PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar Cadetship Questions

pull-up-terrain
5th Dec 2011, 05:34
I am aware of all the downsides to the Jetstar Cadetship and working with Jetstar but after hearing that they will be paying Cadets under the EBA is it really that bad?
After having a glance at the the current EBA earning a minimum of $88k after doing an 18 month course sounds quite good, right?
For example, for me to study Civil or Mechanical Engineering at Uni it is going to cost the same amount as the Jetstar cadetship, take 4 years to complete and looking at the RTA (the Qantas for Civil Engineers) Eba, i will earn $30k the first year and take me a minimum of 10 years to earn 6 digit pay.

Also, is there anything stopping Jetstar from forcing Australian Cadets to be based in New Zealand, Singapore, Tokyo under the ****ty Parc Aviation contract?

And, do you think Jetstar will have future cadetships when the they have to pay cadet pilots under the EBA (which is what the cadetship wasnt designed for)?

anonymouspilot
5th Dec 2011, 07:08
for me to study Civil or Mechanical Engineering at Uni it is going to cost the same amount as the Jetstar cadetship

This has been done so many times but...why, where, how, who pays ~$180k for an engineering degree...

Jack Ranga
5th Dec 2011, 09:51
for me to study Civil or Mechanical Engineering at Uni it is going to cost the same amount as the Jetstar cadetship, take 4 years to complete and looking at the RTA (the Qantas for Civil Engineers) Eba, i will earn $30k the first year and take me a minimum of 10 years to earn 6 digit pay.

You will NOT earn $30k as a Civil Engineer in your first year.

You will have weekends off and work civilised hours as a Civil Engineer.

It will NOT take you 10 years to earn 6 digit pay as a Civil Engineer.

My brother is a Civil Engineer. He's on a fly in fly out contract at the moment: $30,000 a month.

You will have a myriad of career choices as a Civil Engineer. If some unintelligible, trumped up little foreign bogan threatens to offshore your job. You can simply tell him to f@ck off and walk. :ok:

Justify the Jetstar cadetship any way you want to but it might pay to talk to an engineer or two in the real world. It might pay to talk to all sorts of people in different careers about what happens in the real world :ok:

NIK320
5th Dec 2011, 11:54
That pay would be for direct entry FO.
As a cadet you can look forward to 2 years as a jnr FO on about 55k (That's in the EBA). Then to rub the salt in to your wounds the website says you have to pay back 65k over 6 years, assuming no interest is involved that leaves you on less than the guy making sandwiches at the cafe next to your gate.

They claimed the cadetship was designed to fill the right seat to meet demands with fleet expansion. I was concerned about getting stuck as an FO for life.
Either they pay someone to give you 150 ICUS to get your ATPL or you get sick of direct entry pilots getting all the upgrades, you quit and then try to get a job elsewhere with a ton of A320 co-pilot time and not much else. Back to the same problem in a different carrier.

I'd love to stand corrected on all of that but I am yet to see anything otherwise.