PDA

View Full Version : Cathay interviews perth(SO transition training)

zendo
13th Dec 2011, 01:15
Hi all anyone recently attended cathay pacific's S/O initial interview?

Any info would be great.

Deano777
13th Dec 2011, 01:26
You're better off posting this in the "Fragrant Harbour" forums. They are found just below this one.

Captain Dart
13th Dec 2011, 01:37
...and have a very good read of the 'Wannabes' forum while you are there. Filter out the B.S., work out who the old hands are who are 'telling it like it is' and while you are at it, check out Hong Kong property rents. I am not going to repeat it all here but your main worries will be:

Bonded to the company by a 'forgiveable loan'
A useless P2X rating until you upgrade to Junior First Officer (years away)
15 to 20 years to Command, on degraded conditions which undercut current crew
Due to Company tax stuffups etc no new basings slots for the foreseeable future, and hundreds of senior crew in the line ahead of you anyway
Where are you going to live in Hong Kong for the meagre housing allowance they will give you?
And a few more issues which will become self-evident.
May the force be with you!

gobbledock
13th Dec 2011, 01:42
Have fun.

http://www.cathaypilotsunion.org/inthenews/SCMP12Oct08A.pdf

airdualbleedfault
13th Dec 2011, 11:02
Dart only left out one thing : are you a smoker ? If not you soon will be, and the best part is, it's free :ok:
Currently 4 1/2 years to JFO
Living in the 3rd most expensive city in the world on 6k Aussie a month ( minus 16% )
You'll need more than the force ;)

notaplanegeek
13th Dec 2011, 20:00
If I can suggest talking to someone who actually works for CX or is in recruitment. Much of the information passed on in the fragrant harbour forum or this thread is not a true reflection on actual conditions.

nitpicker330
13th Dec 2011, 22:26
Really mate? I work for CX and I can tell you that what the posts above say is 100% true

404 Titan
14th Dec 2011, 01:36
notaplanegeek

I also work for CX. Would you like to enlighten us as to what isn’t a “true reflection on actual conditions” in the above posts.:ugh::yuk:

Team America
14th Dec 2011, 13:20
I too would like to see what you have to say as I have never heard anyone dispute the crap that CX is now paying (or not paying) new joiners.

Turbine Overheat
14th Dec 2011, 18:55
Possibilities
1. Management stooge trying to fix the woeful recruiting
Or
2. Absolutely no idea.

The facts are there to be read on these forums. If you take cadet package you can't say you were not warned.

notaplanegeek
14th Dec 2011, 20:42
Ask Richard Hall how long an upgrade time is, it is a little different than the idea you guys have at the moment.

notaplanegeek
14th Dec 2011, 21:15
Flight Dailies (http://cde.cerosmedia.com/China_Careers_Guide/1D4edde3e757106012.cde)

Page 4, 3rd video clip down. Yep surprised myself, in fact I couldn't believe it.

Team America
14th Dec 2011, 22:29
I don't know if you have watched your own video post but Dick says upgrade time is currently 4 years, no different to what has been posted here.

If you read the propaganda it mentions pilots being able to take bases, go and ask the CX guys how easy it is to take a base in Oz, then ask them when their command is coming up on the base......never.

Go and ask some of the new second officers what sort of place their housing allowance is getting them in HK.

It used to be good, not now.

notaplanegeek
14th Dec 2011, 23:34
I share your frustration. I know mate, such terrible work living/ conditions, pay, planes, career progression, roster, such an awful package. Why would anyone want this? You have got to be crazy.

Captain Dart
15th Dec 2011, 00:17
You must be aware that the gentleman on the video was a member of the 'Star Chamber' that selected over fifty Cathay Pacific pilots for termination 'for no particular reason' in an attempt to intimidate the rest of the flight crew.

This has tainted management-pilot relations for over a decade, and is still the subject of ongoing legal action. A cowardly act of pilot against pilot.

There is also rumor of senior management displeasure over his handling of crewing and the based crew 'double taxation' debacle.

Captain Dart
15th Dec 2011, 00:27
Erm...no :hmm:. The poster was making an attempt at levity by comparing breathing of Hong Kong's polluted air to cigarette smoking.

hongkongfooey
16th Dec 2011, 10:05
An attempt at levity, bit harsh on old ADB Cap'n Dart .
Ok, I guess it wasn't that funny as it actually kills people ( the pollution ) and makes 10s of 1000s of people ill.
At the moment 4 years to get the notification of upgrade and your first JFO pay at around 4 1/2 years.
The double tax on basing issue would almost be unbelievable if it was anywhere else in the world but HK, SNAFU.