PDA

View Full Version : Confidence in Partial Sponsorships?

WAIF-er
8th Nov 2001, 04:00
Having a number of part-sponsorship schemes being cancelled in mid course in the last 2 months, with students being left "high and dry" in a career sense, how many people in here would be reluctant to invest such sums of money in any future schemes?

With most people having to borrow in the form of career development loans and professional studies loans, added to that the fact that you give up your existing job to do the training, I for one would be in deep financial dire straits should the unthinkable - now a real probability - occur.

My desire to become a pilot is still as strong as before, however, I am not prepared to face financial ruin should another downturn occur. I believe that the airline industry doesnt necessarily have a "bottom" - Ie. just when you thought things were bad, they suddenly get even worse.

Having just been invited to the BE/Cabair tests, my attendance reply is still sitting on my desk whilst I decide whether or not I want to go any further. Call me hesitant, non-committed or whatever. I am simply taking the time to evaluate all the possibilities and to get valued feedback from work colleagues.

I am not wishing to put anyone off, but simply want to know what other wannabes similar to myself are thinking. :confused:

[ 08 November 2001: Message edited by: WAIF-er ]

JT8
8th Nov 2001, 04:39
With you on this one mate. With SFT going down, I'm worried about how Cabair are going to get through this period. Hence my reduced enthusiasm about my invite for the BE aptitudes. I can't see BA doing the TEP scheme for about 4-5 years which means I'll be too old if I waited :(.

If succesful in getting a place on the BE scheme you've still got to worry about:

1) The airline could pull out. That leaves you with an extra 23k on top of your initial 32k to finish your training.
2) No job at the end. You wait up to 3 years for them to give you a position, and that will pay 15-16k after deductions.
3) Cabair go bust. In which case your f*%@&d.

Is it worth the risk? Although it maybe the only chance for a flying job within 2 years, I'm starting to think not :confused: .

Best of luck & maybe see you on the 20th.
JT8

STurns
8th Nov 2001, 14:25
I was selected for partial sponsorship with Cabair (pre Sept. 11th). At that time taking all factors into account I decided that the sponsorship was not for me.

What swung it for me were several things including amount of investment by me, loss of earnings from my current job, low wage whilst on the scheme and cost of living away from home for 3+ years (and leaving the partner to pay the mortgage). Being bonded for your IR training costs for 3 years was also a minus, plus the legal contract had a few clauses I was not happy about.

Cabair get a good deal and the students on the sponsored courses know this, but for those prepared to put up with this it is a good deal, you just have to position against doing it yourself, and for me it was just as cheap to go the self sponsored route.

It really comes down to how much you want to fly.

Regards,

STurns

tomthepilot
8th Nov 2001, 17:51
I agree with Rich Tea - at this stage we're no closer (in reality) than those who didn't even receive an invite. Ultimately they might even end up £50 better off

But still, I think it's worth going for it: if you really want to be a commercial airline pilot, and haven't got the magical fifty grand, then what other option do you have

I have even heard a rumour that BE have already withdrawn the offer (having made 100 pilots redundant, you can understand why) but are committed to cabair to continue with the whole selection fiasco

I have to say all this leaves me undetered. If we all display this defeatest attitude then what hope have we got

Speaking as a 3rd time veteran of the BA interview process, a Final Board meeting is unlike any you're likely to encounter. I would see these opportunities (BE / BM / KLM) as an ideal practice ground, and practice is what you need at the end of the day

I don't mean to rant off, but for those of you fortunate to make it over the first hurdle, I say well done & good luck to you. You'll make it in the end

WAIF-er
8th Nov 2001, 18:31
Good point there Captain - If nothing else, I believe that £50 for sitting the aptitudes is not bad value for money. I havent sat the Cabair tests before, so maybe some good experience can be gained.

My battle plan is to secure a good job elsewhere and put myself in a stonger financial position, so that I may pursue at least the modular route, but quite possible the fully integrated route in good time.

charles_auty
9th Nov 2001, 02:48
I for one a definitely going on the 20th. I see it as an opportunity not to be missed. In my opinion it is an excellent chance to put myself under the sort of conditions that I will have to encounter throughout my life as a commercial pilot. I think that every airline puts its new employees through selection tests, and the Cabair tests are obviously relevent to flying. I have already been to GAPAN, completed a set of Morrisby tests and had a psychometric study done. The more information I can gather about my aptitude for the job, the more likely I am to secure that big loan in the future should I not be offered a place by BE. See you all on the 20th!

Cheers

G - HIGH
10th Nov 2001, 19:58
Well, with no intentions of actually wanting to annoy anyone with what i'm about to say, i'm sure it'll make a few of you a little more irate.
After reading all of the above i feel that i need to write the following. I am in a similar situation to the few who have written above me, and to thousands out there just reading this stuff.
Firstly, i'm just a wannabe. Soon to start my IMC and then my .... and then my .... etc... (same story as everyone else) .
Anyway, I too have received invitations to attended both apptitude tests and interviews. Sadly, no luck so far, but i'm still smiling.
My point is this - For all of those optimists out there (myself included), who are still willing to consider spending all this money for apptitude tests, and all the other tests that cost even more - STOP! Stop, and actually try to convince yourself in this current state of affairs whether your just wasting money or not.
Amoungst all of the key skills a pilot must possess, surely common sense must be one of them. My reasons for writing this thread, are not to say don't do it, or even to persuade you too do it, but to just say to all of you - think twice.
I'm 24 now, and i've spent many thousands of pounds in the last 2 years. Because of my situation at the moment, good job but still absolutely broke (Flying, student loans, uni fees etc..) i'm in an excellent position to panic about how i can afford everything.
I'm going to leave applying for sponsourship at the moment. I think i'm an excellent candidate for the job, but even i know when the odds are to high.
For those of you out there who have decided to leave it untill things look a little rosier, keep reading the books etc.. I've just borrowed a complete set of ATPL books from a friend that i intend to read to pass the time away.
I whole heartedly support anyone with the attitude of 'dont care what the situation is, i'm going for it' - Just think twice before you do it.
Anyway, best of luck to you all.