PDA

View Full Version : Fuel drop tanks, Harrier, Skyhawk question?

John Hill
6th Dec 2011, 02:58
Fuel drop tanks, Harrier, Skyhawk question?
Hi, I am a member of a volunteer aviation museum in Ashburton, New Zealand.

We have managed to get drop tanks for our Harrier and our Skyhawk, two small tanks for the Harrier and one big one (400 gallon?) for the Skyhawk.
The tanks have the lugs on top and the aircraft have the 'rails' (or whatever they are called) that have the clamps to take the tanks.

Common opinion is that we just need to position these tanks and push them into place for the clamps to open and grip the tanks. But we are a bit cautious and do not want to run into any problems, so the question is "How do we attach the tanks and how would we release them if necessary?"

I have no doubt our donors would hold our hands if we asked but really we would like to show a bit of initiative and get this solved ourselves.
Thanks for any help..

John Hill
7th Dec 2011, 03:36
OK, we figured out how to open the latches on the Harrier but still comfounded by the Skyhawk lathes, can anyone give any clues please?:)

NutLoose
8th Dec 2011, 23:18
John ask in the flypast forums, the harrier if it is anything like the jag u use a square drive to open and close the jaws. Sorry i do not know the Skyhawk.

Other suggestion is to register on the RAF Armourers website and ask them, they will certainly know all things Harrier, site is here

RAF Armourers › News (http://www.rafarmourers.co.uk/)

WhirlyN3
9th Dec 2011, 07:10
Hi John. Its been a while but I can try and help.

As Nutloose said, there will be a half inch square drive on the pylon that opens and closes the jaws. It should be just under two round holes (where the explosive carts go to jettison the tanks). Use a long extension on a T bar and you should be able to get 180 degrees of movement. Open the jaws as far as they will go and leave the t bar in the drive. Jack the tank upto the pylon, and if you guide the lugs in correctly it should start to close the jaws automatically. Use the T bar to bring the locking jaws all the way home and thats it. Theres also a safety pin hole (just rearward I think) if you want to be sure it wont fall on any kiddies.

Hope this helps.

Kiwiconehead
9th Dec 2011, 22:43
Your best bet is to post here

Wings Over New Zealand - Home (http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi)

NZ based board, they guy who runs it is the guy who just published the RNZAF Skyhawk book.

Heaps of ex A4 guys. They will have someone who can tell you, and maybe even someone local who can drop by and help.

John Hill
10th Dec 2011, 00:18
Thanks everyone, we got both aircraft sorted. The Harrier was easy, we just looked for anything easily acessable to ground crews.

The A4 took a bit longer as we had to open a flap on the side of the pylon first.

Thanks again.