PDA

View Full Version : US Equivalent to Canadian Air-Air Traffic Advisory 126.7 MHz

bootedpilot
6th Dec 2011, 00:44
when doing VFR flying in the US in a non flight following mode, I was wondering if there was an equivalent to the Canadian traffic advisory frequency (126.7)

thanks

AdamFrisch
6th Dec 2011, 01:04
When you say traffic advisory, do you mean air-to-air? According to ICAO 123.45Mhz is the designated air-to-air frequency for relaying messages over oceans and when air-to-ground communications are not possible. It can also be used to coordinate formations and generally speak to other airborne aircraft, although I don't think it's supposed to be used as a "chat" frequency, although I'm sure that happens all the time.

bootedpilot
6th Dec 2011, 01:07
it is air to air to identify one's position, altitude, direction, etc.

Dave Gittins
6th Dec 2011, 12:20
Why wouldn't you be tuned to either the field you left, the one you are going to, or one reasonably close to your track, or something like 122.7, which is likely to give you an idea of traffic at fields close to your location ?

fernytickles
6th Dec 2011, 12:41
Bootedpilot,

No, for en route there isn't really the same system as the 126.7 offers.

For flight following, you will be talking to approach or centre.

For announcing your location etc around airports, you will be using that airport's CTAF (common traffic advisory frequency) or unicom. This is usually in the 122.70 to 123.0 range of frequencies and is noted on the VFR sectionals.

If it is a controlled field (Class C or D) but you are there outwith normal tower operating hours, the tower frequency usually becomes the CTAF.

There isn't any formal "between airports" advisory frequency.

If you are trying to find en route weather, then you will be talking to the nearest Flight Service Station, and the frequency is noted on the sectionals as well.

There is not really any equivalent for 126.7 here in the US.

F - off to Toronto this morning - IFR, so no 126.7 today :ok:

BackPacker
6th Dec 2011, 13:37
it is air to air to identify one's position, altitude, direction, etc.

Just out of curiosity, how effective is such a true air-to-air frequency anyway?

As a "chat" frequency (123.45 equivalent), fine, you don't have to participate and can tune it down if the conversation gets boring. But how effective is it to warn other traffic? For "blind" position reports to be effective, you will need to repeat them every few minutes, and you need to track all other position reports too. There's no ATC doing the work for you.

Flying at, say, 2500 feet, the coverage of such a frequency is an area approximately 1000 square miles (assuming all other planes fly at 2500 feet as well). Such an area will contain normally at least dozens, and possibly hundreds of airplanes. All trying to transmit their location and intentions every few minutes, and with everyone trying to keep track of all others. Really?

My gut feeling is that less than 10% of the pilots will actually diligently make use of such frequency. Which means that it gives a very false sense of security. Especially if pilots use this as a replacement for keeping a good lookout.

Then again, I have never flown in Canada so I might be wrong. But if the traffic density in an area is so low that it is humanly possible to send a position report every few minutes, and to keep accurate track of all other position reports that are being transmitted, the area is probably so sparsely populated with aircraft that a mid-air collision is very, very unlikely anyway.

(Although I appreciate that a lot of pilots get a fuzzy warm feeling from talking to *someone*, even if that someone is not going to be able to provide any help whatsoever.)

fernytickles
6th Dec 2011, 15:06
Then again, I have never flown in Canada so I might be wrong.

As the saying goes, don't knock it until you've tried it. It seems to have worked fine for quite a long time now.

Gomrath
6th Dec 2011, 15:27
Sadly a lot of misinformation above.

Silvaire has it right.
As Silvaire says - 122.75 is the fixed wing air-air frequency.

For Helicopters, 123.025 is the frequency. Fly around the LA basin and it is used extensively by GA, LAFD and LAPD ships plus the multitude of news ships that are all over the area for position reports.

Go review the FAR/AIM - AIM section 4-1-11 - Table 4-1-3 refers
http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim/Chap4/aim0401.html#4-1-11

bootedpilot
8th Dec 2011, 02:35
Thanks to all for the great replies. I did not know (or remember !) about 122.75. As it has been explained above, 126.7 is the standard enroute frequency for VFR flight in Canada. It is used to report aircraft type, call sign, position, altitude, and direction. A typical call could be:

''Traffic advisory one-two-six-decimal-seven, for the region of ABC, Cessna one-seven-two, Charlie-Golf-Foxtrot-Mike-Mike at three thousand five hundred feet above (village, or lake or whatever) eastbound toward the city of DEF, conflicting traffic please contact Golf-Foxtrot-Mike-Mike''

The system is not perfect but it increases overall traffic awareness provided the frequency is used and monitored. It seems like in the US, 122.75 is used differently, or is it ?

KKoran
8th Dec 2011, 05:07
You are correct; 122.75 is used differently than 126.7 is used in Canada.

n5296s
8th Dec 2011, 05:11
122.75 is the official air-to-air freq in the US. In my experience it is used mainly for long conversations between planes flying loosely together. We use it when flying acro, but mainly it's clogged up with tedious stuff like "Where are you?" "I'm over by the grain elevator" "I can't see you, but what a lovely day" "I think that's you just over the lake" "Oh yeah so it is" and so ad nauseum.

I used 123.45 on my one occasion flying in Mexico, where it was used by all the other traffic also (i.e. the plane I was flying with and one other we heard in a total of 10 hours of flying).

n5296s

fernytickles
8th Dec 2011, 09:18
Bootedpilot,

Am I right in thinking you can also ask for weather on 126.7 as well? On a VFR trip from Alaska thru Canada to California in a Maule, I seem to remember we got weather info on 126.7 when asking for it. Or is that only in that area?

It seemed to me to be a "cover everything" frequency, whether that be annoucing where you are, or updating information pertinent to the flight.

bootedpilot
9th Dec 2011, 04:24
you are correct fernytickles. Flight Information Centres (FIC) provide services for VFR flight (flight plan, significant weather, call for late planes). Depending on the area where you are flying, you can reach them on 126.7. However, for other areas, in order to free-up the frequency, RCOs are established with specific frequencies. The Canada Flight Supplement contains this information. For weather or other emergency issues, FIC will broadcast on 126.7

Big Pistons Forever
10th Dec 2011, 03:09
The Continental US has very complete Radar coverage so flight following with center, or terminal as appropriate, is almost always available and is my preferred way to operate VFR. To get enroute weather you can contact an FSS.

Make sure you get a good preflight briefing on TFRs. Going through one can really ruin your day......

fernytickles
11th Dec 2011, 01:38
Going through one can really ruin your day

Yebbut, you'll get some cracking photos :E