PDA

View Full Version : Bob Roffe

industry insider
9th Dec 2011, 11:42
I was sad to hear that Bob Roffe passed away last week after complications post heart attack. His funeral was a couple of days ago in Oxted. Bob was with Bristow for many years and after he finished flying was a Regional Operations Superintendent based in Redhill looking after International. We should not forget that Bob was one of the very early S-55 pilots flying to rigs in the North Sea in the 1960s.

There will be many on here who Bob "sent" to Nigeria and other top places in the world. Bob was a company man through and through and always managed to put a positive spin on whichever "garden spot" you were being sent to! He was, though, a gentleman through and through.

I used to enjoy my visits to Bob's office on the second floor, he was a laid back guy who always had a smile, even if it was a wry one as he knew more than you knew ...as you were leaving for the airport with suitcase packed!

RIP old fella, another one of the originals gone from the rotary world. Condolences to Anne and the family.

TipCap
9th Dec 2011, 14:30
Sad to hear the news.

It seems when one gets to a certain age, all your old acquaintances seem to be heading for the hangar in the sky.

Checking my Logbook, I first flew with Bob in a Wessex 60 G-ATCA to the Leman Field out of North Denes on 25th July 1968. It was my first flight in a "civvie" Wessex although I had flown the Wessex V in the mob

RIP Bob and condolences to your family

JohnW

stacey_s
10th Dec 2011, 15:40
Sad to hear the news of Bobs passing, First time I met him we di a ferry flight From Redhill to Lagos with A 212 across the Sahara before GPS, took turns sleeping/flying, should of been a five day trip, but took ten great memories, RIP Bob

bellboy
11th Dec 2011, 21:00
Sorry to hear of the passing of Bob.

I loved playing the game with Bob: how much are you going to believe? It was always a bit of a lottery He would say two weeks it would turn to be two months. He would say Hotel: it was a hut. But that was part of the fun and he did not forget! The favour would be repaid. It was mutual respect. That has all gone. Bob you would not want to work here anymore and you and your kind are missed.

WhirlwindIII
12th Dec 2011, 03:03
Very sorry to hear this.

He was a BHL manager we remember well.

Flew with him in the Whirlwind and 212.

He was always a step ahead!

God Speed.

Dave B
21st Dec 2011, 16:32
I remember Bob telling a story against himself once. He flew a 212 from Redhill to Ireland, by himself for some reason. Halfway across the Irish sea, the copilots window slid down and he could not reach across to close it. Because he was wearing bifocals at that time, he could not see the heater switch in the overhead panel, so arrived frozen through.

I also remember him as area manager in Nigeria for many years, he will be missed.

Ainippe
22nd Dec 2011, 07:35
Sad news - always a gentleman with a good sense of humour. Seemed to love his food if I remember correctly ;).

JimL
22nd Dec 2011, 09:27
If I were looking for one word to describe Bob, it would be 'urbane'.

Jim