PDA

View Full Version : Qantas to hire in 2012

Ultergra
6th Dec 2011, 10:23
Word on the street (from a mate of a mate, who heard from Qantas Fleet Manager) that with so many pilots quitting Qantas, they will have to look at hiring next year?

There are 1500hrs being allocated next roster period to A330 FO's to fly A330 SO's rostered patterns... Crazy!

bubble.head
6th Dec 2011, 10:43
Is there anything in the EBA that states that first officer cannot be in the role of the second officers? My understanding is that Emirates uses only Captain and first officers (2 sets) on board that long haul flights. While there is a shortage of second officers, can Qantas not just use first officer as second officers?

lemel
6th Dec 2011, 11:42
Who in their right mind would want to apply to Qantas anyway?????

They couldn't give a toss about their workers (as was recently demonstrated). It's not a secret as to where the future of Qantas lies and we all know it's not to keep mainline flying. These are all VERY good reasons as to why drivers are leaving!

So I ask again, who in their right mind would want to apply to work for Qantas as an SO.

The whole thing makes my blood boil.

Keg
6th Dec 2011, 12:01
lemel is on the money. Qantas has gone from being the 'pick' of employers to now being on the bottom of the pile. No expansion, only natural attrition affecting the numbers. My 13 years to a wide body command will look lightening fast in five to ten years time.

If we ever recruit again we'll end up with those who didn't get in to DJ or J* because no one sane will choose QF over either of those two.

waren9
6th Dec 2011, 13:00
So I ask again, who in their right mind would want to apply to work for Qantas as an SO.

Plenty on here said the same about the various JQ franchises, but they dont seem to have too much trouble. :hmm:

Marauder
6th Dec 2011, 15:58
Hey Keg,

You forgot Tiger as well.

On a seperate note, having watched PPrune develop over a lot of years, I am a little sad to see a young enthiastic Keg with (crimson tainted ) wide eyes, sometimes (my opinion) over the top defending QF against any critisism. I think it is a real barometer to see Keg's posts now, representing a typical dedicated QF pilot now so disollusioned, (I think) feeling trapped and looking for a way out.

Interesting to see the Air Crash Investigators Coglan (overly dramatic) report. But what stuck me was that my wife,(who obviously likes a reasonable income, but is not a aviation person, but knows the different between tired and lazy) commented, that the guts of this prang was because the company wasn't paying their pilots enough to live properly and be rested and fit for work.

Yet AJ and his bunch of not so merry men, want to drive wages and conditions to third world standards.

lemel
6th Dec 2011, 16:17
Warren9 I get what your saying, but you have to remember that there will be zero progression and job security for anyone joining Qantas now. I read on another thread about a pilot who has been a QF SO for 8 years and it won't be another 4-5 years until he can look at an FO slot on the 73. 13 years to become a first officer??? My god that is insanity!!! People become space shuttle pilots at a faster rate than that.

It was the best job in the country, if not the world once upon a time. I can understand people who fly for QF and are hanging around hoping to weather the storm. But I don't see how it would be a good career decision for a new pilot to join QF in it's current state.

For me personally the better options in Oz would be Virgin, Jetstar, Tiger and even Air Australia.

Checkboard
6th Dec 2011, 18:04
I guess they also have to hire to replace upstanding managers who have retired recently - like this bloke:

PHUKET: An Australian man wed his young Thai boyfriend in Chiang Mai yesterday, forking over 40 million baht in “boybride price” to the man's family for the privilege.

The traditional ceremony took place at the Chiang Mai home of Mr Chaiyanon “Un” Worasilp, a 27-year-old from Chachoengsao province, whose first name is unfortunately translated by the on-line Google Translation service as “Mr Bologna Repository”.

The groom, 60-year-old former Qantas Airline executive Leigh John Pleasance, was all smiles as he showered his young spouse with a non-binding dowry of cash, land and diamond and gold jewelry valued at 40 million baht.

He sold his home and other belongings in Thailand in order to buy the luxury home with swimming pool where he will live with his betrothed, he said.

http://www.dailynews.co.th/sites/default/files/imagecache/620x245/cover/1401.jpg

Keg
6th Dec 2011, 21:05
Marauder, close to the money. Disillusioned? Yes. Looking for a way out? Not yet but I'm eyes wide open as to what is going on. For the time being I'm trying to chase flying hours to get the magical 2000 hours wide body command. Three years as a Captain but with more than 52 weeks leave over that time and you can see why I'm about 450 hours short still of the requirement.

In the mean time I'm going to do everything possible to save this great airline from the idiots who proclaim to run it.

OhForSure
6th Dec 2011, 22:11
Onya Keg!:ok:

Ando1Bar
6th Dec 2011, 22:20
How many Qantas cadets are still bashing around in 206s and haven't been sucked up by QLink yet? My bet is a number of those that did get gigs with QLink still dream of flying a mainline widebody jet sometime soon.

nomorecatering
6th Dec 2011, 22:24
As a share holder, and a former 11 year QF employee, someone whos family involvent with QF goes back to 1956, its so sad to see whats happened to the great rat.

So.......I vote for Keg for CEO. If we can have Kevin 07, there's no reason why we cant have Keg 12.

Now lets see, he brings in some of the wise heads from Ppune land. A council of wisdom if you will.

Sigh..........

rmcdonal
6th Dec 2011, 22:51
I would still consider joining QF if it was available, it is one of the only airlines in OZ with a commutable roster that would allow me to move out of Sydney and back into a regional town. If I was to get bored of sitting in the back I could always hire a C172 on my days off and go for a Jolly. As for the pay, an SO with Qantas makes more than I do now as a Regional Captain and that's more than enough to live comfortably in the country.

waren9
7th Dec 2011, 01:00
Dead right, lemel. However, there is no such thing as job security in this industry anymore. Doesn't matter who you work for, that dream is dead.

I too have noticed a change in the tone of Kegs posts, over the last couple of months especially. Wondered if I wasn't the only one.

Howard Hughes
7th Dec 2011, 01:22
I'm with rmcdonal, I'd consider it for the lifestyle.;)

Dragun
7th Dec 2011, 06:00
..an SO with Qantas makes more than I do now as a Regional Captain

Not if Qantas gets the "B scale" that is in the company's log of claims. It's a small one liner, but it's there.

It also looks like that there's a good chance Virgin will have domicile rostering in their next EBA which will trump any other sort of commuting in other carriers.

QF94
7th Dec 2011, 11:58
In the mean time I'm going to do everything possible to save this great airline from the idiots who proclaim to run it.

Spot on keg. QANTAS is a great airline, and as a company, is a great company to work for with so many dedicated staff that do their utmost to keep the airline going, no matter the situation.

It's unfortunate that the a-holes in COWARD ST, Mascot are trying all they can to ruin it, although fortunate enough for the travelling public, it's the dedication of the pilots, engineers, cabin crew, check-in, ramp staff, catering, cleaners and all the behind-the-scenes staff that keep QANTAS in the air and turning a dollar.

We've just celebrated the 91st birthday of QANTAS, and I will be doing my best to be there for the 100th (without the current board of course).