PDA

View Full Version : EASA Part 145: the contracted AMO

Bus429
12th Dec 2011, 17:24
OK, another Devil's Advocate question with regard to a contracted AMO and issuing one-authorisations to third parties (individuals): what constitutes an "operator's contracted AMO"?
Is it the AMO contracted to provide the bulk of an operator's line and base needs? Or, is the operator - that quickly gets in touch with an AMO asking them to provide a one-off to an individual on hand to fix their aircraft in a remote location - entering into a contract if a PO or email instruction ensues?
I'm going with an AMO contracted to provide the bulk, etc...
I'd like other opinions.

Rigga
12th Dec 2011, 19:42
Bus,

The part 145 organisation contracted to maintain the aircraft at specified locations approves all the maintenance carried out on it's behalf. The QAM is responsible for issueing One-Off Authorisations - which (I believe) should be reported to the NAA when used.

A One-Off is supposed to be used where there is NO contracted support, although there is often an unwritten 'arrangement' to call a local organisation for this situation if an irregular/ad-hoc service is scheduled.

A One-Off should be used only when no 'contract' exists and a local company that operates "similar" types (e.g. a Twin-Jet aircraft) may be approached to aid diagnostics or remedial actions.

That situation leads to a round of faxes/e-mails/calls to establish the complexity of the task, the detail of the remedial actions required and the capability of any proposed local engineers (i.e. the engineers ability to read manuals, etc).

ALL work done under this system MUST be re-done or at least re-certified by a company approved engineer immediately on return to contracted base.

A failure to satisfy these needs may result in sending a company engineer to complete the task.

Hope this helps...

Bus429
13th Dec 2011, 13:22
Thanks Rigga. I'm actually quite familiar with the process and requirements (I issued one today) but believe me there are those maintenance managers who abuse it or use it a service that can be provided, not an exceptional situation. I refer mostly to what IMHO is the worst sector of the industry: corporate/business aviation (GA on steroids).

I'd be quite interested in hearing more opinions or experiences...