PDA

View Full Version : ATC: "Route DCT ___"

Zebedee Says Boing
22nd Apr 2001, 17:32
Hi folks,

I have the IR coming up very soon and would like to clear up the following...

Imagine you are traveling South West, you are at your assigned level and your Airways Clearance (given on the ground) is to join controlled airspace NORTH of (say) Malby. So you have worked out how to join from the North as aposed to the North East and are then told to Route Direct Malby. Does this mean that you do not have any more to join from the North and can instead from the North East?

Thank in advance,

ZSB.

Jetdriver
22nd Apr 2001, 17:49
I think it means what it says...."Route DIRECT to Malby"

airtaxi
22nd Apr 2001, 18:05
The whole point of an aircraft is to get from a to b as quickly (and safely) as possible. With this in mind, being cleared to join a waypoint from the North when you are NorthEast of it would seem to me to be permission to go direct. After all, the closer you get, the nearer to North you get.

Remember that the most recent clearance supersedes those that came before and so to answer your second question, if air traffic say go direct to xxx then that is what you can do.

You don't say if this clearance involves a SID. If it does, then follow it until cleared otherwise.

The golden rule is - if unsure then ask. You will not fail your IR for clarifying a controllers instructions but guess what happens if you carry on blindly and hope for the best!

Hope this helps :) :)

Scando
22nd Apr 2001, 19:20
Bit off topic, but what's the correct phraseology, "route direct" or "own navigation to"? Do they in any way have different meanings, as I keep hearing both (in Europe) all the time.

airtaxi
22nd Apr 2001, 20:35
Scando- 'route direct' means proceed in a straight line to the next waypoint. 'Own Nav' means continue either direct, or if your nav equipment doesn't allow it (ie no GPS/INS etc)then to continue as per your flight planned route.

At least that's the way I see it. Very often (in French airspace) I will be told to 'proceed' to xxx. I am never sure if this means direct or follow planned route. I have queried it at the time with the controllers and recieved a different answer each time!

Gonzo
22nd Apr 2001, 21:58
Further to Airtaxis thoughts;

'Route Direct xxx' is used when the aircraft is already on and following its planned route as per the flight plan, ie. may be used to give a short cut.
'Own Navigation xxx' is used when ATC have taken the a/c off it's planned route, ie. given a (radar) heading due to conflicting traffic, thus after xxx the a/c will resume its planned route.

Gonzo

Zebedee Says Boing
24th Apr 2001, 23:26
Hi Folks,

Thanks for your help and advice, it must have done the trick as I passed the IR!

Happy Landings,

ZSB

Thunderbug
25th Apr 2001, 22:50
Different places have different interpretations. Watch out if you go to South America....."Cleared Direct ..." means you are cleared to follow your flight planned route and omit position reports. It does not actually mean do in a straight line to that position.

Confusing eh........?

Scando
28th Apr 2001, 03:15
Zebedee,

Congratulations!

Airtaxi, Gonzo thanks.
Thunderbug, thanks for advice, now throw in "cleared xxx", and "route xxx". It's not supposed to be confusing, but...