PDA

View Full Version : Save Filton Airfield Campaign

supercarb
9th Dec 2011, 06:33
Press Release issued by Save Filton Airfield Campaign (http://www.savefiltonairfield.org/), 6 December 2011

5 December 2011 was a sad day for Bristol as South Gloucestershire Council planners backed the termination of more than one hundred years of aviation development in this City.

Rather than supporting manufacturing and engineering in the region, the planners want up to 3000 homes to be built on the airfield site. These homes will be in addition to 2000 new homes at Harry Stoke, 1700 at Charlton Hayes, and 1750 at Cribbs/Patchway. This brings the number of planned homes in this small, already congested area to over 8000 – the size of Bradley Stoke.

Yesterday, on BBC Radio Bristol, Councillor Brian Allinson, Executive Member for Planning, Transportation and Strategic Environment stated:

“we are determined to ensure aerospace related industries get a priority for coming to the area”.

Air Livery left Filton in 2009, because, to quote their managing director: “Effectively BAE were unable to give Air Livery a vision of how long the airfield would remain open. Consequently we had to make a decision in the interest of the business, as to the future.”

Aeros, a flight training organization, wanted to invest in Filton and develop a commercial pilot training operation at Filton. They were forced to pull out of Filton in 2011 because the airfield was closing.

Originally destined for Filton, A350 wing manufacture has moved to a new £400 million pound factory in North Wales. 650 workers will be employed at that factory.
This weekend, reports claim that A320 wing manufacture, planned for GKN at Filton, will instead go to South Korea – with the loss of 800 jobs.

British Airways are looking at St. Athan as an extra maintenance base for their aircraft. They won’t be looking at Filton, because they need a runway.

Bruce Dickinson, of Iron Maiden fame, is a keen aviator and is looking at building an aviation business at St. Athan. He won’t be looking at Filton because he needs a runway.

Fixed Based Operators (FBOs) such as Execujet are investing in British airfields. They won’t be looking at Filton, because they need runways.

We have also heard, from a number of sources that Dyson and Virgin were interested in using the Brabazon Hangar. But they would also need a runway.

It is clear that the South Gloucestershire Council planners do not have the vision, courage or determination to attract aviation to Filton. They are not encouraging aviation as Brian Allinson suggests. They are instead signing Filton’s death certificate.

The planners’ process has been flawed and biased from the start. For example, they have held workshops with housing developers to look at the closure of the airfield. They have not held workshops with the aviation industry to look at keeping the airfield open, or even made any attempts to verify the level of interest in the airfield.

To justify their actions, South Gloucestershire Council planners commissioned a report from York Aviation. This report was completed in just two weeks. As a result of this short time frame, the report was considerably limited in its scope. Page 21, section 3.19 of the report says it all:

“It is outside the brief for this report to undertake an economic impact assessment of the aviation activity at Filton”.

Local MP, Jack Lopresti is also standing by. He is on record, along with his conservative government as saying that we need aviation engineering and manufacturing to lead us into recovery. Yet, incredibly, he is supporting house building on Filton Airfield.

Jack Lopresti should be listening and representing the majority view of his constituents. Instead he has written articles trying to make the issue political, along with scaremongering stories of night flights and an international airport. He has accused campaigners for the airfield as being “led by outsiders”. His actions are those of a man who doesn’t support aviation in Filton at all.

The Save Filton Airfield campaign group would like to point out that we are not outsiders. Every single one of us lives within minutes of Filton. Many of us work at Rolls Royce, Airbus or GKN. Some of us are pilots who fly regularly from Filton, others are Engineers. We are a non-political organization, with support from people of all political backgrounds, and some who are fed up with politics, with good reason. We have never suggested night flying or an international airport at Filton.

Brian Allinson and Jack Lopresti can tell us they are determined to help Aerospace at Filton until they are blue in the face. Their actions and the ongoing collapse of aviation at Filton, tells us all we need to know. Aviation around the world has a bright future. Sadly, after one hundred proud years, not at Filton.

Of course, Airbus and GKN can live without the airfield. It is easy for them. They will simply move manufacturing elsewhere, as they are clearly already doing. Not so good for us in the South West.

During the last few months we have received both informal and formal backing from Councillors from across the political spectrum. Next week these Councillors will have their first real opportunity to demonstrate that their words were not just hollow gestures.

There are numerous ways of saving the airfield and backing aviation at Filton. We could, for example, work together to see if the airfield can be purchased by a consortium and run as a mixed use airfield. We have a fully costed proposal that shows the airfield ought to make at least a £1 million profit, year on year. The risk is minimal, given the land’s value for housing. Not only would we show real commitment to our resident Aerospace companies, we would attract new aviation businesses to the airfield as well.

We call on Councillors to think carefully before building houses on Filton Airfield. Why rush? Should we not be more careful and serious about promoting the aviation industry at Filton?

Once Filton Airfield is gone it is gone forever.

ENDS

For further details see Save Filton Airfield (http://www.savefiltonairfield.org/)

ScotsSLF
9th Dec 2011, 06:49
Keep fighting. Local council 'consultant reports' are usually flawed and have major 'holes' in them given that they are usually rushed through to try and back up the incompetence of local councillors. Councils make money from houses not business rates I'm led to believe and if this is the case then this must further blinker their already blinkered and short term views. If there is enough aviation interest in Filton and this interest will create employment then it is worth fighting for. When you take local councils on with a reasoned and robust argument then you start to see their incompetence come to the surface for all to see. Best of luck.

siftydog
9th Dec 2011, 07:20
Good luck with the campaign. Without wishing to poop on the party, Filton's death sentence was passed decades ago when the council choked the area with close in development. Just as short sighted then as now, its not a recent development but the final death throes of what has been a tortured process. Look at Woodford in Stockport to see what council support there is for an obvious business case.
Council tax from high density low cost estates will always win. Shame.

fireflybob
9th Dec 2011, 07:29
How about a mass demonstration on the runway at Filton?

Evanelpus
9th Dec 2011, 08:38
I've read this kind of argument at least twice before; think BAe/Airbus; think Hatfield, think Woodford.

Bottom line. 100 years of aviation history means squat. Large pieces of real estate for building homes means a lot more and brings in the cash. I personally saw Hatfield go from a thriving community to a ghost town in the space of 12 months.

I know you've gotta give it your best shot but prepare yourselves for the worst case scenario.

Whatever the final outcome, good luck!

MerchantVenturer
9th Dec 2011, 11:30
Incredible.

Over in London there are people fighting to avoid an airfield being built on top of their houses, and in Filton it's the other way around.

Why don't they just all exchange homes?

A considerable number of residents who live in the vicinity of Filton Airfield have not taken altruism as their credo. When the Bristol Airport runway was closed at night for resurfacing in the winter of 2006/2007 the two nightly mail rotations then operating from BRS were switched to Filton. The complaints about noise that this brought to the local press made one think that a major airport was operating 24 hours a day.

When Bae applied to turn Filton into a city airport in the 1990s the local opposition was such that a public enquiry was held that led to the application being refused.

There are those who argue that Filton should have become Bristol's airport in the 1950s when Bristol Corporation as the city council was then known closed their Whitchurch airport and bought the former RAF Lulsgate Bottom site on a wind-swept and mist-laden plateau south of the city.

Popular belief has it that the Bristol Aeroplane Company the then owners and occupiers of Filton offered their facility to the council for a peppercorn rent. Mindful that they would be tenants and perhaps secondary to the requirements of the resident owners the council opted to purchase Lulsgate.

Filton certainly has many things that Lulsgate lacks: a longer runway; a larger site (though not so large as it once was since part has already been sold for housing); two major motorways intersecting a few minutes away (M4 and M5); a main line railway line passing nearby (from both London and Bristol to South Wales) and a branch line running through the site itself from Fiton to Avonmouth; overall better weather conditions; close to the North Bristol fringe, a major driver of the Bristol region economy.

Whether a Filton-sited Bristol airport would have really flourished since the 1950s is arguable given that it would have been subject to the whims of the BAC and its successors.

It would now be up against a large body of nimby and environmental objectors given its proximity to a large urban area; Lulsgate suffers in this respect yet its neighbours are villagers and people living around and strolling the nearby woods, fields and combes.

jabird
10th Dec 2011, 01:46
Bruce Dickinson, of Iron Maiden fame, is a keen aviator and is looking at building an aviation business at St. Athan. He won’t be looking at Filton because he needs a runway.

So could you clarify exactly what you are arguing here? Following demise of AEU, is Bruce trying to start a new airline, or do somethign else aerospace related?

St Athan is so close to CWL, surely there is little case for an airline there?

Filton might have presented a different story - a city airport for Flybe types using the quietest lawnmower engines, anything remotely noisy use BRS, similar to the set up in Belfast.

But as mentioned, Filton surrounded by housing, and as such even such a small operation was denied at a Public Inquiry, little chance of surfacing again.

Now I can't comment much on non-commercial aviation uses, but such a long runway, with space either side, needs a good business case, otherwise it will indeed be better off as housing or light commercial use, as we're already seeing planned for PLH, as I'd expect to see at CVT within 5 years, and probably also at MME and BLK.

Be glad at least that, despire its disadvantages, BRS still handles around 6m px pa, whereas BHX, as the centre of a much more substantial catchment, struggles to make it to 9m. In that respect, with or without Filton, Bristol is still a success story.

bearkeeper
10th Dec 2011, 07:19
Unfortunately the preservation of our aviation heritage and hard-headed business strategy is not a marriage made in heaven!

I was born in Filton during the 1950’s and lived my early life close to the huge factories of BAC and BSEL and, of course, Filton Aerodrome. Most of my family worked in these establishments so it was no surprise that I started my career as an Apprentice at Rolls-Royce and worked for 23 years with them, most of which was based in West Works on the airfield side of the A38 – thus for me Filton holds many special memories!

However, progress marches on and the business models of BAE Systems, Airbus, GKN and Rolls-Royce are nothing like they used to be.
R-R sold off West Works to the Royal Mail in the mid 1990’s, closed Rodney Works and withdrew operations from the airfield. The Technical College was sold-off and BAe/Airbus closed Aviation Services in 2002 and BAe Systems attempted to attract other aviation companies to Filton (Air Livery & MK Airlines to name two) to keep it viable but this ended in disaster. R-R has since closed East Works, sold the land for development and there it still sits to this day as a deserted waste-land. Are we then really surprised that BAe Systems, with the largest holding of local Real Estate, is going to close Filton?

The failure to secure FZO as a commercial Airport back in 1996 really sounded the death knell for the airfield and, unfortunately, this years’ decision by BAe Systems to provide notice of closure is the logical business conclusion to the events that have happened over the last 15-years since then.

I will be extremely sad to see the passing of Filton Aerodrome, not only because of its 100-year aviation history, but also because of my long personal association with it. However in my opinion, the fight to save FZO should have started many years ago and not now – it’s just too late and the wrong time for the aviation industry!

ZeBedie
10th Dec 2011, 21:19
I did my 1-11 night circuits for base training at Filton, one June night. Apparently the phone lines had been red hot with complaints the whole time:O

Phileas Fogg
11th Dec 2011, 03:13
Would that be why Concorde was 'expelled' to Brize Norton and Fairford to do it's circuits and bumps?

I always remember one evening of trying to watch TV at Brize whilst, most of the evening, there was a VC10 and G-BOAD doing circuits and bumps ... It became a (noise) game of 'Spot The Difference'. :)