PDA

View Full Version : ATPL exams 'study time'

Roff
5th Dec 2011, 21:30
After a search, I was wondering for the people who had chosen to self study how many hours per day did you dedicate to the cause?
And how quick did you finish all 14

I am thinking about this more and more each day with the hope to 1 day become an instructor but if i am honest it's the ATPL's that i see as my biggest challenge

zondaracer
5th Dec 2011, 21:42
I studied about 4 hours each day (some days up to six hours, some days none) and finished in six months, and I even took time off studying for Christmas and New Years and the birth of a baby.

Of course I say 4 hours, but I was easily distracted with YouTube and video streaming, so it was probably really two hours of quality studying per day to be honest.

Whirlygig
5th Dec 2011, 22:42
I worked full time whilst doing my exams ... a couple of hours each evening during the week, none on Friday nights or if I had a gig (about once a week), four each day of the weekends. All done in 10 months including all housework, shopping, washing, ironing, admin (no-one else to do this for me).

bluearrow
6th Dec 2011, 06:05
I worked 2 jobs full time and it took me 10 months. I studied everynight and i utilised every miniscule moment i had.

I know a couple of pilots from my flying club that did it in 3 months simply by hammering the question bank.

:ok:

RichardH
6th Dec 2011, 06:44
Roff, If your intention is to become a PPL instructor ONLY, then why not just do the CPL exams rather than the ATPLs. There are nine subjects/exams covering SLIGHTLY less material, there are a couple of course providers out there for CPL.

However, if at anytime soon your goals are to any commercial work go for ATPLs to start with.

Piltdown Man
6th Dec 2011, 08:38
To be honest, the CPL's were a bit of a breeze, but I spent about nine hours a day for six weeks (but with weekends totally off). I spent the same time on the ATPL's but as the subjects were more involved I had to prepare a study system and plan. For me it worked, just (72% in ATPL Met. Theory - a few years ago with negative penalty marking). But as everybody is different, you have to do a create a preparation system that works for you - but the secret is in a plan.

Roff
6th Dec 2011, 13:19
Richard, What exams don't you have to do if you just choose CPL's instead of ATPL's?

I have kind of thought about PPL instruction but i would want paying eventually.
I hear EASA are changing a few things but it all seem's un verified at the moment.

Thanks for the reply's guys :)

CATS Support
6th Dec 2011, 14:35
Under the New syllabus there is 13 exams for CPL now.

The subject matter is little changed (save for AGK, INST, OPS) and still excudes MRJT1

Under old it was 9 exams due to the combined exams of:

FP: FP, PERF and MB
AGK: AF and INST