PDA

View Full Version : Belgian Lysander

The SSK
5th Dec 2011, 11:32
In my inbox this morning:

http://www.google.be/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=snot%20lysander&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CF4QtwIwBw&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v%3DbQfvqVMEGc0&ei=nJPYToacLcmDOo73kcAO&usg=AFQjCNGYwbLs4c-N18V4WB_BIPXqTzlaJQ&sig2=ec5Dmwr0SJr6OdRpuNE-CQ

We have the pleasure to show you the last run-up of our Lysander registered OO-SOT. We have performed several engine run-ups pushing the engine up to operational power and
have found all the parameters in line with those of the engine manufacture.
We expect thus that our Lysy will be ready for air show meetings. Should you be interested please feel free to contact us at the following address : [email protected]

kevmusic
9th Dec 2011, 22:44
Great work! :ok: One of my all-time favourite aircraft, and I look forward to its appearance in UK skies!

Wander00
10th Dec 2011, 08:19
Brilliant, and tribute to the guys who flew them into small fields in Europe, and the men and women they took in and brought out.

India Four Two
10th Dec 2011, 11:25
I love the "squadron code" MA D.
Obviously a tribute to the restorers :)

Lordflasheart
13th Dec 2011, 15:29
More than 1700 Lysanders were built. MA = 161 (Special Duties) Squadron at Tempsford which operated Lysanders from Feb '42 to Nov '44 as well as Havocs, Hudsons, Whitleys, Halifaxes and Stirlings. There's a photo somewhere of the Shuttleworth Lysander dressed as MA – B.

Apparently the group (SOT = Sabena Old-Timers) started up in 1982 and spent six years restoring this Lysander to flight condition. At some later stage it was pranged so this should be it's second rebuild. The group seems to have another Lysander rebuild in hand, plus a Lodestar. Must be keen, as well as mustard ... LFH

The SSK
13th Dec 2011, 16:02
I knew that they had rebuilt and flown one previously, it wasn’t clear to me that this was the same one (rebuilding one Lysander is admirable, rebuilding a second one is indeed a bit mad).

I live about 9km West of Brussels National, and a couple of hundred metres off to the side of a regular low-level path into BRU for helicopters and occasional light aircraft. On one occasion a very unfamiliar noise had me running out into the back garden to see the Lysander scuttling across. I suppose I was subliminally aware of its existence so I didn’t fall down in a faint, but it was a nice experience.