PDA

View Full Version : How "Flexible" are the CAA's medical regs?

Eyon
5th Dec 2011, 13:59
Hi,

To cut a long story short, I went for my Class 1 initial last year, failed on the grounds of Long QT syndrome, a genetic heart condition which nearly always ends in sudden cardiac death. I was lucky enough that I only had it very mildly that, after shelling out a few bob on the caa's endless tests, I was granted with a Class 1 OML restricted medical.

Now, this wasn't good enough for me. Although it would enable me to get my licence, there was little to no chance of me being able to get a job at the end of it. So I went on with my own private investigations, and ended up seeing possibly one of the top cardiologists in the world (who charged less than the CAA believe it or not), who did all the tests needed, including genetic testing, which came back with a result that I am medically 100% fit, or in other words, I am at no more of a risk than anyone else, if not less as I'm a physically fit and active person.

Now the question is, in others experiences, would a letter with results from such a notable figure in cardiology, with such hard evidence of my state of fitness, cause the CAA to rethink their restriction under current JAA law? According to them, I am unfit, according to the best in medical science, I am fit.

Am I wasting my time? Or shall I be patient and wait for EASA to come out, where I believe their laws are changing (whenever that is).

Thanks

mad_jock
6th Dec 2011, 10:37
they are actually pretty good with that sort of thing.

The worst they can say is no.

So I would get all your data together and send it to them.

Alot of it is arse covering and if they have someone of note that has put there name to the fact that they say you are good to go they may go for it.

I would try and do it before EASA. The CAA medical are pretty good actually and really do try and keep pilots flying.

Eyon
6th Dec 2011, 15:15
Thanks Jock, appreciate your reply.

I had a quick word with the CAA today and was informed that all I need to do is pen a letter along with all of my evidence and get it in the post to them. I was worried it would be ANOTHER trip to Gatwick with £300 down the pan for the pleasure, if it's as simple as writing in, I might just give it a shot.

My only reservations are such that, if I fail again, will my chances of passing when EASA comes in be reduced also? Do the CAA have a "blacklist" or do they simply look at you when you walk through the door?

Thanks

topoverhaul
6th Dec 2011, 18:11
There will be no problem in training with a Class 1 OML and there "should" be no problem in being employed with a Class 1 OML unless you are looking to be employed in the very few situations which are single pilot. A Class 1 OML is after all only the medical equivalent of the MPL which is the aspiration of many new trainees.
The CAA Medical Division will try very hard to help you obtain an unrestricted Class 1 and if you have an opinion from an esteemed cardiologist which will provide additional confidence then tell them so.

Eyon
6th Dec 2011, 18:54
There will be no problem in training with a Class 1 OML and there "should" be no problem in being employed with a Class 1 OML unless you are looking to be employed in the very few situations which are single pilot. A Class 1 OML is after all only the medical equivalent of the MPL which is the aspiration of many new trainees.
The CAA Medical Division will try very hard to help you obtain an unrestricted Class 1 and if you have an opinion from an esteemed cardiologist which will provide additional confidence then tell them so.

I agree, in theory there should be no issue, but would an employee looking at two equal potential pilots take the one who, according to "the book" could drop dead (now proven otherwise), or the fit and healthy one? The airlines who I've enquired to, usually via a 3rd party such a friend who is a pilot, seem uneasy at giving a firm answer to me.

I am not willing to invest £100k in training with such risks involved with job opportunities, its simply too much. With a firm yes on the medical I'll start my training right away, but until then, its unrealistic for me.

mad_jock
6th Dec 2011, 19:33
Why are you investing 100k anyway. go modular and invest 45k tops.

:D hey first time we have managed to get a intergrated V modular thread going in Medical and Health :p

Daysleeper
6th Dec 2011, 20:40
Couple of thoughts,

First off; good idea sorting your medical before starting training. Whether an OML will or won't affect your recruitment prospects I can't say.

What I can say is that CAA medical have always been very human and within the rules will do their best for you. They have always been at the forefront of risk based medical assessment, but many other european regulators are not similarly minded and the UK CAA are but one voice in Europe.

That said, regardless of how your medical situation is resolved now, you are joining a career where you ability to work depends on your ability to retain a medical. Rules change, people get unwell, accidents happen. Have a plan B.