PDA

View Full Version : UK ATPL Sim Check

b737bbj
7th Dec 2011, 07:35
Hi all,

I've done a search but couldn't locate what I'm after...

I'm an Aussie with an Australian ATPL who has done the 14 UK exams and Medical and now need to do a Sim ride on the A330 to get the JAR ATPL.

Has anyone before me done this and would like to share their experiences with the Sim ride? I am after info on the sim check itself and what is flown, location, pre-sim brief questions, etc. The UK CAA haven't been much help unfortuneately and just seem to want my money, go figure!

If anyone can assist, it would be great. I will of course post my experience with the Sim when it happens. Thanks.

BigGeordie
7th Dec 2011, 08:27
Do you have the A330 on your Australian Licence, with hours on type?

tom775257
7th Dec 2011, 08:27
From what I remember off the top of my head, from my experience not what is written down:

There isn't any real questioning before hand, just a briefing. If I remember it is a fairly standard LPC style check, engine failure, DODAR, NITS etc but it must include raw data ILS. I helped out a friend a year ago sitting in the left seat while he did his check, pretty much seemed it was just ticking boxes; nothing hard. He did a fairly **** job of it and passed. I got my ATPL just on the back of a company LPC/OPC with a raw data ILS thrown in.

The CAA do not arrange an examiner for you etc. you will have to call a training establishment eg. Oxford (GECAT) who have contractor TREs to arrange the check.

<<pass the ATPL(A) skill test in accordance with
Appendices 1 and 2 to JAR-FCL 1.240 and 1.295
with, or observed by, a CAA Flight Operations
Training Inspector*.>>

<<The applicant shall demonstrate the ability to
perform as Pilot-in-Command of an aeroplane type
certificated for a minimum of two pilots under IFR,
the procedures and manoeuvres required with a
degree of competency appropriate to the privileges
granted to the holder of an ATPL(A).
• The Skill Test may serve as a skill test for the
issue of the licence and a proficiency check for the
revalidation of the type rating for the aeroplane used
in the test, and may be combined with the skill test
for the issue of a multi-pilot type rating>>

de facto
7th Dec 2011, 09:01
You will do an IR skill test,exercices that are required to pass the IR include holding,procedure turns raw data,steep turns,approach to stall..and the usual engine failure, reject.
The examinor will not look at your rating side (ie 330 specific),rather at your handling skills and IR regulations knowledge....ie if you approach the IAF by more than 30 degrees enter the puvlished procedure turn via the holding to establish yourself inbound....expect no radar vectors..
I hope you catch the drift:E

All the best!!

b737bbj
7th Dec 2011, 21:22
Thanks for that everyone. I do have a few years on the A330 and it is on my Australian ATPL.

Will give Oxford a ring... thanks!

ssmann
7th Dec 2011, 21:38
Try Flyairbus.very good and TRE is 330.He also conducts checks for CAA.

redsnail
8th Dec 2011, 13:50
You will also have to have an observer from the UK CAA. You'll have to arrange this yourself and pay his/her costs too.

This was true in 2001 and 2002. A TRE alone was not enough. The test had to be observed by the CAA.

VJW
8th Dec 2011, 16:22
Redsnail- that's correct and it's still the case.