of Support For Assad Regime As It Faces UN Pressure | World News | Sky News (http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16129689)

The Baltic Fleet Frigate Yaroslav Mudry is scheduled to join up with the Kuznetsov group.

Russian task force goes on mission in Atlantic, Mediterranean | World | RIA Novosti (http://en.ria.ru/world/20111207/169436072.html)

The Black Sea Fleet Frigate Ladny entered the Mediterranean last week.

Russia Dispatches BSF Frigate Ladny to Mediterranean Sea >> Naval Today (http://navaltoday.com/2011/12/06/russia-dispatches-bsf-frigate-ladny-to-mediterranean-sea/)

serge-frog
13th Dec 2011, 22:00
jamesdevice (http://www.pprune.org/members/357253-jamesdevice)
Russia is re-inventing /revisiting both its imperial and communist pasts, and
is rewriting history to celebrate those periods as "heroic" eras.

No, it is not true. We can't start to do something that we didn't stop =)

And another one thing. All that you had write down here about the Russian Military is a bit far away from the truth =)

rjtjrt
13th Dec 2011, 22:47
Rather poetic really (not that it matters in practice) - the ship sent to observe by RN cf the RFS Kuznetsov

RFS Kuznetsov
Laid down: 22 February 1983
Launched: 5 December 1985

HMS York
Laid down: 18 January 1980
Launched: 20 June 1982

serge-frog
13th Dec 2011, 23:10
Since 1:40

3LCbHF8z-EQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=170s

sitigeltfel
14th Dec 2011, 08:43
Was the crew room waitress a plant to make Western aircrew jealous? :ok:

Whenurhappy
14th Dec 2011, 09:11
I was in Moscow in the last year or two on a foreign Staff College visit. We were met with hostility by a 4* General of the Interior Ministry at the (former) Soviet Institute of Peace and Reconcilliation. I spent a Sunday morning in the Kremlin with my artists's sketch pad and was constantly questioned by all manner of police, officials and general busy-bodies. Colleagues were similarly hassled, hussled and generally pleased to see the last of Moscow. On my evening off I met with several expats for a drink in the old Arbat - we were followed and made to feel uncomfortable. My friends were full of some pretty lurid stories of life in err, free market Moscow. All reported on my return, of course.

Plus I couldn't read the menus...

BEagle
14th Dec 2011, 09:16
I don't think so, sitigeltfel.....

Back when Gorbachev met Maggie at Brize, some of us were tasked to assist the crews of the 4 Il-62s involved. Mine was the one with the KGB security folk on board, who were whisked off to the Gateway for lunch whilst we sorted out the aircrews' requirements.

On board the jet (with excellent cabin heating, unlike the FunBus), the chief flight attendant asked whether we'd like coffee. We accepted with grateful thanks, whereupon her Rosa Klebb countenance morphed into a friendly prep school matron's smile. From the galley appeared 3 gorgeous little Russian hosties with excellent coffee and some very tasty Russian chocolates. We went out of our way to say how good they were and thanked them - they turned pink and scuttled back to the galley like naughty little schoolgirls.

There was only one rather dubious looking chap on the jet - obviously the KGB aircraft security bloke who sat brooding in the corner in his track suit. But we even got him to smile when I saw the nest of chapka hats in the overhead rack and began stroking and miaowing at them - by then the Russians thought we were completely bonkers.

Eventually the American navigator came on board (the jet was due to land in the US) - rather a petite blonde captain. When we heard excited voices from the rather ursine flight deck crew, I asked our host why the female navigator was such a surprise - "Surely you have female aircrew in your air force?"

"Da, we do - but none like her!"

It was quite a fun day - the spooks went into a fluster when 39 out of 40 KGB in matching raincoats returned from the Gateway. They obviously concluded that the missing man was either defecting or taking photos of the decadent capitalist hotel. But then he appeared all hot and flustered and out of breath. Much barracking from his colleagues, so I queried our host.

"He in lavatory - miss bus. Had to walk!"

Sometimes the obvious reasons are overlooked!

The Helpful Stacker
14th Dec 2011, 09:29
What were those visits that our lovely Russian friends used to make to our shores called? The ones that seem to require any door over a certain size to have a little yellow sticker on it which denoted the doors they were allowed to have a look inside?

I remember them visiting RAF Locking many years ago when I was fresh from the stacker farm. They must have been in awe at the knackered old radars they used for training and the every-so-impressive Gnat on a stick by the front gate.

serge-frog
14th Dec 2011, 10:12
Kuznetsov's aviation and deferce guns and rocket systems
2hRstJJFBuI

serge-frog
14th Dec 2011, 10:26
Some accidents
esDnAmmeZF4
0:29 Sukhoi Su-33 - taking off while brake is on
qFavtMOXrOE
well-known video when the cable system if fail during the landing
wiZDQCrJOEI

AQAfive
14th Dec 2011, 11:01
Some cracking videos.
For those that think all is a bed of roses now and every one is/are friends now, it is worth reminding ourselves that only when we know what is normal in peacetime, do we realise when things might warming up for a conflict. First you need the capability though. Ah, I see a flaw in my plan. No matter the French will help us, perhaps, if we sign up to the Euro.:}

In my experience visiting people in a country is often met with a welcoming smile and hospitality, alas it is not they who run the country but the aspiring power brokers. That is why I think the WWW will be the best hope for the future, ordinary people can communicate and realise we all have the same goals and aspirations and its the politicians that cause us grief.

Naive, perhaps, but I'll stick with that.

serge-frog
14th Dec 2011, 11:26
Not so naive

But everybody should understand that there are a lot of people who listen not their virtual friends (these friends are normal, ordinary people from overseas), but their butt-headed governors like Putin or Bush.

I don't say for the US (or UK) but for Russia percentage of those "extra attentive-to-government" persons is not so low. Recently one russian guy published his experience in US Mariners Reserve. One third of comments were like "Hmm, interesting, but this way is not for me. Nevertheless, you did well". One sixth of the comments were "Well done, envy you".
But the rest (about half of comments) were "Fckng bastard, you are betreytor!" and "What you are going to do when Americans come to Russia with invasion? Will you shut me, my mom and my grandfa?". So, they do not understand that governments only are guilty in wars and to some extent they believe that you are some sort of traitor if you live, work, or are on the Army Duty overseas.

Whenurhappy
14th Dec 2011, 11:28
THS

OP REBECCA/EX HENLEY is what you were thinking of - CFE inspections.

jamesdevice
14th Dec 2011, 12:48
just for completeness, this marketing video of the Su-33 seems pretty impressive
What gets me though, is how the Russians manage to launch these off a ski-jump with no catapults.. Why can't we do the same with a Typhoon? Or rather, why wasn't it designed into the Typhoon? No need for catapults, no need for expensive EMALS.
Think how much easier all the recent arguments over the recent carrier design would have been

http://youtu.be/203xKIYfsnk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=203xKIYfsnk)

Not_a_boffin
14th Dec 2011, 13:24
1. Because its the recovery bit that Typhoon finds difficult.
2. Because it's a very space-inefficient way of operating a deck. Both launch and recovery modes require most of the deck to be clear, hence very little room for spotting a/c. Kuznetsov is bigger than QEC, yet has less sortie generation potential.

Archimedes
14th Dec 2011, 13:28
Why wasn't it designed into Typhoon? Because no-one thought that there'd be any prospect of the RN operating CTOL carriers again, the Germans, Italians and Spanish had never operated CTOL carriers and weren't planning to do so, and the only likely candidates for a future CTOL carrier aircraft were:

1. The French - who would build their own
2. The Soviets - ditto above
3. The US - ditto above.
4. The Indians - who, it was assumed, would either go down the STOVL route in future (because of their SHARs), or if they did decide upon a CTOL carrier in the future, they'd buy from the USSR or the French (or, at a considerable push, the US).

With hindsight, we (the UK) ought to have invited the Germans, Italians and Spanish to shove off/consider buying the F-16 or F/A-18, and accepted that by teaming up with the French (after explaining in words of one syllable to Marcel Dassault that 'bi-lateral collaboration' didn't mean Dassault having about 90% of the workshare and profits) and accepting a latent CTOL carrier capability we'd be keeping our options wide open, even if it seemed improbable that we'd ever go back to that sort of carrier operation.

The problem was that we didn't trust Dassault an inch after the various shenanigans with Jaguar exports; we didn't entirely trust the French (years of history and the AFVG experience) and we were used to working with the (West) Germans and Italians via Panavia. On top of that, a bi-lateral with France wasn't going to help the then-Sec of State for Defence's ambitions to become PM as well as a quadrilateral arrangement (how did that plan work out for you, Lord Hestletine?) and we weren't going to return to the days of having a CTOL carrier - and STOBAR was (at the time) the concept of a few dangerous loons who didn't understand the nuances of carrier operations.

serge-frog
14th Dec 2011, 13:54
With limited systems they are much lighter than eqivalent Western advanced A/C
Really?
F/A-18
Loaded weight: 36,970 lb (16,770 kg)
Max takeoff weight: 51,900 lb (23,500 kg)

F/A-18E/F Super Hornet
Loaded weight: 47,000 lb (21,320 kg)
Max takeoff weight: 66,000 lb (29,937 kg)

Typhoon
Loaded weight: 16,000 kg (35,000 lb)
Max takeoff weight: 23,500 kg (52,000 lb)

Su-33
Loaded weight: 29,940 kg (66,010 lb)
Max takeoff weight: 33,000 kg (72,752 lb)

So, Russians do not look "much lighter"

enormous fuel burning jets with extremely limited range,
Really?
F/A-18 Range: 1,089 nmi (1,250 miles, 2,000 km) with only two AIM-9s
F/A-18E/F Super Hornet Range: 1,275 nmi (2,346 km) with only two AIM-9s
Typhoon Range: 2,900 km (1,800 mi)
Su-33 Range: 3,000 km (1,864 mi) with full armament

Here Russians do not seem "with extremely limited range"

PS the only thing is true is the fact that our a-crafts have an ancient computers

Not_a_boffin
14th Dec 2011, 14:00
May be true of Flagon and even Fulcrum, but not Comrade Sukhoi's more recent products.....

Su33 has a MTOW equivalent to an F14, but with a lighter empty weight (unsurprisingly given single seat, no swing wing and no cat-rated nose gear).

serge-frog
14th Dec 2011, 14:18
Flagon? Something flying from the Churchill and Hitler years?

500N
14th Dec 2011, 14:25
Flagon is at least better than Fishbed or Fishpot. :O

serge-frog
14th Dec 2011, 14:31
What about Mikoyan's - the last (35th) Fulcrum has the same MTOW as Super Hornet. Their ranges: 2000 km for MIG with full ammo, missils etc (9 rails with rockets and gun ammo) vs 2300 km for Super Hornet with only 2 rockets

Heathrow Harry
14th Dec 2011, 14:37
Jamesdevice wrote:-

""Under Putin, Russia is re-inventing /revisiting both its imperial and communist past"

So they're might sail past Gibralter (UK colony) Melihah (Spanish colony)
Malta (ex British colony), Cyprus (still a British base) possibly via Egypt (another ex British "protectorate") and Aden (least said ...) and Oman (just about independent from the UK) to the straights of Hormuz

Just WHO are the imperialists on this route James???

glojo
14th Dec 2011, 14:40
I have yet to see any footage of those aircraft taking off with anything like a half decent payload but by crikey they do have a very envious power to weight ratio.

Looking at the footage in the above posts it looks to me like one aircraft is taking off with the brakes still fully on!! It has certainly left behind a large amount of rubber.

I dread to think of the additional costing to try and upgrade the Typhoon for carrier operation. My home from home was directly underneath the flight deck and all recoveries were more like controlled 'crashes'. The under carriage has to be constructed from good old fashioned Welsh cast iron!! :uhoh:;) Anything less will not stand the stresses involved in this environment.

Because it's a very space-inefficient way of operating a deck. Both launch and recovery modes require most of the deck to be clear, hence very little room for spotting a/c. Kuznetsov is bigger than QEC, yet has less sortie generation potential.

Look at how much space is taken up for the launching of heavier aircraft. The big trucks they use as crash tenders take up all the space frrd of the island and I guess there will be room for a few parked aircraft aft of that structure but then you are down to getting aircraft out of the hanger lifts that can NEVER be obstructed!! Not a good procedure by any stretch of my vivid imagination. :rolleyes:

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/ulyanovsk-line.jpg?w=008ce3d5

serge-frog
14th Dec 2011, 15:18
Harry
I am laughing when reading his

"Now under Putin you have the beginnings of a military resurgence", "They are now emerging from that military hiatus. More intrusive flights, more naval expeditions", and "They have global territorial objectives again, and these excursions are part of their rebuilding their skill set"

jamesdevice
14th Dec 2011, 15:54
Serge. Harry
But we gave up our territorial ambitions and don't really want them back

And as for "I am laughing when reading his..."
To paraphrase a certain lady called Mandy "Well you would, wouldn't you"

You may be too young to remember that one...

Jimlad1
14th Dec 2011, 17:40
"But we gave up our territorial ambitions and don't really want them back"

And yet since 1991, we have operated in a long list of countries, many of which were either former territory, or fell into our spheres of influence. Is it any wonder people are suspicious of UK / western motives when they see us still hanging round in areas we'd claimed to have left 40 plus years ago?

We may not harbour territorial amibitions, but we still have policy ambitions to keep certain nations in our sphere of interest / influence.

RandomBlah
14th Dec 2011, 17:51
It would only be prudent that such a surface deployment had an SSN for support. Given that this Russian deployment is passing so close to the UK, indeed according to open source at one point sheltering 30 nm from the moray firth, do we know precisely where this SSN is? Assuming that it is there of course.....:ugh:

Hell Man
14th Dec 2011, 18:07
RasPutin is just itching to pick a fight with the West and to be seen as a hero in the eyes of China, Iran and others.

jamesdevice
14th Dec 2011, 18:37
ah, here we go. Some more excellent reporting from the Daily Fail
"HMS York scrambled to Scotland....."
Wonder what the time to interception was?

HMS York scrambled to Scotland in Russian fleet security scare | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2073901/HMS-York-scrambled-Scotland-Russian-fleet-security-scare.html?ito=feeds-newsxml)

serge-frog
14th Dec 2011, 18:52
Hell Man, Putin does not want any issues. Moreover, today he and his hand-toy Dima are face to face with probable revolution inside the country. So, any wars outside - what can be worse for them? Putin is a lead of the gangs, crooks and theives, the only thing that he needs - don't stop getting money from taxes, gas, wood and oil. War means the end of this beautiful life for him. One of the most recent phrases by Putin "Do not shake the boat!"

James, my native language is Russian and Ukrainian, so I did not catch this athorism. The only thing that I can say - our Russian government people don't want to do their best for army - almost all that you hear as renovation is the way to launder money or to steal something. I know what I am talking about - I had spent 12 years in Russian Armed Forces

jamesdevice
14th Dec 2011, 19:11
Serge
it comes from a 1960's court case, and associated scandal in which a British Defence Minister called John Profumo was found to be sharing a prostitute / "girlfriend" with the senior Soviet Naval Attache... Quite a good effort by the Soviets - they got rid of one our more professionally minded (at the time) defence politicians
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandy_Rice-Davies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Profumo

glojo
15th Dec 2011, 09:25
Russian warships steams within 30 miles of UK coast to take shelter from dreadful weather conditions!

Is this really a big deal? I guess being a warship does been it needs political clearance to enter our waters but we are talking about storm force or at times hurricane force winds and even Nelson had to give second best and take shelter.

The much sought after anchorage they sheltered in would have been either Lyme or Torbay and guess what?

Today there are just under THIRTY ships from numerous nations all sheltering here in Torbay taking that much sought after sanctuary. The numbers will obviously vary by the minute It is not news, it is good seamanship and of course self preservation, but never let the truth get in the way of a headline grabbing story!

As I am typing I note the coastguard helicopter (CG 106) is airborne and heading out to seaward.

serge-frog
15th Dec 2011, 10:29
What a panic? 30 miles is out of 12-mile zone around the shores, isn't it?

Widger
15th Dec 2011, 10:38
ah, here we go. Some more excellent reporting from the Daily Fail
"HMS York scrambled to Scotland....."
Wonder what the time to interception was?

Yes, the interception time may well have been greater than by other methods but......the time on task will be considerably greater....weeks if need be.

glojo
15th Dec 2011, 11:04
What a panic? 30 miles is out of 12-mile zone around the shores, isn't it?

Hi Serge,
Hopefully this might answer your query.
Click here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_economic_zone#United_Kingdom)

I guess the Kuznetsov will be receiving a certain degree of attention from numerous assets from our armed forces...

Duncan D'Sorderlee
15th Dec 2011, 11:15
glojo,

'I guess the Kuznetsov will be receiving a certain degree of attention from numerous assets from our armed forces... '

That's the funniest thing I've heard in ages!

Duncs

NutLoose
15th Dec 2011, 11:43
I don't think so, sitigeltfel.....

Back when Gorbachev met Maggie at Brize, some of us were tasked to assist the crews of the 4 Il-62s involved. Mine was the one with the KGB security folk on board, who were whisked off to the Gateway for lunch whilst we sorted out the aircrews' requirements.

On board the jet (with excellent cabin heating, unlike the FunBus), the chief flight attendant asked whether we'd like coffee. We accepted with grateful thanks, whereupon her Rosa Klebb countenance morphed into a friendly prep school matron's smile. From the galley appeared 3 gorgeous little Russian hosties with excellent coffee and some very tasty Russian chocolates. We went out of our way to say how good they were and thanked them - they turned pink and scuttled back to the galley like naughty little schoolgirls.

There was only one rather dubious looking chap on the jet - obviously the KGB aircraft security bloke who sat brooding in the corner in his track suit. But we even got him to smile when I saw the nest of chapka hats in the overhead rack and began stroking and miaowing at them - by then the Russians thought we were completely bonkers.

Eventually the American navigator came on board (the jet was due to land in the US) - rather a petite blonde captain. When we heard excited voices from the rather ursine flight deck crew, I asked our host why the female navigator was such a surprise - "Surely you have female aircrew in your air force?"

"Da, we do - but none like her!"

It was quite a fun day - the spooks went into a fluster when 39 out of 40 KGB in matching raincoats returned from the Gateway. They obviously concluded that the missing man was either defecting or taking photos of the decadent capitalist hotel. But then he appeared all hot and flustered and out of breath. Much barracking from his colleagues, so I queried our host.

"He in lavatory - miss bus. Had to walk!"

Sometimes the obvious reasons are overlooked!

Ahh.. did you get he little tie pin thing off the Russians?

Remember the Antics,

New fuelling unit, connected up, then sample taken to see what additives was in their fuel.. before refuelling.

Standing some of the mature trees up along the main drag with 4 tonners and backfilling and turfing so they all appeared upright and neat...

Towing the hire cars away from outside the terminal, and listening to the bang as all the steering locks sheared.

Removing all the bike stands including the bikes in them.

Resurfacing of the road overnight outside the camp, so his wife could visit the local school (Reminds me of Gut when they did the same for the Queen and she went the other way I believe).

Emptying the local villages dustbins and all the rubbish along the said route as there was a strike on and the rest of the village complaining we hadn't done theirs.

Full rehearsal including meal the day before.

Painting everything......

(Still not as bad as Odious when they shovelled the snow off the road and then sprayed the dirty snow white, so that Prince Charles would see pristine snow as he was whisked through to his flight)........

Ahhh the Bullsh*t, not missed......

serge-frog
15th Dec 2011, 12:29
Hi Serge,
Hopefully this might answer your query.
Click here

I guess the Kuznetsov will be receiving a certain degree of attention from numerous assets from our armed forces

Hey, "territorial waters" != EEZ, so "a certain degree of attention" is ok, but talking about a russ military resurgence, Putin's ambitions and abilities to intercept looks like a panic a bit. May be because I can't understand English clearly.

As for me, more suitable in this situation would be talking about the our weak ancient ships that can't go through small storm without stopping near the isle.

But now we can see that islemen are alerted about these weak vessels instead of laughing about the warships that looks like persons with disabilities in the sea.

glojo
15th Dec 2011, 13:07
Hi Serge,
We have in recent days experienced weather that has been quite exceptional

Click here (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3986055/Storm-batters-Britain-with-150mph-winds.html)

I do agree with your very valid point and just like any sailor I have been in some really violent storm force conditions although 150mph ++ is exceptional. 100mph plus winds in a small frigate is from experience 'entertaining' and as you rightly say it should not be a cause of concern for a carrier, but is she in company with any smaller ships that our tabloid press have not reported?

You do have or did have much smaller vessels that tended to shadow our exercises and I guess these may well have struggled to cope with those types of sea conditions.

I could can understand the need for taking shelter if she could not clear her flight deck of all the ancillary equipment that she may be carrying, although with that ski-slope type bow, unlike our older conventional carriers I doubt if she would be taking green water over the bow.

It is a sad reflection on the state of our own surface fleet when we have to steam from Portsmouth all the way north for that type of duty. You can bet your bottom dollar that it was a most uncomfortable journey for the crew of the British warship as I doubt they were asked to take their time getting on station. http://www.myemoticons.com/images/humor/bathroom/vomit-into-the-toilet.gif

serge-frog
15th Dec 2011, 14:53
Hi glojo
They all are from the North Flees bases. Towns around these navy bases are obviously in Russia called "the towns of flying dogs", so, the picture like
ePJ9aY5LBHg
is ok for our north - nothing exceptional.

Speed of the wind 165 mph is a record and I believe that an average is much slower. Kuznetsov has a company of Chabanenko which displacement is 8900 tons - it is less then almost 60000 tons for Kuznetsov, but almost equal two HMS York's displacements. Also there are several frigates with displacements like HMS York. All other ships, as I know, should share their sailing in the near future, but not now.

Note, that frigate Neustrashimij (Undaunted) there is for relocating his Ka-27 helicopter on Kuznetsov. So, russian navy pilots consider this weather is ok for flights from one ship to another.

What about the state of our fleets (and Armed Forces in general) - it's a common problem. Governments do not want to feed big army - they forget the phrase "You will feed an enimy's army if you do not want to feed your own soldiers". Russia now feel it - we pay Chechnya, which officially is the part of Russia but in fact - the separate hostile territory with slavery, gunshots and terrorists.

Courtney Mil
15th Dec 2011, 15:02
On the other hand:

If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat. And if he is thirsty, give him water to drink; for you will heap burning coals on his head, and the Lord will reward you. (Proverbs 25:21,22)

Not I sure I entirely understand that, but there you go.

Green Flash
15th Dec 2011, 15:07
the towns of flying dogs

Nice one Serge, that made I larf! :ok:

engineer(retard)
15th Dec 2011, 15:30
They would have felt at home in the Moray Firth :)

Green Flash
15th Dec 2011, 15:40
They would have felt at home in the Moray Firth

Well, plenty of dogs. Mostly on a Friday and Saturday night.

:}:E;)

serge-frog
15th Dec 2011, 17:54
Courtney, sometimes I think - may be it would be better to feed enimies from outside then theives from inside - from our own government

Green Flash, can you imaging how were we happy, being posted in those assholes after Military Academies and Military Universities? I still remember these 28 months in the Regt near Ussuriysk, where in wintertime was -25..-30°C (-13..-22 °F) and without the snow because of wind that blows all the snow away.

glojo
15th Dec 2011, 20:46
Hi Serge,
Thank you so much for posting that Youtube clip.... I HATE COLD WEATHER, hence I live in the South-West of England. I felt so sorry for that child who lost their hat!! Thank goodness they did not get run over trying to recover it. To put things in perspective my children who are now in their late twenties have only ever seen snow once in their lives and that was last year!!

I agree with you when you state how your ships would easily deal with the current sea conditions. I served on a frigate that was just over 2500 tons and she would easily have sailed through those types of sea. I have fond memories regarding some pilots that if the need arose would fly their wasp helicopter in hurricane force winds!! :ooh::ooh: (not all of them would)

I guess landing a helicopter on the moving ride of a big dipper might, just might be more difficult, but in Force 12 or 13 hurricane force winds with the ship going up and down like a see-saw and rolling from side to side, with ice on the decks and of course the ship trying to make head-way is not something I would be first in the queue to try. Then once safely down on the deck having to rely on the deck handlers to run out with strops to lash the thing down. That takes HUGE cajones.

RESPECT with a capital 'R' to these brave men in their flying machines :D;)

Who really knows why that Russian group of ships decided to pay us a visit?

Tongue in cheek and just for the conspiracy idiots that sometimes play their silly games....The Volga Boatman I just love that music and never tire of listening to it. (I hope I have the correct title)

serge-frog
16th Dec 2011, 08:16
Hi glojo, you should not be sorry about it - it is just a weather, like a rain, fog or something. We really do not recognize it like a disaster. Don't take that to heart, we are used to this weather. It's just a weather.

glojo
16th Dec 2011, 08:25
Hi Serge,
Your grasp of the English language is amazing..... My hearty congratulations but I was not sorry or sad regarding the weather, as you rightly say it is an act of nature and that is something NO ONE can alter.

I felt sorry for that child who lost their hat in that extremely severe weather. It hurtled off their head and for a moment my heart was in my mouth as that child run onto the road. Loosing a hat in those freezing conditions is going to be extremely uncomfortable and what will mum and dad say when that child comes home without their headgear? :sad:

serge-frog
16th Dec 2011, 09:01
glojo, we just do not divide the weather (wind) and the consequences (loosing hat in this case) - it's the same for us. That's the reason because of which I had write my prev post.

Actually, nature could be more dangerous than this wind and we know a lot about that fact. May be because of that we do not pay attention to the lost hats and several small bruises due to that wind:
8R4yw_VDMg4

Ok, it's a time to feed my own bear, I should give him some conserved milk and vodka.

TEEEJ
16th Dec 2011, 17:19
Russian warships leave Moray Firth for Atlantic

BBC News - Russian warships leave Moray Firth for Atlantic (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-16215748)

Russian warships and support vessels which had taken shelter in the Moray Firth are heading for the Atlantic, according to the Royal Navy.

HMS York has been tracking aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov, a destroyer and two frigates.

Three oil tankers in the task group left the warships to pass through the Pentland Firth on Thursday.

An ocean-going tug, the Nikolay Chiker, was about 27 miles off Stronsay in Orkney on Friday morning.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said the vessels - elements of Russia's Baltic Fleet - were moving over the top of Scotland.

Shetland Coastguard said the tankers had moved through the Pentland Firth - the stretch of water between Scotland's north mainland coast and Orkney.

The Nikolay Chiker had been headed north off Orkney before turning north east.

TEEEJ
21st Dec 2011, 09:52
HMS York completes a week shadowing Russia’s biggest warship around the British Isles

http://www.navynews.co.uk/archive/news/item/3121

Northern Fleet Pilots Fly Over Atlantic (http://rusnavy.com/news/newsofday/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=13898)

Green Flash
21st Dec 2011, 10:36
When he was practicing aerobatics, NF Fighter Regiment Deputy Commander Col. Pavel Podguzov carried out first deck landing.

So, he trapped at the bottom of a loop, eh?:eek: If so, Sir, yours must be made from titanium, the size of footballs and gold plated to boot!:ok:

TEEEJ
21st Dec 2011, 14:33
The Russian Navy are quite active during this deployment in Morse Code. For the most part they use international callsigns and a list of frequencies assigned and agreed by the International Telegraph Union.

Obviously the near impossible part is linking the callsign to the exact vessel. That aside they do on occasion send weather and sea state reports containing a lat and long.

I noted callsign RAL46 sending the following on 12464 Khz at 1234 GMT today.

RAL46 BT 715 19 21 1614 715 BT FM RAL46

21121 99367 70096 41498 80207 10160 40310 53010 70211 884// 22233 20801 302// 41002 21014 BT AR

From the message the second and third groups contain the lat long. That puts the ship off the southwest of Portugal.

36.7N 09.6W

36.7N 09.6W - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=36.7N+09.6W&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=40915l43678l0l46502l1l1l0l0l0l0l142l142l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1240&bih=618&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

Group 6 = 10160 will be the temperature plus 16

I believe that group 11 indicates heading and speed? 22233 222 degrees at 3.3 knots?

Probably an indication that the Kuznetsov Task Group, or elements of, are shortly to enter the Mediterranean and meet up with the Frigate Ladny?

Black Sea Fleet (BSF) frigate Ladny heading for the Mediterranean Sea has called at French Navy's main naval base Toulon before joining Russian Navy carrier group comprising ships of Northern and Baltic fleets. ....

The Russian warship will replenish water and fuel supplies in Toulon and on Dec 17 lay a course for the rendezvous point of Russian Navy carrier group in the western part of the Mediterranean.

From

Black Sea Fleet Frigate Ladny Visits French Toulon (http://rusnavy.com/news/navy/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=13886)

The Ladny has already visited Malta earlier in the month.

LADNYY 801 - ShipSpotting.com - Ship Photos and Ship Tracker (http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1453625)

The following links contain the frequencies and info for those with a receiver.

NSNL 72 - Military stations (http://www.cvni.net/radio/nsnl/nsnl072/nsnl72mil.html)

Morse Code Networks (http://www.astrosol.ch/networksofthecisforces/navymorsenetworks/index.html)

Morse Traffic explained (http://www.astrosol.ch/networksofthecisforces/navymorsenetworks/5379039b980dad902/index.html)

Biggus
21st Dec 2011, 14:52
Out of interest (boredom?) I googled the Ladnyy. I don't know how much she has been updated over the years, but she is a 30+ year old frigate, still equipped with SSN-14 and SAN-4.

I haven't looked at the vessels that make up the rest of the Task Group, and am not up to date with recent developments in Russian naval forces, how is their ship building programme these days, have there been any follow on post Udaloy, Sovremenny and Slava, which must all be starting to get a bit long in the tooth!

(Obviously I am not expecting to hear anything that isn't open source -in fact, given my usual track record on pprune I'm not expecting any response at all!!)

Courtney Mil
21st Dec 2011, 15:23
Biggus,

Udaloy was followed by Udaloy II. The last Sovremmeny is only about five years old, I think China bought it, with all new SANs. Slava was a bit older, using (I think) the Kresta/Kara hull. I think the programme fell apart when the Soviet Union colapsed.

Hope an answer is a nice surprise! Even if it isn't very helpful.

Biggus
21st Dec 2011, 15:49
Courtney,

Thanks...... :ok:

TEEEJ
22nd Dec 2011, 08:11
Morse weather report from callsign RK081 with coordinates.

Transmitted on 8345 Khz at 0030 GMT 22 December

RK081 BT 794 20 22 0400 794 BT SML

22001 99369 70069 41798 10305 10160 .027. .4000 70200 81/// 22223 00170 21/// 303// ...... Signal fades out

From the second and third group the lat and long is

36.9N 06.9W (North West of Rota/Cadiz, Spain)

36.9N 06.9W - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&cp=12&gs_id=3&xhr=t&q=36.9N+06.9W&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1240&bih=618&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

TEEEJ
22nd Dec 2011, 08:52
Biggus wrote

I haven't looked at the vessels that make up the rest of the Task Group,...

It should be the following, Biggus?

Admiral Kuznetsov,
Admiral Chabanenko

The Baltic Fleet Frigate Yaroslav Mudry joined the Task Force off Scotland along with the tanker/oiler Lena.

SAR Nikolay Chiker
Fleet oilers Sergei Osipov, Vyazma, Kama

The Baltic Fleet Frigate Neustrashimy is also part of the Task Force

defence.professionals | defpro.com (http://www.defpro.com/news/details/30454/?SID=f28b08ee3a3def6bd2cfac74ce363178)

TEEEJ
22nd Dec 2011, 11:51
Morse Code message on 12464 Khz at 1214 GMT - 22 December. This places the vessel in the Mediterranean.

RMP DE RK081 QSA IMI QTC K
RKO81 303 20 22 1600 303 BT SML FOR RJD38 BT

22121 99357 70041 41798 12705 10180 40266 5.000 70200 81001 22233 0170. ..501 327// 4///// 88000 80000 22017 AR RK081

From the second and third groups of the message.

35.7N 04.1W

35.7N 04.1W - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=35.7N+04.1W&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=27793l30301l2l32473l1l0l1l0l0l0l0l0ll1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1240&bih=618&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

The callsign that the vessel (RK081) is sending the message to is RMP. This is the Baltic Fleet HQ at Kaliningrad so it narrows down the likely candidates.

Global Frequency Database: Details - Kaliningrad, Russia RMP 4.079 MHz/4079 kHz - Radio Scanner Frequencies (http://qrg.globaltuners.com/details.php?id=6748)

Very hard to tie down the callsign to a specific ship. It could be anyone of the Baltic Fleet vessels in the Task Group? RK081 is possibly the Tanker Lena entering the Mediterranean first to link up with the Black Sea Fleet Frigate Ladny?

Baltic Sea Fleet elements of the Task Force.

Tanker Lena
Frigate Yaroslav Mudry
Frigate Neustrashimy

Russia: BF Frigate Yaroslav Mudry Joins Carrier Group >> Naval Today (http://navaltoday.com/2011/12/15/russia-bf-frigate-yaroslav-mudry-joins-carrier-group/)

TEEEJ
22nd Dec 2011, 12:17
Another two vessels enter the Mediterranean

Morse Code message on 12464 Khz at 1254 GMT - 22 December

RIT DE RAL46 QSA IMI QTC K
RAL46 145 17 22 1630 145 BT FM RAL46 RAL65 FOR RJD74 RJH45

22121 99357 70040 41/98 03004 10180 40.62 51020 70200 22233 330// 40801 22012 BT AR RAL46

From the second and third group of the message.

35.7N 04.0W

35.7N 04.0W - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=35.7N+04.0W&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=432507l432507l0l433975l1l1l0l0l0l0l228l228l2-1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1240&bih=618&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

Vessel RAL46 is also sending the message for another callsign RAL65. It appears to be travelling in close proximity. Callsign RAL46 and RAL65 could be the carrier Admiral Kuznetsov and escort Admiral Chabanenko?

The callsign RIT is HQ Northern Fleet Severomorsk.

TEEEJ
23rd Dec 2011, 10:49
The Frigate Ladny is currently visiting Ceuta.

Black Sea Fleet (BSF) frigate Ladny pays formal visit to Spanish port of Ceuta, told BSF Information Support Department to Central Navy Portal.

Carrying out long-range cruise in the Mediterranean Sea, BSF frigate Ladny pays the last formal call at Spanish port of Ceuta en route to rendezvous point with Russian Navy's task force. Earlier on, Ladny called at ports of Malta and France. Basically, the visit's purpose is replenishment of fuel and water supplies as well as crew rest. During the visit, the cruise command will visit city and military authorities of Ceuta.

Visit of frigate Ladny to the Spanish port will finish on Dec 23. As is expected, tomorrow the ship would join the task force of Northern and Baltic fleets led by aircraft-carrying cruiser Admiral Kuznetsov.

Frigate Ladny Called at Spanish Port Ceuta (http://rusnavy.com/news/navy/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=13936)

According to the the seawaves website the Ladny will visit Valletta, Malta on the 27th December. The RFS Sergei Osipov will visit Valletta, Malta on the 26th December.

Warship & Navy Port Visits | SeaWaves Books (http://www.seawaves.com/portvisits.asp)

Hard to say from the monitored Morse communications whether the Kuznetsov is actually in the Mediterranean. Obviously some elements have made the transit. Callsign RKO81 made a further transmission yesterday with a position off the coast of Morocco.

A Russian TV Channel reported the following on the 22nd December.

The Russian squadron led by heavy aircraft carrying cruiser "Admiral Kuznetsov" is close to Gibraltar.

TEEEJ
23rd Dec 2011, 14:11
Thanks for the advice. Who appointed you OC Welfare? :)

downsizer
23rd Dec 2011, 16:41

I see the USS Ponce is to be decommisioned....

what an unfortunate name...:uhoh:

COCL2
23rd Dec 2011, 17:31
Hypothetical question
How capable is that carrier / aircraft combination? If it was parked off Syria would it be a credible threat to the much-vaunted attack on Iran - assuming the attack was from the west?

Courtney Mil
23rd Dec 2011, 17:43
If even half the Russian ships listed at the TEEJ's link end up in the Eastern Med, it's a very potent force. The a/c and ship combination is good enough to take on anything else around there. I think (and I know I will get corrected) this could be the biggest gathering there since about 1983, apart from a couple of big ops. Yeah, I wouldn't underestimate it. They've come a long way since the collapse of the former Soviet Union.

COCL2
23rd Dec 2011, 17:57
I was thinking in terms of taking on a B-2 fitted with those new penetration bombs....

Canadian Break
23rd Dec 2011, 18:17
2hrs 10 minutes:ok:

Trim Stab
23rd Dec 2011, 19:25
Aha! And here I was wondering what Hermes was doing in the Med this afternoon!

Biggus
23rd Dec 2011, 20:28
CM,

So why is it "a very potent force"? I'd be interested to hear your reasoning. While I'm not trying to start an argument, from my perspective I see the following:

If you start by ignoring the carrier, that leaves 1 destroyer and a 2 frigates which between them only have short range SAM systems, along with ASW and anti ship weapons. They hardly have the capacity to dominate the airspace around them, and only have 100mm gunfire to offer in terms of effecting events ashore....

As to the carrier itself, how big an airgroup did it actually sail with, how worked up are they, capable of maintaining sustained ops, etc... When did it last spend an extended time at sea?

I would suggest this group is significantly different from a US carrier group, with 70+ combat ready aircraft, and at least one escort, probably more, with a 100nm ish SAM system...... Such a naval task force can dominate the airspace around itself.

NutLoose
24th Dec 2011, 20:42
Why was he banned?

TEEEJ
27th Dec 2011, 21:13
Russian Navy Carrier Group Entered Mediterranean (http://rusnavy.com/news/navy/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=13960)

Northern Fleet (NF) aircraft-carrying cruiser Admiral Kuznetsov on Dec 23 passed Gibraltar Strait and entered the Mediterranean Sea.

Other ships of the carrier strike group passed the strait few hours earlier.

In accordance with further plans, the Russian Navy's task force consisting of NF large ASW ship Admiral Chabanenko, Baltic Fleet (BF) frigate Yaroslav Mudry, and NF tanker Sergei Osipov will pay a formal visit to Spanish port Ceuta.

Aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov and other supply vessels in the nearest time will head for anchorage site in western part of the Mediterranean Sea in order to replenish the carrier's supplies.

Black Sea Fleet (BSF) frigate Ladny joined the carrier group on Friday, Dec 23.......

The last Morse Code weather report that I picked up was on the 26th December on 12464 Khz.

Russian Navy vessel RKO81 in contact with HQ Black Sea Fleet, Sevastopol (RCV)

12464 RCV DE RKO81 QSA ? QTC @ 1335
RKO81 BT 731 20 26 1600 731 BT SML FOR RJD38 BT
26121 99357 70017 41698 10911 10150 40306 57001 70110 81/// 23262 01170 299// 309// 4//// 88000 80000 26017 BT AR RKO81 K

Lat and long from the last three figures of the second and third groups 99357 70017

35.7N 01.7W (Off Algerian coast)

35.7N 01.7W - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&cp=12&gs_id=1q&xhr=t&q=35.7N+01.7W&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1240&bih=618&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

Courtney Mil
28th Dec 2011, 18:18
SAMXXV,

Some people choose to use the anonimity that this site permits, for sound reasons. I choose not to be anon because I have no reason to be. The identities of any posters should not be the subject of speculation of other members. Quite what you're trying to acheive by your speculation is anyone's guess. People join the forum all the time, it is not for us to try to guess who they are, especially in public.

Courtney

serge-frog
29th Dec 2011, 08:30
They've come a long way since the collapse of the former Soviet Union
Bhahaha!
Long way to cemetry, as I think

Courtney Mil
29th Dec 2011, 09:17
TEEEJ, Great update, thank you.

Biggus, sorry, I wasn't ignoring your point, just caught up in Christmas. My speculation was more about all the ships that are at sea at the moment and wondering how many of them may end up in the region. The list looked like a lot of Russian hardware COULD make it to the Eastern Med (or further east) in reasonably short order. Just speculating.

Courtney

glojo
29th Dec 2011, 10:08
This is another thread where 'Mossad' is removing my posts so instead of posting a link I will copy and paste some text.. This battle group was deployed to sail to Syria. It has always been planned to go there and I guess we can all understand why but here is the nitty gritty:

Moscow is deploying warships at its base in the Syrian port of Tartus. The long-planned mission comes, providentially, at the very moment when it could help prevent a potential conflict in the strategically important Middle Eastern country.
*The Russian battle group will consist of three vessels led by the heavy aircraft-carrying missile cruiser, Admiral Kuznetsov.
Russian military officials insist that the move has no connection with the ongoing crisis in the region and was planned a year ago, the Izvestia newspaper reports. Apart from Syria, the aircraft carrier and its escort ships are set to visit the Lebanese capital, Beirut, Genoa in Italy and Cyprus, says the former Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Viktor Kravchenko.
Nevertheless, he added that the presence of a military force other than NATO’s is very useful for this region, because “it will prevent the outbreak of an armed conflict,” Izvestia quoted Kravchenko as saying.
The Soviet Union, the Admiral recalled, created a special naval squadron to deter Western military forces in the Mediterranean Sea. To repair and supply its ships, Moscow needed its own maintenance base in the region, and that was how the base in Tartus came into being.
At present, the base is mostly used to support vessels of Russia’s Black Sea fleet. Some 600 military and civilian personnel of the Defense Ministry serve there.

It will be interesting to see how long this post remains 'on station' ;);) or should that be :mad::ok:

TEEEJ
29th Dec 2011, 18:39
No problem, Courtney. A further update.

The Russian Navy Morse weather reports have continued on a regular basis. The ships have remained mainly off the coast of Algeria. Some of the vessels conducted a port visit to Cueta, Spain.

Transmission from the 29th December for ships RAL46, RKO81 and RAL65. Some of the vessels are now moving further east into the Mediterranean.

29th December. Ship RAL46

12464 RMP DE RAL46 QSA ? QTC K @1244
RAL46 455 16 29 1620 455 BT FOR RJH74 RJH45 BT
29121 99372 10002 41598 30604 10160 40283 53008 70100 8311/ 22213 307// 41603 29013 BT AR RAL46 K
RAL46 OK QRU K

37.2 00.2

37.2 00.2 - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=37.2+00.2&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=0l0l1l1867l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1240&bih=618&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

29th December. Ship RKO81

8345 RMP DE RKO81 QSA ? QTC K @1801
RMP DE RKO81 QSA ? QTC K @1803
RKO81 375 18 29 2200 375 BT SML FOR RJD38 BT
29181 99381 10032 41598 23407 10145 40266 54000 70200 82111 22212 0010. 29920 88000 80000 29015 BT AR RKO81 K
RKO81 QRU K

From last three figures of second and third groups 99381 10032

38.1 03.2

38.1 03.2 - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&cp=10&gs_id=3&xhr=t&q=38.1+03.2&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1240&bih=618&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

29th December Ship RAL65

8345 RIW DE RAL65 911 17 29 0411 911 BT
FOR RJH45 RJE73 RJH74 BT
29101 99357 70025 41/98 92706 10150 40375 54000 70222 89/// 22262 00140 20302 29013 BT RAL65 K

From last three figures of second and third groups.

35.7 02.5

35.7N 02.5W - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=35.7N+02.5W&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=2404l4847l0l6306l1l1l0l0l0l0l109l109l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1240&bih=618&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

Image links of the following ships.

RFS Admiral Chabanenko, Cueta, Spain

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/412/cimg2463v.jpg/)

RFS Yaroslav Mudry, Cueta Spain

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/252/cimg2466.jpg/)

Scuttled
29th Dec 2011, 19:23
I'm with Courtney on this. Excellent updates from TEEJ.

Big thanks from here too!

Modern Elmo
31st Dec 2011, 01:36
The identities of any posters should not be the subject of speculation of other members.

Why is that? Who made you the boss here?

phil9560
31st Dec 2011, 02:09
Its why we have aliases Elmo.

SWBKCB
31st Dec 2011, 06:22
From the FAQ's

PPRuNe Forum Rules

Do not 'out' (reveal or attempt to reveal) the identity of another poster.

TEEEJ
31st Dec 2011, 12:31
No problem, Scuttled! Thanks.

Ship, callsign RAL65, has now left the Mediterranean and is heading north off the coast of Portugal.

12464 RIW DE RAL65 QSA ? QTC K @ 1238
RAL65 641 16 31 1602 641 BT FOR RJH45 RJH74 BT
31121 99406 70111 41498 72707 10190 40430 52015 70322 873// 22212 00110 20302 31013 BT AR RAL65 K

From the last three figures of the second and third groups 99406 70111

40.6N 11.1W

40.6N 11.1W - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&safe=off&q=40.6N+11.1W&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=1853l3335l0l4569l1l1l0l0l0l0l105l105l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

Currently at Valletta, Malta is the RSF Ladny (Frigate) and RFS Sergei Osipov (Oiler)

From

Malta Ship & Action Photos by Capt. Lawrence Dalli (http://www.maltashipphotos.com/index.asp)

January 2012

i) On Monday 2nd January, 2012 the Russian Navy (Project 1135) Krivak Class Frigate RFS LADNY 801 is leaving Malta from alongside RFS SERGEI OSIPOV at Parlatorio Wharf, Palumbo Malta Shipyard Ltd.

ii) On Monday 2nd January, 2012 the Russian Navy (Project 1559/1593) Boris Chilikin class Fleet Oiler RFS SERGEI OSIPOV is leaving Malta from Parlatorio Wharf, Palumbo Malta Shipyard Ltd.

glojo
31st Dec 2011, 12:57
I have never seen a Russian carrier launching\recovering aircraft but looking at the position where heavier aircraft take-off then the turn around of aircraft is not going to break any records and how many fully laden aircraft could they park on the deck waiting to take off?

Such a large ship but no catapults!!

A slightly smaller ship but was she a superior vessel? :\:D(Gone but not forgotten) This post is here to highlight how a ship with steam catapults is probably a better option than the Russian or even our own through deckers. The Russian ship can allegedly carry a few more aircraft but getting them off the deck in a hurry would be interesting to watch

http://stat001.ameba.jp/user_images/20090923/16/goshi88/c0/ba/j/o0600040610259716855.jpg

I have highlighted the rear most take off slot for her heavier aircraft and as per a previous post I have still not seen any footage of any type of aircraft taking off from this Russian carrier with anything near a max weapon load! Rumours abound that the Russian carrier is allegedly going to be modernised, her boiler system removed, gas turbines installed and that ski jump replaced with catapults!! Nothing like good old fashioned scuttle-butt however that type of conversion will be more than a days work!! I would really appreciate input from Fod-Plod on the amount of work involved as to me it would appear to be a major task and if the boilers come out then I would ask, have the Russians 'borrowed' the design drawings for the American EMALS electromagnetic launch system.. Hopefully this thread will not drift toward the SH*R topic :oh:

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/ulyanovsk-line.jpg?w=008ce3d5

TEEEJ
2nd Jan 2012, 14:31
Update on the Russian Task Force. The Morse Meterological and Oceanographic messages continue.

1st January on 8345 KHz @ 18 GMT

Callsign RKO81

36.2N 14.7E

36.2 14.7 - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?pq=36.2+14.7&hl=en&cp=11&gs_id=l&xhr=t&q=36.2+14.7&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1600&bih=775&bs=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

2nd January on 8345 KHz @ 00 GMT

Callsign RKO81

36.0N 16.1E

36.0 16.1 - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&cp=9&gs_id=d&xhr=t&q=36.0+16.1&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1600&bih=775&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

2nd January on 8345 KHz @ 00 GMT

Callsign RAL65

39.8N 11.4W

39.8N 11.4W - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?pq=39.7n+11.1w&hl=en&cp=11&gs_id=3&xhr=t&q=39.8N+11.4W&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1600&bih=775&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

2nd January on 12464 KHz @ 12 GMT

Callsign RAL65

39.7N 11.1W

39.7N 11.1W - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&cp=12&gs_id=9&xhr=t&q=39.7N+11.1W&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

Frigate Ladny and Oiler Sergei Osipov left Malta this morning.

The 6th of January should see some exercise activity near Greece.

Russian Navy to carry out exercise in Mediterranean

A division of Russian Navy ships, headed by The Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft-carrier of the Northern Fleet, has come to an agreement with the Greek military about exercises in the Mediterranean Sea.

The exercises are to begin on the 6th of January, a spokesman for the Greek Central Headquarters reports.

According to the Greek military, the Russian division has not arrived at the site yet. The Russian ships set out on a trip on the 6th of December and carried out several exercises of on-board aircraft. Apart from The Admiral Kuznetsov, other ships of the Northern, Baltic and Black Sea Fleets are taking part in the trip.

From

Russian Navy to carry out exercise in Mediterranean: Voice of Russia (http://english.ruvr.ru/2012/01/02/63305319.html)

Russian Navy Delegation Visited Greece (http://rusnavy.com/news/navy/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=13910)

Courtney Mil
2nd Jan 2012, 16:54
Great work again, TEEEJ. Can we now safely disband GCHQ and leave it all up to you? If you're in the market for any other listening jobs, I might have some work for you. :ok:

Seriously, thanks for the update.

Grimweasel
2nd Jan 2012, 19:28
Worrying times. I saw some stock charts last week from 1913 and 1938 and they were very very alike. Then the 2011 chart was overlaid and it was oddly similar. Same with gold. It could be just a fluke but some think it portends global conflict just as it did in the years before WW1 and 2.

With economic woes in Europe, a bubble popping in China, economic issues and huge debts in the US and a potential third term for Putin, Iran getting close to Nukes, Syria imploding etc - there are many catalysts for the next global war.

I would start stocking up on the beans, water, shotguns and rice. 2012 promises to be a game changer in my humble view. What better way to fix your economic woes than going to war!?

TEEEJ
3rd Jan 2012, 22:58
Hi Courtney,

No problem. Lots of amateur radio enthusiasts in Europe and in the US are monitoring the Russian Task Force. For the Russians they have publically stated that the Task Force is not about Syria or support of Assad.

The Russian Task Force is on a bit of a goodwill jolly on this planned deployment. It certainly features a lot of port calls! The meteorological and oceanograpic Morse transmissions were a feature of all the past Russian Carrier Task Force deployments in recent years. This Task Force is slightly larger and they have assigned three vessels to collect the data. The hard part is linking up the callsigns to a specific ship.

The transmissions are in easily decodable international format. See following.

http://www.vos.noaa.gov/ObsHB-508/ObservingHandbook1_2010_508_compliant.pdf

RAL65 message from 31 Dec 2011 at 12 GMT hour

31121 99406 70111 41498 72707 10190 40430 52015 70322 873// 22212 00110 20302 31013 BT AR RAL65 K

The interesting parts of the transmissions are the lat and long, course and speed.

Second and third groups 99406 70111

40.6N 11.1W (If the third group starts with 1 then it denotes Easterly. 7 for Westerly)

The 222?? (22212) group is for course and speed. (RAL65 was on a NE course and travelling between 6 and 10 Knots.

1st figure Code

0 = Ship hove to
1 = NE
2 = E
3 = SE
4 = S
5 = SW
6 = W
7 = NW
8 = N
9 = Unknown
/ = Not reported

2nd figure Code

0 = 0 Knot
1 = 1 - 5 Knots
2 = 6 - 10 Knots
3 = 11 - 15 Knots
4 = 16 - 20 Knots
5 = 21 - 25 Knots
6 = 26 - 30 Knots
7 = 31 - 35 Knots
8 = 36 - 40 Knots
9 = Over 40 Knots
/ = Not reported

The three ships transmitting weather data are RAL65, RKO81 and RAL46. Ship RAL46 ceased transmissions and two ships make a port call at Malta ( Frigate Ladny and the oiler Sergei Osipov). After being underway for a period of time callsign RAL46 reappeared with weather traffic.

Frigate Ladny is Black Sea Fleet and I can't see her having any involvement with HQ Northern Fleet? Ladny went to Ceuta, Spain after a port call in Toulon, France.

Going back to the first RAL46 transmission heard from the Atlantic on 21st December 2011.

RIT DE RAL46 BT 715 19 21 1614 715 BT FM RAL46
21121 99367 70096 41498 80207 10160 40310 53010 70211 884// 22233 20801 302// 41002 21014 BT AR

That placed her in the Atlantic and working with HQ Northern Fleet.(RIT)

36.7N 09.6W

RAL46 appears to be RFS Sergei Osipov.

RKO81 is controlled primarily by HQ Baltic Fleet Headquarters.(Callsign RMP). This narrows it down to either the Frigate Yaroslav Mudry or the tanker Lena.

Interfleet task force was formed in the Moray Firth when the Baltic Fleet (BF) task unit consisting of frigate Yaroslav Mudry and tanker Lena joined the force.

From

Warships, Supply Vessels of Russian Navy’s Carrier Group Move on Through Atlantic >> Naval Today (http://navaltoday.com/2011/12/19/warships-supply-vessels-of-russian-navys-carrier-group-move-on-through-atlantic/)

RAL65 initally entered the Mediterranean and then left after a short period. There is rumour on a Russian forum that the Admiral Chabenenko has been recalled after a port of call in Ceuta, Spain. RAL65 could be the Chabenenko or a tanker in support?

RAL65 has been noted off Portugal for the last few days and now appears to be moving north. Either this is a port of call to Brest, France or it is returning home and possibly via the English Channel? Scramble the Nimrods! OK maybe just the Fleet Ready Escort?

Update for 3rd January.

3rd Jan 00 GMT

RAL46

34.9N 21.4E

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions (http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=34.9N%2021.4E&mkt=en&FORM=BYLH)

3rd Jan 06 GMT

RAL46

34.7N 24.7E

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions (http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=34.7N%2024.7E%20&mkt=en&FORM=BYLH)

3rd Jan 12 GMT

RAL46

34.6N 23.8E

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions (http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=34.6N%2023.8E&mkt=en&FORM=BYLH)

3rd Jan 06 GMT

RKO81

34.8N 22.1E

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions (http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=34.8N%2022.1E&mkt=en&FORM=BYLH)

3rd Jan 12 GMT

RKO81

34.7N 22.1E

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions (http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=34.7N%2022.1E&mkt=en&FORM=BYLH)

3rd Jan 18 GMT

RKO81

34.6N 23.6E

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions (http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=34.6N%2023.6E&mkt=en&FORM=BYLH)

3rd Jan 12 GMT

RAL65

43.4N 09.8W

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions (http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=43.4N%2009.8W&mkt=en&FORM=BYLH)

3rd Jan 18 GMT

RAL65

44.4N 09.1W

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions (http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=44.4N%2009.1W&mkt=en&FORM=BYLH)

Courtney Mil
4th Jan 2012, 09:15
Thanks for the info, TEEEJ. I filled my brain up with met stuff in pilot training - enough to read an airfield actual and TAF. This is a whole different ballgame. The link to the NOAA handbook was very interesting too. I gather from your posts that you're reading these in morse too! Again, I had to learn that in pilot training, but managed to forget it all the day after the exam! I'm impressed!

Please keep up the great work!

Courtney

TEEEJ
4th Jan 2012, 12:09
Hi Courtney. No problem. The Morse is only around 12 words per minute. Sometimes up to 16 wpm. I can copy up to about 30 wpm. There are a lot of amateurs radio guys copying the Task Force at the moment.

Update for 4th January

12464 RIW DE RAL65 QSA ? QTC K @ 1207
RAL65 341 16 4 1601 341 BT FOR RJH45 RJH74 BT
04121 99470 70070 41498 82811 10140 40410 51010 70322 883// 22272 00110 20707 04013 BT AR RAL65 K

RAL65 (RFS Admiral Chabenenko or support vessel?)

47.0N 07.0W

47.0N 07.0W - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&cp=11&gs_id=5&xhr=t&q=47.0N+07.0W&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

4th January 06 GMT

RKO81 (RFS Yaroslav Mudry or RFS Lena)

34.6N 25.8E

34.6N 25.8E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&cp=12&gs_id=3&xhr=t&q=34.6N+25.8E&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

4th January 00 GMT

RKO81

34.6N 24.7E

34.6N 24.7E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?pq=34.6n+25.8e&hl=en&cp=12&gs_id=c&xhr=t&q=34.6N+24.7E&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

4th January 00 GMT

RAL46 (RFS Sergei Osipov)

34.6N 26.2E

34.6N 26.2E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=34.6N+26.2E&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=6176l7586l0l8977l1l1l0l0l0l0l104l104l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

One Amateur Radio enthusiast has picked up a very nice find. Only a partial call with a possible R in it.

4th January 00 GMT

???98

34.9N 35.8E

Located off Tartus, Syria.

34.9N 35.8E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=34.9N+35.8E&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=2029l3368l0l4705l1l1l0l0l0l0l165l165l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

GAVRO
4th Jan 2012, 12:15
I read http://www.vos.noaa.gov/ObsHB-508/Ob..._compliant.pdf and i try to find the other groups.

GAVRO
4th Jan 2012, 12:20
Thanks for the info TEEEJ.

glojo
4th Jan 2012, 12:36
Hi Teej,
Why do you think Russia is trying to deny the destination of this battle group when for many months they have been quite happy to tell the World about this so called planned deployment?

Do you know if the ocean going tug is still in company with the carrier? :)

Biggus
4th Jan 2012, 12:46
glojo,

Try using ..... Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions (http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/)

and type in Nikolay Chiker.

That will show you where the tug is, or at least it did 2 minutes ago.

TEEEJ
4th Jan 2012, 12:51
No problem. GAVRO.

NOTAM for the exercise in the Mediterranean.

Start : 2012-01-02T08:00:00
End : 2012-01-06T16:00:00
Lower : 0
Upper : 270

Code : QWMLW
Traffic : IV

E) JAN 02 05 0800-1600, (ALTERNATIVE JAN 03 06 0800-1600).
RUSSIAN NAVY AND AIRFORCE WILL MAKE A WITHOUT FIRING EXERCISE
WITHIN ATHINAI FIR AS DESCRIBED BELOW:
1.-EXERCISE AREA (WITHOUT FIRING): 361240N0193802E 362406N0195735E
354522N0211928E 352406N0212153E.
VERTICAL LIMITS: SCF-FL270.
2.- PROCEDURE FOR EXERCISE AIRCRAFT:
2.1.- EXERCISE ACFT WILL FLY VFR-VMC IN ACCORDANCE WITH ICAO
RULES AND PROCEDURES AS AMPLIFIED IN AIP-GREECE.
2.2.- EXERCISE ACFT WILL SUBMIT FLIGHT PLANS AND WILL ESTABLISH
CONTINUOUS RADIO COMMUNICATION WITH ATHINAI CONTROL FREQ 134,325 OR 124,625 AND EMERGENCY FREQ 121.5 OR 243.0 AND WITH ATHINAI FIC FREQ 119,750. 2.3.- PRIOR COORDINATION WITH APPROPRIATE ATC UNITS IS REQUIRED IN CASE EXERCISE ACFT EXPECT TO ENTER CONTROLLED AIRSPACE.

TEEEJ
4th Jan 2012, 13:21
Glojo wrote

Why do you think Russia is trying to deny the destination of this battle group when for many months they have been quite happy to tell the World about this so called planned deployment?

Hi Glojo,

The callsign noted sending weather off Tartus, Syria might not be a part of the Task Force or a major warship? There are Russian Navy support platforms based at Tartus and this will also include small vessels.

Admiral Valentin Selivanov revealed in November.

"In Tartus now there aren't any our ships. There is only our floating workshop and storage platform. A month ago also there came the Black Sea Fleet patrol ship "Smetlivy", but she has already returned to Sevastopol.

I won't provide a link to the above as it sparks off my malware software warning.

It has been mixed messages over the past week or so in the Russian media. Some sources say no Tartus visit and others say a small visit. They are obviously very aware that positioning the Task Force in Syrian waters will send out the wrong messages to the international community. The last thing the Russians want is for Assad to interprete this deployment as direct military support and that he can safely ramp up the crackdown on his citizens.

From the Russian backed UN draft.

The draft demands that "all parties" in Syria stop violence. But it also includes a new reference to "disproportionate use of force by Syrian authorities", in what is seen by some analysts as toughening of Moscow's position towards Damascus.

From

BBC News - Syria crisis: Russia circulates surprise UN resolution (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16210330)

glojo
4th Jan 2012, 13:34
BIGGUS, TEEJ

Thank you both very much and it does look like she is still all present and accounted for :)

I understand what you are saying TEEJ and I guess they do not realise it looks silly to deny the obvious, plus the ships are all visiting the planned ports of call that were also published.

Apart from that then it must surely be in the interests of ANY nation to protect its citizens that are 'trapped' in an alleged 'battlezone' ;)

GAVRO
4th Jan 2012, 15:05
TEEEJ where did you find the information about exercise in the Mediterranean, these NOTAM?

Regarding ruvr : The exercises are to begin on the 6th of January, in NOTAM are other data.

TEEEJ
4th Jan 2012, 19:50
Hi GAVRO,

The exercise is still being published for the 6th. I was referring to the flight exercise in the NOTAM.

Russian Navy to carry out exercise in Mediterranean: Voice of Russia (http://english.ruvr.ru/2012/01/02/63305319.html)

4 January 18 GMT

RAL65

47.0N 06.0W

Heading North East at 6-10 Knots.

47.0N 06.0W - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=47.0N+06.0W&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=2823l2823l0l4354l1l1l0l0l0l0l144l144l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

My last update as I will be offline until next week.

GAVRO
5th Jan 2012, 09:23
HI TEEEJ,
Great Work

I undeserstand that in other fligt exercise, OK?, but I not understand how is transmitted this NOTAM...os on radio or is published on site?

glojo
8th Jan 2012, 20:45
Much to my surprise this battle group has now arrived in Syria and will probably remain in port for at least the next six days.

On Sunday, a large Russian naval flotilla led by an aircraft carrier was docked in the Syrian port of Tartous in what Damascus state media hailed as a show of solidarity by its Cold War ally. The Russian naval flotilla aircraft led by an aircraft carrier docked in the Syrian port of Tartous.

GAVRO
9th Jan 2012, 12:19
Great work again TEEEJ.

I wait new information about Russian Navy ships.

TEEEJ
14th Jan 2012, 19:42
GAVRO,

It was originally posted on the following forum.

Scramble Messageboard • Information (http://forum.scramble.nl/viewtopic.php?p=546624)

TEEEJ
14th Jan 2012, 20:11
Russian aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov visit Tartus port, Syria ! - YouTube

A bit more of the Syrian delegation visit to the Russian carrier at the following link. It includes some Su-33 Flanker footage.

Link to Russian news video (http://www.tvzvezda.ru/news/forces/content/201201091222-9hvk.htm)

Russian Navy vessel callsign RAL65 left the Mediterranean, passed through the English Channel and is currently off Norway. Intially it was thought that RAL65 was the Admiral Chabanenko returning home early, but it turned out to be dodgy information from a Russian forum. The Admiral Chabanenko was one of the vessels that visited Tartus, Syria.

RAL65 is possibly a Northern Fleet intelligence collection vessel that was active in the Mediterranean before the Task Force deployed? Rumour control has it as the RFS Kildin, a Moma Class Intelligence Collector, returning to the Northern Fleet? For a period RAL65 was hove to in the Moray Firth.

RFS Kildin no 2 - 15.08.2011 - Malta Ship & Action Photos by Capt. Lawrence Dalli (http://maltashipphotos.com/productfile.asp?ProductID1=6246&PRODUCTCAT1=Intelligence%20Ships)

58.1N 02.7W - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&biw=1095&bih=627&q=58.1N+02.7W&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=2863l5162l0l6353l1l1l0l0l0l0l187l187l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

As of 12 GMT today RAL65 was off Norway and sending weather via Morse Code to HQ Northern Fleet (RIT).

8345 Khz
RIT DE RAL65 QSA ? QTC K @ 1234
RAL65 195 16 14 1615 195 BT FOR RJH45 RJH74 BT
14121 99616 10037 41/97 92210 10070 40335 54005 74724 89/// 22213 00040 20403 14013 BT AR
RAL65 K

Lat and long from the last three figures of the second and third groups.

61.6N 03.7E

61.6N 03.7E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&cp=12&gs_id=5&xhr=t&q=61.6N+03.7E&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

1= Heading North East
3 = 11-15 Knots

The two other vessels RKO81 and RAL46 are currently in the Mediterranean.

14th January 18 GMT RKO81 sending weather to HQ Baltic Fleet (RMP).

8345 Khz
RMP DE RKO81 QSA ? QTC K @1838
RKO81 202 19 14 2200 202 BT SML FOR RJD38 BT
14181 99379 10093 41598 62908 10140 40166 54000 70222 86128 22273 10160 20403 330// 88000 80000 14016 BT AR
RKO81 K

Lat and long from the last three figures of the second and third groups.

37.9N 09.3E

37.9N 09.3E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&cp=12&gs_id=5&xhr=t&q=37.9N+09.3E&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

7 = Heading North West
3 = 11-15 Knots

14th January 00 GMT

RAL46

37.1N 11.7E

37.1N 11.7E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=37.1N+11.7E&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=2280l3713l0l4662l1l1l0l0l0l0l220l220l2-1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

Heading South East at 11-15 kts.

Full weather and oceanographic data format at the following link.

http://www.vos.noaa.gov/ObsHB-508/ObservingHandbook1_2010_508_compliant.pdf

The Frigate Yaroslav Mudry is due to make a port call in Ceuta, Spain on 16th of January.

16 Jan 12 RFS Yaroslav Mudryy 727 Ceuta

From

Port Visits December 11 | SEAWAVES Magazine (http://www.seawaves.com/portvisits.asp)

Frigate Ladny, which was part of the group that visited Syria, has left the Task Force and should be in Sevastopol, Black Sea.

Frigate Ladny Returns from Deployment (http://rusnavy.com/news/navy/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=14028)

GAVRO
16th Jan 2012, 07:29
I understand that some vessels retuns to main base like Frigate Ladny or Mudry?
Admiral Kuznetsov is still in Mediterranean.

ORAC
16th Jan 2012, 12:02
Streetwise Professor: The Hardware Ain’t So Hot Either (http://streetwiseprofessor.com/?p=5949)

The Russian “aircraft carrier”–and crucially, its trusty tugboat–reached Syria, where the flotilla received a warm welcome from the besieged Assad regime. Pavel Felgenhauer’s description (The Russian “aircraft carrier”–and crucially, its trusty tugboat–reached Syria, where the flotilla received a warm welcome from the besieged Assad regime. Pavel Felgenhauer’s description makes it plain that scare quotes I routinely use in reference to the Kuznetsov are more than warranted:)makes it plain that scare quotes I routinely use in reference to the Kuznetsov are more than warranted: The Kuznetsov is a 60,000 ton ship that may carry an air wing of up to 50, including some 26 jets and 24 helicopters. On its present voyage the Kuznetsov’s majestic flight deck is almost empty – only eight Su-33 fighters and two Ka-27S helicopters for search and rescue missions, if any Su-33s are lost (Interfax, November 30). Not only is the present Kuznetsov air wing minuscule, it entirely lacks anti-submarine Ka-27 PLO helicopters and even more importantly – Ka-27RLD (Ka-31) early warning flying radars. Without any long-range radar capability, the Kuznetsov is not a combat ship, but a sitting duck – a large, uncomfortable and rusty tourist ship. The Su-33 fighters are not produced any more, so the Kuznetsov is now carrying the last flight worthy Su-33s and they will soon be mothballed after the carrier returns to port within two weeks.

The Kuznetsov’s main steam turbine engine has been breaking down constantly during the ship’s service, which began in 1992. The Kuznetsov has been a largely immobile and useless ship with three major shipyard repair periods lasting over six years since 1996. The sea salvage tug Nikolai Chiker is shadowing the Kuznetsov during its present tour to tow the hapless carrier back home if the main engine breaks down again. After completing its last voyage the Kuznetsov will be disarmed and go to the Severodvinsk shipyard for a major refitting that is officially planned to last until 2017 or end later – if ever (NVO, April 22, 2011). Su-33 production has been terminated, so the Kuznetsov must be refitted to carry MiG-29K fighter jets being developed for India. The Kuznetsov’s main anti-ship weapon, the supersonic Granit cruise missile, is also out of production and must be replaced. The main engine must be replaced – the carrier will be virtually gutted to the bare hull and rebuilt from scratch. When it ever sails again, al-Assad will be long forgotten history. Meaning that the Kuznetsov’s little tugboat that could, the Nikolai Chiker, is arguably the most important vessel in the Russian fleet.

I doubt that the refit mentioned in the above quotewill go any better than the overhaul of another Russian “carrier”, the Gorshkov. It was sold to the Indians, but the overhaul in a Russian yard went billions (dollars, not rubles rupees) over budget, and years over schedule.

glojo
16th Jan 2012, 12:38
Confirms what I was saying about this carrier and would scrapping this ship be a better option and start with a clean sheet?

I must confess I was not used to using AIS to locate warships as disclosing a position is something they very rarely make public. It was a surprise to locate the Nikolai Chiker but I see she is now 'out of Range' and has been since leaving the area off of the coast of Cyprus at the end of last year.

lonsdale2
16th Jan 2012, 16:49
No longer out of range - she is showing up 30 miles East of Malta.

glojo
16th Jan 2012, 17:10
Thanks Lonsdale,
I'm guessing they switched it off whilst she was operating in the area of Syria? (question)

COCL2
16th Jan 2012, 17:18
There appears to be no public AIS monitors along the Syrian coast. The online maps and plots are only provided by a network a network of fans / spotters and aren't official. Somehow I think conditions in Syria may not be conducive to providng such a service - its rather likely to be misinterpreted by the authorities.

TEEEJ
17th Jan 2012, 17:27
Update on the Russian Navy Task Force.

Ship RAL65 is now nearing home port in the Northern Fleet.

17 January @ 18 GMT Morse transmission to HQ Northern Fleet.

8345 RIT DE RAL65 QSA ? QTC K @1805
RAL65 745 16 17 2203 745 BT FOR RJH45 RJH74 BT
17181 99711 10302 41/98 82211 10000 40230 52010 70222 89/// 22233 00030 20503 17013 BT AR RAL65 K

71.1N 30.2E Heading South East at 11-15 Knots.

71.1N 30.2E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=71.1N+30.2E&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=3636l3636l0l5358l1l1l0l0l0l0l193l193l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

RFS Sergei Osipov is due to visit Malta on the 18th January.

Malta Ship & Action Photos by Capt. Lawrence Dalli (http://www.maltashipphotos.com/standardpage.asp?category=NavalVisits)

Tug Nikolay Chiker is underway and was east of Malta. It was anchored up at 35°47.16' N 14°52.84'E. It appears to be going out of AIS range?

35°47.16'N 14°52.84'E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?pq=%5D35%C2%B047.16'+n&hl=en&cp=9&gs_id=g&xhr=t&q=35%C2%B047.16'N+14%C2%B052.84'E&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&bs=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

Ship RAL46 has not been active in Morse for a couple of days.

Ship RKO81 has been moving towards the Strait of Gibraltar and transmitting weather in Morse. As of 17 January RKO81 was at

36.2N 03.5W and heading South West at 11-15 Knots.

36.2N 03.5W - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&cp=11&gs_id=2&xhr=t&q=36.2N%2003.5W&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=il)

Some video footage from the Mediterranean showing Flanker training off the Kuznetsov.

Link to video (http://www.tvzvezda.ru/news/forces/content/201201170900-exjs.htm)

The girls and guys on QRA will probably be kept busy in the next few weeks? Possibly an exercise involving the return journey of the Naval Task Force?

Strategic aviation will resume patrols of the Russian Air Force in late January

Strategic Aviation Air Force (IAF), the Russian Federation in late January to resume air patrols in areas Atlantic, Arctic and Pacific Oceans, as well as the waters of Black Sea coast, the Russian Defense Ministry spokesman said on Air Force Col. Vladimir Drik.

In early September, the Japanese authorities have expressed concern about the patrols of the airspace in the Pacific Ocean by long-range Tu-95MS bombers the Russian Air Force. Later, Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces, Army General Nikolai Makarov told

reporters that Russia will not abandon the safety of strategic Russian Air Force, "in spite of the notes in some countries." He stressed that the Russian Air Force while always observed and respected international laws governing such flights.

"Since the end of January 2012 long-range aviation crews continue to perform tasks on the air patrolling the Atlantic, Arctic and Pacific oceans, the waters of the Black Sea coast and along the routes along the borders of the Commonwealth of Independent

States, carrying out missions as a baseline, and with operational airfields , "- said Drik.

He added that in 2012 the personnel of the air bases for long-range aircraft will take part in exercise "Kavkaz-2012" and "Peace Mission 2012".

Google translation from a Russian link.

GAVRO
18th Jan 2012, 10:17
Hi TEEEJ,

Where is Tug Nikolay Chiker?
Is it active in morse?
You say it was anchored up at 35°47.16' N 14°52.84'E, and now?

lonsdale2
18th Jan 2012, 19:32
Chiker is currently at 35:50:48N 014:56:47E which is around 20NM East of Malta. She has been there for several days in a racetrack pattern currently 249 at 7kts. All info from AIS.

COCL2
18th Jan 2012, 19:39
GAVRO

AIS is at Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions (http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/)

you just need to plug "chiker" into the ship's name search field

TEEEJ
21st Jan 2012, 02:11
Hi GAVRO,

No Morse noted from Nikolay Chiker. As already posted the location for Chiker is from AIS.

Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions (http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?zoom=9&oldmmsi=273543910&olddate=1/20/2012%209:55:00%20PM)

Three new Russian Navy ships made landfall on Tuesday in Ceuta, Spain.

Ceuta's port reopens its doors to the Russian navy ships Tuesday. After passing through the city in December, three of the six ships that arrived in that time scale and will be repeated in the city a few days to conclude their work supplies...... Yaroslav Mudry, Lena and Sergei Osipov ......

From online translation of

elpueblodeceuta.es (http://www.elpueblodeceuta.es/201201155203.html)

The Ceuta article mentions RFS Sergei Osipov. It appears to be in error as the vessel made a port visit to Malta.

On Saturday 21st January 2012 the Russian Navy Boris Chilikhin Class oiler RFS SERGEI OSIPOV is leaving Malta from Parlatorio Wharf, Palumbo Malta Shipyard Ltd assisted by 2 tugs.

Malta Ship & Action Photos by Capt. Lawrence Dalli (http://www.maltashipphotos.com/standardpage.asp?category=NavalVisits)

Update on the Morse transmissions.

Callsign RIR98 is still transmitting weather from just off Tartus, Syria. It is probably the floating worshop or repair ship?

34.9N 35.8E Heading - Hove to

34.9N 35.8E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&cp=12&gs_id=5&xhr=t&q=34.9N+35.8E&fhp=1&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

Callsign RCJG appeared yesterday and is transmitting weather from just off Sevastopol.

44.6N 33.3E Heading - Hove to

44.6N 33.3E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&cp=12&gs_id=3&xhr=t&q=44.6N+33.3E&fhp=1&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

Russian Navy ship, callsign RKO81, is now heading east after positioning near to the Strait of Gibraltar.

RKO81 positions from Morse weather reports.

18th January 18 GMT.

36.1N 04.6W Heading North East at 11-15 Knots

36.1N 04.6W - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=36.1N+04.6W&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=3869l3869l0l5105l1l1l0l0l0l0l228l228l2-1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

19th January 00 GMT

36.3N 03.2W Heading North East at 11-15 Knots

36.3N 03.2W - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=36.3N%2003.2W)

19th January 06 GMT

36.4N 01.6W Heading North East at 11-15 Knots

36.4N 01.6W - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=36.4N+01.6W&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=3218l5325l0l6934l1l1l0l0l0l0l104l104l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1600&bih=775&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

19th January 12 GMT

36.7N 00.2W Heading North East at 11-15 Knots

36.7N 00.2W - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&cp=12&gs_id=3&xhr=t&q=36.7N+00.2W&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

19th January 18 GMT

36.9N 01.5E

36.9N 01.5E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=36.9N+01.5E&gs_upl=0l0l1l1051l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1600&bih=775&um=1&ie=UTF-)

20th January 06 GMT

37.3N 04.6E Heading North East at 11-15 Knots

37.3N 04.6E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&fhp=1&biw=1095&bih=627&q=37.3N+04.6E&gs_upl=3533l10781l0l12214l1l1l0l0l0l0l169l169l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-)

20th January 12 GMT

37.6N 6.2E

37.6N 6.2E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&fhp=1&q=37.6N+6.2E&gs_upl=2697l5592l0l7485l1l1l0l0l0l0l103l103l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-)

20th January 18 GMT

37.8N 07.7E Heading North East at 6-10 Knots

37.8N 07.7E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=37.8N+07.7E&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=2587l2587l0l4580l1l1l0l0l0l0l249l249l2-1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1600&bih=775&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

21st January 00 GMT

37.9N 08.7E Heading North East at 6-10 Knots

37.9N 08.7E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&cp=12&gs_id=3&xhr=t&q=37.9N+08.7E&fhp=1&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

pr00ne
21st Jan 2012, 10:31
Gawd...................

Isn't there a ship spotters forum somewhere for you lot?

GAVRO
21st Jan 2012, 11:49
Great work again TEEEJ.

I am looking for a HF radio receiver online!

TEEEJ
21st Jan 2012, 12:24
pr00ne

The Task Force is based around the Carrier Kuznetsov, so it is aviation related. If it was just a non-carrier deployment then it wouldn't be so interesting and not relevant to the forum. Some people on the forum seem interested so I continued with the updates. I suppose if it annoys you then simply don't click on a thread that has the title Russian task group!

It should be left to the Mods/Admin if the thread should be moved or is not relevant.

No problem, GAVRO

Ship RCJG is now underway in the Black Sea. Possibly deploying to the Mediterranean and might link up with the Task Force? I'll update if she passes through the Turkish Straits.

21st January 12 GMT

RCJG

43.9N 32.7E Heading South West at 6-10 Knots

43.9N 32.7E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=43.9N+32.7E&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=2006l3656l0l5162l1l1l0l0l0l0l212l212l2-1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

21st January 06 GMT

RKO81

37.8N 09.8E Heading North East at 6-10 Knots

37.8N 09.8E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=37.8N+09.8E&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=2490l3910l0l4832l1l1l0l0l0l0l106l106l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1600&bih=775&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

Courtney Mil
21st Jan 2012, 13:41
I for one am very grateful for the updates, TEEEJ. Your point about it being a carrier is spot on. Pr00ne may have been making a slightly different point, but that's fine too.

Thanks, all, for a good debate, including the running int on where they are and the carrier's capability.

Courtney

GAVRO
21st Jan 2012, 13:55
RCJG could be another russian ship....
TEEEJ you have radio trafic in morse with RCJG, what frequency?

RAL46 has not been active in Morse for a couple of days, you have news?

I search a radio receiver online to listen this comunnication, do you know one, TEEEJ?

lonsdale2
21st Jan 2012, 18:21
Have a look here (http://www.tuapseport.ru/Eng/traffic/ShipDetail.asp?shipId=2578&ShipName=Ivan%20Bubnov) for the identity of RCJG.

TEEEJ
23rd Jan 2012, 22:29
No problem, Courtney. Thanks.

GAVRO,

Sorry for the late reply. If you want a faster response then please feel free to PM me. It will register on my e-mail.

RCJG transmits during the 12 GMT hour on 12464 Khz.

RKO81 transmits during the 00, 06, 12 and 18 GMT hours on 8345 Khz. Sometimes uses 12464 Khz at 12 GMT

RAL46 has just reappeared sending weather. Noted at the same times and frequencies as RKO81. They have been noted to transmit over the top of each other.

Try Global Tuners.

GlobalTuners - On-line remotely controlled tuners (http://www.globaltuners.com/)

lonsdale2,

Superb. Thanks for that! :ok:

A quick update on the Morse transmissions.

23rd January 18 GMT

RKO81

37.5N 11.1E Heading North West at 11-15 Knots

37.5N 11.1E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&biw=1095&bih=627&q=37.5N+11.1E&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=2139l2139l0l3511l1l1l0l0l0l0l150l150l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

23rd January 18 GMT

RAL46

36.5N 13.9E Heading North West at 11-15 Knots

36.5N 13.9E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=36.5N+13.9E&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=0l0l1l250l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

23rd January 12 GMT

RCJG

40.8N 28.1E Heading South West at 6-10 Knots

40.8N 28.1E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=40.8N+28.1E&gs_upl=3496l5591l0l6757l1l1l0l0l0l0l115l115l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-)

Jayand
24th Jan 2012, 19:10
Can't you just collect stamps?

TEEEJ
24th Jan 2012, 21:37
Jayand wrote

Can't you just collect stamps?

http://www.yalealumnimagazine.com/issues/2007_09/images/popup/stamps/17morse.gif

TEEEJ
24th Jan 2012, 21:40
The Task Force has now completed the Mediterranean deployment and is heading home.

GAVRO, RAL46 is now transmitting every 3 hours since 15 GMT, 24 January.

24th January 21 GMT, 8345 Khz

RAL46

38.1N 08.7E Heading West at 6-10 knots

38.1N 08.7E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&biw=1095&bih=627&q=38.1N+08.7E&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=2103l2103l0l3691l1l1l0l0l0l0l157l157l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

24th January 18 GMT, 8345 Khz

RKO81

37.4N 04.9E Heading North West at 11-15 Knots

37.4N 04.9E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=37.4N+04.9E&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=1939l1939l0l4313l1l1l0l0l0l0l181l181l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

Tanker Ivan Bubnov, RCJG, has passed through the Bosphorus and was in the Aegean at 12 GMT, 24 January.

RCJG 12 GMT, 12464 Khz

38.4N 24.9E

38.4N 24.9E - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=38.4N+24.9E&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=3721l5217l0l6660l1l1l0l0l0l0l201l201l2-1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1600&bih=775&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl)

Russian Navy conducted a large-scale live-fire exercises in the Mediterranean

MOSCOW, January 24 - RIA Novosti. Russian warships mezhflotskoy groups conducted in the Mediterranean live-fire exercises, told reporters on Tuesday Head of Press Service of the Northern Fleet (SF) Russian

captain Vadim Serga the first rank.

Hike the Russian group began on 6 December 2011. It consists of a heavy aircraft-carrying cruiser SF "Admiral Kuznetsov", a large anti-ship SF "Admiral Chabanenko", and the Baltic Fleet frigate "Yaroslav the Wise."

During the campaign of ships and vessels were more than 8300 miles.

"Ships of the group spent teaching in the central Mediterranean. Russian sailors trained in repelling an attack air targets with conventional performance practice firing anti-aircraft missile and artillery systems, warships of the

three "- said the spokesman.

According to him, continued to train pilots and deck with the "Admiral Kuznetsov". In the last day they met ten flights on the heavy Su-33, were worked out in which the elements of air combat training and interception.

Helicopter carrier ship of two days made 24 missions of antisubmarine helicopters Ka-27 from the decks of warships CAG.

From Google translation of Russian link.

Russian naval group wraps up Med drill

A Russian naval group, led by the Admiral Kuznetsov heavy aircraft carrier has completed an exercise in the central Mediterranean to practice anti-aircraft missile and artillery drill and antisubmarine warfare.

The task force consisting also of the Baltic Fleet corvette Yaroslav Mudry and the Black Sea patrol boat Ladnyput to sea on December 6, 2011.

From

Russian naval group wraps up Med drill: Voice of Russia (http://english.ruvr.ru/2012/01/24/64497046.html)

GAVRO
25th Jan 2012, 07:56
ok, i will tray GlobalTuners - On-line remotely controlled tuners, maybe i will find a babd with 8345 or 12464.

Thanks for that!

TEEEJ
26th Jan 2012, 22:48
No problem, GAVRO. Hope you had some luck with the transmissions!

Position update

26th January, 18 GMT

8345 Khz

RKO81

RKO81 26181 99355 70037 22200

35.5N 03.7W Anchored / Hove to

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=35.5N+03.7W&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=2819l2819l0l4491l1l1l0l0l0l0l128l128l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-/)

26th January, 15 GMT

Ivan Bubnov (RCJG)

12464 Khz

RCV DE RCJG 26151 99363 10176 22262

36.3N 17.6E Heading West at 6-10 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=36.3N+17.6E&gs_upl=105041l105041l0l106406l1l1l0l0l0l0l135l135l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1600&bih=775&um=1&ie=UTF-/)

26th January, 12 GMT

12464 Khz

RAL46

RCV DE RAL46 26121 99367 70006 22253

36.7N 00.6W Heading South West at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=36.7N+00.6W&gs_upl=3063l3063l0l4141l1l1l0l0l0l0l113l113l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-/)

26th January, 18 GMT

5129 Khz

RIR98 (Probably the floating repair ship/platform that has been at Tartus, Syria? Possibly returning to the Black Sea?)

RIR98 99355 10278 22252

35.5N 27.8E Heading South West at 6-10 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=35.5N+27.8E&gs_upl=14413l14413l0l15705l1l1l0l0l0l0l133l133l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-/)

26th January - 12 GMT

12464 Khz

RAL65 (Probably a Tanker/Auxiliary deployed to meet up with the Task Force when it eventually leaves the Mediterranean?)

RAL65 99704 10167 22252

70.4N 16.7E Heading South West at 6-10 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&gs_upl=2695l5051l0l6220l4l4l0l0l0l0l130l479l0.4l4l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&q=70.4N+16.7E&um=1&ie=UTF-/)

GAVRO
27th Jan 2012, 18:21
Russian task group is going home!

TEEEJ
27th Jan 2012, 18:30
RAL46 has transited through into the Atlantic.

27 January, 18 GMT

12464 RCV DE RAL46 27181 99362 70078 22273

36.2N 07.8W Heading North West at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&gs_upl=2832l2832l0l5406l1l1l0l0l0l0l97l97l1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&q=36.2N+07.8W&um=1&ie=UTF-/)

27 January, 18 GMT

Ivan Bubnov

8345 RCV DE RCJG 27181 99370 10122 22262

37.0N 12.2E Heading West at 6-10 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&cp=11&gs_id=3&xhr=t&q=37.0N+12.2E&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-/)

27 January, 18 GMT

5129 RIR98 99374 10262 22200

37.4N 26.2E Hove to

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=37.4N+26.2E&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=3037l3037l0l5259l1l1l0l0l0l0l100l100l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1600&bih=775&um=1&ie=UTF-/)

27 January, 18 GMT

RKO81 Hove to

8345 RKO81 27181 99355 70037

35.5N 03.7W

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=35.5N+03.7W&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=2100l2100l0l3326l1l1l0l0l0l0l97l97l1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-/)

27 January, 18 GMT

8345 RAL65 99699 10168 22200

69.9N 16.8E Hove to

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=69.9N+16.8E&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=2614l2614l0l3977l1l1l0l0l0l0l122l122l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1095&bih=627&um=1&ie=UTF-/)

TEEEJ
28th Jan 2012, 22:12
28th January, 18 GMT

8345 RCV DE RAL46 28181 99393 70110 22273

39.3N 11.0W Heading North West at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=39.3N+11.0W&hl=en&t=m&z=7/)

28th January, 18 GMT

Ivan Bubnov

8345 RCV DE RCJG 28181 99378 10074 22262

37.8N 07.4E Heading West at 6-10 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=37.8N+07.4E&hl=en&t=m&z=7/)

28th January, 18 GMT

8345 RMP DE RKO81 28181 99356 70035 22253

35.6N 03.5W Heading South West at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=35.6N+03.5W&hl=en&t=m&z=7/)

28th January, 18 GMT

5129 RIR98 28181 99381 10255 22282

38.1N 25.5E Heading North at 6-10 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=38.1N+25.5E&hl=en&t=m&z=6/)

PFMG
30th Jan 2012, 19:44
TEEEJ,

For all the sad muppets like me can we have another thrilling installment.

It makes up for not getting the latest gen from the barber in Forres High St or the barmaid in the Carisbrooke.

TEEEJ
30th Jan 2012, 23:53
PFMG,
Just for you :)

Tug Nikolay Chiker and Tanker Lena are now on the move.

31 January, 00 GMT

RKO81 = Lena

RKO81 99360 70038 22273

36.0N 03.8W Heading North West at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=36.0N+03.8W&hl=en&t=m&z=7/)

Nikolay Chiker AIS Link (http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?mmsi=273543910&centerx=-3.847523&centery=36.1425&zoom=10&type_color=3/)

TEEEJ
31st Jan 2012, 00:05
31 January, 00 GMT

RAL46 = Probably the Auxiliary Vyazma ?

RAL46 99488 70087 22213

48.8N 08.7W Heading North East at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=48.8N+08.7W&hl=en&t=m&z=6/)

30th January, 18 GMT

RAL65 = Probably the Auxiliary Kama ?

RAL65 99632 10047 22252

63.2N 04.7E Heading South West at 6-10 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=63.2N+04.7E&hl=en&t=m&z=5/)

TEEEJ
31st Jan 2012, 00:11
The Frigate Yaroslav Mudry and the Tanker Sergei Osipov have been in port at Ceuta, Spain. It certainly narrowed down the identities of the ships that have been sending the Morse weather reports.

From Google Translation

Ceuta, Jan 27 (EFE) .- Two other ships of the Russian Navy, the supply ship "Sergey Osipov" and submarine hunting "Yaroslav Mudry, has chosen the port of Ceuta for a stopover in the city until Sunday .
As reported by the Port Authority, has now come to the port "Sergey Osipov" to perform work of supplying fuel and water,

This ship has a staff of about 90 crew, who were already in December and will again in a few days while completing Ceuta provisioning tasks.

Tomorrow is expected the arrival of submarine hunting "Yaroslav Mudry" which has a staff of 250 crew and supplies will also carry out operations.

In the middle of last month's visit there was support and supply ship "Lena" to stock of 2,225 tons of diesel and 450 tons of drinking water and about 1,600 kilos of food.

During 2011, arrived at Port of Ceuta 11 other Russian navy ships. EFE

Otros 2 buques de la Armada rusa hacen escala en el puerto de Ceuta - ABC.es - Noticias Agencias (http://www.abc.es/agencias/noticia.asp?noticia=1084052)

TEEEJ
31st Jan 2012, 18:46
An update on the Morse Code data.

31 January, 18 GMT

8345 RKO81 31181 99362 70076 22273

36.2N 07.6W Heading North West at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=36.2N+07.6W&hl=en&t=m&z=2/)

31 January, 18 GMT

Ivan Bubnov

8345 RCJG 31181 99355 70037 22200

35.5N 03.7W Hove to

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=35.5N+03.7W&hl=en&t=m&z=7/)

31 January, 12 GMT

12464 RAL65 31121 99605 10033 22232

60.5N 03.3E Heading South East at 6-10 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=60.5N+03.3E&hl=en&t=m&z=5/)

31 January 06 GMT - Nikolay Chiker AIS

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/NIKOLAY-CHIKER-800X.jpg

TEEEJ
31st Jan 2012, 22:19
31 January, 22 GMT. Nikolay Chiker from AIS

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/NIKOLAYCHIKER2200.jpg

Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions (http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?mmsi=273543910&centerx=-8.53944&centery=36.60581&zoom=10&type_color=3)

salad-dodger
31st Jan 2012, 22:30
that's quite a ship judging by the route it took through the Straits :eek:

S-D

500N
31st Jan 2012, 22:34
deleted by poster.

Milo Minderbinder
31st Jan 2012, 22:59
Krueger
it would seem likely that where the Chiker goes, the carrier and its aircraft can't be far away.
He's noting the progress of a potentially hostile naval aviation force.
Are you not interested in where the Russians may be trying to show their naval aviation strength?

PFMG
1st Feb 2012, 09:40
The carrier group must be within spitting distance of the UK now. Wonder if our fleet of MPA aircraft are following it to gain useful intelligence.

Oh wait a minute...I've just remembered :ugh:

glojo
1st Feb 2012, 11:32
I must confess I was overly unimpressed when I saw the amount of flying that took place from that carrier whilst she has been deployed, but shame on us for not having a maritime air force but thank goodness we have a silent service that can still perform multiple roles.

Don't forget this carrier is about to go into extended refit where I believe boilers, engines and flight deck are being replaced, plus it is alleged she will be converted to a conventional aircraft carrier although who will train those crews is anybody's guess.

I am still curious as to what might have been aboard that carrier when she paid a formal visit to Syria and what might have been left there? :sad:

GAVRO
1st Feb 2012, 12:15
WHERE IS NOW THE RUSSIA AIRCRAFTCARRIER?
It passed GIBRALTAR?

TEEEJ
1st Feb 2012, 14:23
I would presume so, GAVRO! The Tanker Ivan Bubnov (RCJG) is now heading east in the Mediterranean.

See update

1 February - Morse Weather for 12 GMT

New Ship off Portugal

8345 RMP DE RHY47 01121 99391 70098 22284 @1337

39.1N 09.8W Heading North at 16-20 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=39.1N+09.8W&hl=en&t=m&z=2/)

1 February, 12 GMT

Lena

12464 RMP DE RKO81 01121 99381 70102 22273

38.1N 10.2W Heading North West at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=38.1N+10.2W&hl=en&sqi=2&t=m&z=2/)

Ivan Bubnov

13971 RCV DE RCJG 01121 99357 70025 22223

35.7N 02.5W Heading East at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=35.7N+02.5W&hl=en&t=m&z=7/)

Kama ?

8345 RMP DE RAL65 01121 99568 10038 22242

56.8N 03.8E Heading South at 6-10 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=56.8N+03.8E&hl=en&t=m&z=5/)

31 January 18 GMT

Vyazma ?

8345 RAL46 31181 99496 70039

49.6N 03.9W Heading East

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=49.6N+03.9W&hl=en&t=m&z=5/)

TEEEJ
1st Feb 2012, 14:36
Some nice Su-33 and Kuznetsov footage at the following link. Footage from a camera on the underside of an Su-33.

Video Link - Russian website (http://www.tvzvezda.ru/news/forces/content/201202010935-pkk8.htm)

Google Translation.

The Russian squadron led by the aircraft carrying cruiser "Admiral Kuznetsov" leaves the Mediterranean Sea

The Russian squadron led by heavy aircraft carrying cruiser "Admiral Kuznetsov" leaves the Mediterranean Sea, to go back to Murmansk. During the long voyage the ship's crew conducted dozens of different exercises, and the crews of carrier-based aircraft have flown more than 120 hours. daybreak the next day driving trip to meet the ship at the exit of the Strait of Gibraltar. Since the end of December 2011 the Northern Fleet sailors were carrying on combat duty in the Mediterranean. During this time, in areas of central and eastern Mediterranean, our sailors were covered several thousand miles. Every day aboard aircraft carrier group training exercises of various military units.

The gunners and soldiers survivability division, Marines and special operations units, and of course, the two wings of our squadron aircraft - fighter pilots and helicopter pilots. During the long period of Mediterranean campaign fliers of two squadrons of the Northern Fleet had almost a dozen changes of flight, with a common touch about 120 hours. It was done over a hundred landings on the deck, held on 20 training air combat and interception purposes.

Among the pilots were both very young officers, the first landing on the deck of an aircraft carrier in a long march, and the pilots, planted dozens of times on the Su-33 " Admiral Kuznetsov ", and one of them, Pavel Ivanovich Pryadko in this entry into the Mediterranean Sea was the anniversary, one hundredth landing on aircraft carrier. Out in the Atlantic Ocean means for the crew of the Russian squadron awaited the approach to their native shores. But before his return to the raid in Murmansk, ships and aircraft of the Northern Fleet is still a few maneuvers in the Atlantic Ocean.

TEEEJ
1st Feb 2012, 16:28
Nikolay Chiker - 1st February - AIS Snapshot during 16 GMT

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/1FEB16GREENWICHMEANTIMENIKOLAYCHIKER.jpg

TEEEJ
2nd Feb 2012, 12:12
2 February, 12 GMT

Lena

12464 RMP DE RKO81 02121 99423 70118 22283

42.3N 11.8W Heading North at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=42.3N+11.8W&hl=en&safe=off&t=m&z=7/)

Vyazma ?

8345 RAL46 02121 99534 10038 22283

53.4N 03.8E Heading North at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=53.4N+03.8E&hl=en&safe=off&t=m&z=7/)

Kama ?

8345 RMP DE RAL65 02121 99529 10033 22252

52.9N 03.3E Heading South West at 6-10 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=52.9N+03.3E&hl=en&safe=off&t=m&z=11/)

Ivan Bubnov

12464 RCV DE RCJG 02121 99370 10026 22222

37.0N 02.6E Heading East at 6-10 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=37.0N+02.6E&hl=en&safe=off&t=m&z=10/)

The Kuznetsov video has now been posted on You Tube.

csrSyEuB_us

Confirmation that call sign RIR98 in previous posts was the Black Sea Fleet PM-56 Floating Workshop.

BSF Floating Workshop PM-56 Returned to Sevastopol

Black Sea Fleet (BSF) floating workshop PM-56 commanded by Capt Igor Bakuradze on Jan 31 returned to Sevastopol from a 6-month deployment in the Mediterranean Sea, BSF press service told Central

Navy Portal. Being deployed in the Mediterranean, the vessel maintained activities of Russian Navy's task force. To provide security during the cruise, PM-56 had an anti-terror group and boarding party consisting of BSF marines. A solemn meeting ceremony took place in Sevastopol; the crew was handed traditional bread-and-salt and a piglet roast. BSF seagoing tanker Ivan Bubnov continues to maintain Russian Navy's carrier group in the Mediterranean Sea. Floating workshop PM-56 was built in Szczecin, Poland in 1973.

BSF Floating Workshop PM-56 Returned to Sevastopol (http://rusnavy.com/news/navy/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=14190)

TEEEJ
3rd Feb 2012, 11:57
Update on Morse Code weather info.

3 February, 12 GMT

Vyazma ?

8345 RMP DE RAL46 03121 99571 10002 22273

57.1N 00.2E Heading North West at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=57.1N+00.2E&hl=en&t=m&z=6/)

Kama ?

8345 RMP DE RAL65 03121 99501 70021 22253

50.1N 02.1W Heading South West at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=50.1N+02.1W&hl=en&t=m&z=11/)

Lena

12464 RMP DE RKO81 03121 99467 70098 22283

46.7N 09.8W Heading North at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=46.7N+09.8W&hl=en&t=m&z=2/)

Ivan Bubnov

12464 RCV DE RCJG 03121 99377 10071 22222

37.7N 07.1E Heading East at 6-10 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=37.7N+07.1E&hl=en&t=m&z=8/)

Nikolay Chiker was active on AIS last night. See following.

Daily Vessel's Itineraries - AIS Marine Traffic (http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/datasheet.aspx?datasource=ITINERARIES&MMSI=273543910)

Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions (http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?zoom=9&oldmmsi=273543910&olddate=2/2/2012%208:47:00%20PM)

TEEEJ
4th Feb 2012, 12:16
4 February, 12 GMT

Lena

12464 RMP DE RKO81 04121 99507 70088 22200

50.7N 08.8W Hove to

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=50.7N+08.8W&hl=en&t=m&z=5/)

Vyazma

12464 RMP DE RAL46 04121 99580 70023 22200

58.0N 02.3W Hove to

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=58.0N+02.3W&hl=en&t=m&z=8/)

Kama

12464 RIT DE RAL65 04121 99499 70075 22272

49.9N 07.5W Heading North West at 6-10 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=49.9N+07.5W&hl=en&t=m&z=6/)

4 February, 06 GMT

Ivan Bubnov

8139 RCV DE RCJG 04061 99376 10096 22232

37.6N 09.6E Heading South East at 6-10 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=37.6N+09.6E&hl=en&t=m&z=9/)

TEEEJ
5th Feb 2012, 13:39
5 February, 12 GMT

Lena

8345 RMP DE RKO81 05121 99509 70088 22272

50.9N 08.8W Heading North West at 6-10 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=50.9N+08.8W&hl=en&t=m&z=5/)

Vyazma

5 February, 12 GMT

12464 RAL46 05121 99580 70023 22200

58.0N 02.3W Hove to

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=58.0N+02.3W&hl=en&t=m&z=8/)

Nikolay Chiker, 5 February, 14 GMT from AIS

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/CHIKER-ATLANTIC-5-FEB-2012.jpg

TEEEJ
6th Feb 2012, 11:51
6 February, 12 GMT

Lena

8345 RIT DE RKO81 06121 99495 70064 22233

49.5N 06.4W Heading South East at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=49.5N+06.4W&hl=en&t=m&z=6/)

6 February, 06 GMT

Kama

8345 RAL65 06061 99534 70113 22283

53.4N 11.3W Heading North at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=53.4N+11.3W&hl=en&t=m&z=7/)

6 February, 12 GMT

Vyazma

12464 RAL46 06121 99601 10014

60.1N 01.4E

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=60.1N+01.4E&hl=en&t=m&z=5/)

6 February, 12 GMT

Ivan Bubnov

12464 RCV DE RCJG 06121 99363 10197 22221

36.3N 19.7E Heading East at 1-5 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=36.3N+19.7E&hl=en&t=m&z=4/)

TEEEJ
6th Feb 2012, 12:24
Update on Kama

6 February, 12 GMT

Kama

8345 RIT DE RAL65 06121 99546 70111 22213

54.6N 11.1W Heading North East at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=54.6N+11.1W&hl=en&t=m&z=7/)

TEEEJ
6th Feb 2012, 20:25
Lena has now left the main Task Force and entered the English Channel.

6 February, 18 GMT

Lena

8345 RMP DE RKO81 06181 99496 70044 22213

49.6N 04.4W Heading North East at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=49.6N+04.4W&hl=en&t=m&z=5/)

Kama

8345 RIW DE RAL65 06181 99557 70107 22213

55.7N 10.7W Heading North East at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=55.7N+10.7W&hl=en&sqi=2&t=m&z=3/)

Vyazma

8345 RIT DE RAL46 06181 99609 10034 22212

60.9N 03.4E Heading North East at 6-10 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=60.9N+03.4E&hl=en&t=m&z=4/)

TEEEJ
7th Feb 2012, 12:00
7 February, 12 GMT

Lena

8345 RMP DE RKO81 07121 99504 10007 22212

50.4N 0.07E Heading North East at 6-10 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=50.4N+0.07E&hl=en&sqi=2&t=m&z=6/)

Kama

12464 RIT DERAL65 99588 70081 22213

58.8N 08.1W Heading North East at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=58.8N+08.1W&hl=en&sqi=2&t=m&z=6/)

Vyazma

8345 RIT DE RAL46 07121 99644 10056 22283

64.4N 05.6E Heading North at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=64.4N+05.6E&hl=en&t=m&z=3/)

Ivan Bubnov

12464 RCV DE RCJG 07121 99364 10229 22222

36.4N 22.9E Heading East at 6-10 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=36.4N+22.9E&hl=en&t=m&z=11/)

TEEEJ
7th Feb 2012, 12:17
Nikolay Chiker currently active on AIS off the North of Scotland.

12 GMT

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/7thFebChiker12Z.jpg

Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions (http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?mmsi=273543910&centerx=-6.205773&centery=59.4101&zoom=10&type_color=3)

Daily Vessel's Itineraries - AIS Marine Traffic (http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/datasheet.aspx?datasource=ITINERARIES&MMSI=273543910)

TEEEJ
7th Feb 2012, 17:53
7 February, 18 GMT

Lena

8345 RMP DE RKO81 07181 99516 10018 22213

51.6N 01.8E Heading North East at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51.6N+01.8E&hl=en&t=m&z=4/)

Kama

8345 RMP DE RAL65 07181 99596 70063 22213

59.6N 06.3W Heading North East at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=59.6N+06.3W&hl=en&t=m&z=5/)

Vyazma

8345 RAL46 07181 99655 10067 22213

65.5N 06.7E Heading North East at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=65.5N+06.7E&hl=en&t=m&z=3/)

Ivan Bubnov

8345 RCV DE RCJG 07181 99361 10251 22222

36.1N 25.1E Heading East at 6-10 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=36.1N+25.1E&hl=en&sqi=2&t=m&z=5/)

glad rag
7th Feb 2012, 18:01
Must have been a **** sailing past all those lights and not getting a run ashore...:E

TEEEJ
7th Feb 2012, 21:27
British warship escorts Russian aircraft carrier passed UK waters

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02130/hms-liverpool_2130908b.jpg

7:42AM GMT 07 Feb 2012
The destroyer sailed alongside the 50,000-tonne Russian aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov as it made its way north. The Portsmouth-based Type 42 warship was acting as fleet escort as it followed a carrier-led Russian task group from the Channel off south-west England to the seas off south-west Ireland.

The task group of two warships and five support ships were making their way home to the northern and Baltic fleets of the Russian navy. The images were released by the Royal Navy.

HMS Liverpool's commanding officer, Commander Colin Williams, said: ''As an island nation, it is essential for the UK to maintain a military presence in our waters.

From

British warship escorts Russian aircraft carrier passed UK waters - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/9065657/British-warship-escorts-Russian-aircraft-carrier-passed-UK-waters.html)

TEEEJ
7th Feb 2012, 21:40
Image gallery at following link

HMS Liverpool Shadows Russian Carrier | Royal Navy (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/News-and-Events/Latest-News/2012/February/07/120207-Liverpool-Shadows-Russian-Carrier)

TEEEJ
8th Feb 2012, 10:08
Looks like they are heading for the Moray Firth, again! Scramble the Fleet Ready Escort!

8 February, 09 GMT

Kama

12464 RIT DE RAL65 08091 99594 70022 22232

59.4N 02.2W Heading South East at 6-10 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=59.4N+02.2W&hl=en&sqi=2&t=m&z=10/)

Nikolay Chiker as of 09 GMT

Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions (http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?zoom=9&oldmmsi=273543910&olddate=2/8/2012%208:30:00%20AM)

Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions (http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?zoom=9&oldmmsi=273543910&olddate=2/8/2012%208:30:00%20AM)

TEEEJ
8th Feb 2012, 11:55
8 February, 12 GMT

Lena

8345 RMP DE RKO81 08121 99535 10038 22213

53.5N 03.8E Heading North East at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=53.5N+03.8E&hl=en&t=m&z=7/)

8 February, 12 GMT

Vyazma

8345 RIT DE RAL46 08121 99688 10120 22213

68.8N 12.0E Heading North East at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=68.8N+12.0E&hl=en&sqi=2&t=m&z=3/)

TEEEJ
8th Feb 2012, 19:35
A quick update on the positions.

8 February, 18 GMT

Lena - Probably returning to the Baltic?

8345 RKO81 08181 99542 10051

54.2N 05.1E

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=54.2N+05.1E&hl=en&t=m&z=5/)

8 February, 18 GMT

Kama

8345 RAL65 08181 99588 70020

58.8N 02.0W

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=58.8N+02.0W&hl=en&sqi=2&t=m&z=8/)

8 February, 18 GMT

Vyazma

8345 RIT DE RAL46 08181 99696 10147 22213

69.6N 14.7E Heading North East at 11-15 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=69.6N+14.7E&hl=en&t=m&z=3/)

8 February, 12 GMT

Ivan Bubnov - Possibly heading for Syria?

12464 RCV DE RCJG 08121 99355 10283 22222

35.5N 28.3E Heading East at 6-10 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=35.5N+28.3E&hl=en&sqi=2&t=m&z=8/)

TEEEJ
9th Feb 2012, 18:51
The Russian Carrier Task Force has been sighted in the Moray Firth this morning (9th Feb). The Royal Navy Fleet Ready Escort has been sighted shadowing the vessels.

Conditions on HF have been very poor with no Morse readable from RAL65 (Kama) that is currently with the Task Force off Scotland.

Tanker Lena, previously with the Task Force, is returning to the Baltic and Tanker Ivan Bubnov is still heading east in the Mediterranean with a likely destination of Tartus, Syria.
Ivan Bubnov deployed from the Black Sea to refuel the Task Force in the western Mediterranean.

9 February, 12 GMT

Lena

8345 RMP DE RKO81 09121 99565 10074 22212

56.5N 07.4E Heading North East at 11-15 Knots

Map Link ( http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=56.5N+07.4E&hl=en&t=m&z=5/)

9 February, 00 GMT

Ivan Bubnov

5129 RCV DE RCJG 09001 99349 10307 22222

34.9N 30.7E Heading East at 6-10 Knots

Map Link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=34.9N+30.7E&hl=en&sqi=2&t=m&z=7/)

Bubblewindow
10th Feb 2012, 06:50
Pity I didn't get a "positive ident" on them yesterday TEEJ, :O

BW ;)

TEEEJ
10th Feb 2012, 09:36
No problem, BW. Thanks! ;)

TEEEJ
10th Feb 2012, 19:41
Nikolay Chiker is east of the Shetland Islands as of 20 GMT, 10 Feb.

Edit - Now on the Vessel's Itineraries.

Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions (http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?mmsi=273543910&centerx=0.08765333&centery=60.15714&zoom=10&type_color=3)

Milo Minderbinder
10th Feb 2012, 20:08
Chiker went "out of range" around four minutes ago
I didn't think they were allowed to play games like that?

TEEEJ
13th Feb 2012, 08:18
Nikolay Chiker is active on AIS, 13 Feb 09 GMT.

Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions (http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?mmsi=273543910&centerx=18.14211&centery=70.74368&zoom=10&type_color=3)

According to Russian media the carrier Admiral Kuznetsov is due to end the deployment and return to the Northern Fleet by the 17th February.

Frigate Yaroslav Mudry has left the main task group and is in transit back to the Baltic Fleet. From the Morse Code weather transmissions Tanker Lena is currently in the Baltic, Tanker Vyazma has returned to the Northern Fleet and Black Sea Fleet Tanker Ivan Bubnov is anchored off Tartus, Syria.

Russian Carrier Group Heads for Barents Sea (http://rusnavy.com/news/newsofday/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=14283)

Northern Fleet (NF) warships – aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov and large ASW ship Admiral Chabanenko – are pursuing a northern course to continue cruise through the North Atlantic towards home base. Prior to that, the ships have replenished supplies from auxiliary vessels in the Moray Firth.

Underway through the Atlantic, crews of the Russian Navy's carrier group will continue improving naval skills in severe conditions of cyclonically active northern latitudes. In favorable weather conditions, aircrews plan to proceed with training flights of deck-based fighters Su-33 and helicopters Ka-27.

Through the deployment started on Dec 6, 2011, pilots of the carrier group have performed about 350 sorties and acquired wide flight experience in different climatic zones and latitudes. Helicopter pilots have carried out 84 flights (out of over 200 sorties) in the night time.

As for now, aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov has covered over 12,000 nautical miles. The carrier group is expected to call at NF main base Severomorsk by the end of the next week, said NF Press Secretary Capt 1 rank Vadim Serga.

Milo Minderbinder
13th Feb 2012, 16:47
Chikers offline again
But curiouly where she was, has appeared the RN ARKHANGELSK - a Cypriot flagged ice-breaking Russian chemical tanker - which also appeared east of Cyprus when the Chiker went "offline" from AIS there
Coincidence?

GAVRO
21st Feb 2012, 10:49
Aircraft-carrying cruiser Admiral Kuznetsov has arrived in Northern Fleet (NF) main base Severomorsk and anchored off the harbor. The flagship of Russian Navy has finished the long-range cruise to the Mediterranean Sea started on Dec 6, 2011. Admiral Kuznetsov returned to the homebase one day ahead of the scheduled date.

Russian Navy's Flagship Returns from Deployment (http://rusnavy.com/news/newsofday/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=14352)