PDA

View Full Version : CHC first officer requirements

Goph
8th Dec 2011, 19:52
What kind of experience is required (on average) to be considered a CHC FO?

Granny
8th Dec 2011, 19:57
Co-pilot not First Officer!

tistisnot
8th Dec 2011, 20:19
Second Officer, First Officer, Senior First Officer, Captain are ranks ...... a la militaire ..... co-pilot can be any of those .... it is a function. The other one will be Commander or Pilot in Command, normally a Captain. So there ....

Goph
9th Dec 2011, 00:30
sorry for the mixup!

Co-pilot requirements then?

Epiphany
9th Dec 2011, 03:13
FIRST OFFICER
Valid Australian CASA licence;
MUST hold Australian residency or Australian working visa;
MUST hold Australian Aviation Medical Class 1;
Australian IREX exam and Australian ATPL(H) subjects (or be in the process of completing) are desirable;
Total 750 hours (minimum) helicopter;
500 hours Pilot In Command;
Offshore experience or EMS/SAR experience desirable;
Hold a valid passport. International travel may be required and you may perform other duties as assigned.

This is a deirect copy from the CHC careers page for Australia. Other countries will have similar requirements.

Ludolf
9th Dec 2011, 03:40
I know a couple of guys/girls who joined directly out of training i.e. around 170 hours incl IR.
But this is offshore in Europe. I don't know if it's different at other bases throughout the world.

RotorSwede
9th Dec 2011, 06:30
It's 'first officer' not 'co-pilot', it more accuretly reflects the job. At least in the north sea.

Some based require 1000h, some bases have no hour requirements. All have a grading procedure. All require IR. This is what I know from the NS.

Cheers

pohm1
9th Dec 2011, 07:15
It's 'first officer' not 'co-pilot', it more accuretly reflects the job. At least in the north sea.

So when two captains fly together, does that mean that one of them is designated the 'first officer' or 'co-pilot?'

P1;)

Impress to inflate
9th Dec 2011, 07:46
Some might say "Ballast" ?!

HeliComparator
9th Dec 2011, 08:08
Title and operating capacity - two different things. Titles are captain and first officer, operating capacity is commander or copilot. So when a captain flies not in command, he is flying in the capacity of a co-pilot. You would still call him "captain blogs" (if you wanted to be formal, although it is of course the more normal "Oi you" if being addressed by management).

Some might say "Ballast" ?!

Only dinosaurs and foolish people!

Edited to say that one of the requirments might be to be able to spell requirements!