PDA

View Full Version : Question from an ATC'r

information_alpha
22nd Apr 2001, 02:05
What is ment when an aircraft states that they are not RVSM (red. vert.sep. min.) compliant?

What do you have different to enable you to use the 1000ft separation?

BuzzLightyear
22nd Apr 2001, 04:02
Asking questions like this and you claim to be an ATCO....?

------------------
To infinity and beyond

information_alpha
22nd Apr 2001, 04:53
buzz, yes i am but am at an airport. Have asked around but no-one seems to be able to answer me, when i asked enroute, they just said that they needed to know because the aircraft would need 2000ft sep - i know that! What i want to know is why some aircraft can't do rvsm - what is different about them? Answer me if you know!

eezypilot
22nd Apr 2001, 10:55
info.alpha

RVSM is only affecting UK airspacein the easy aoc area at the moment. The rest of europe implements rvsm in jan 2002.

Aircraft entering rvsm airspace "practically" need:two main altimeters,2 adc computers, autopilot with servicable "ALT HOLD" function and the alt alert system must be functioning. TCAS7.0 is the required format for tcas.

As a pilot, the problem seems to be that we do not always know wether we are in rvsm airspace, ie ATC could suspend rvsm for operational reasons in one area. Also some aircraft which are not RVSM compliant could be allowed to enter rvsm airspace but the 2000 seperation would then apply to that aircraft.

I would also like to know what is going to happen if I am on min fuel, en route and have a failure that makes me non rvsm compliant. If I have to descend out of rvsm, I may have to divert en route for say a faulty altimeter!!! OR can I ask ATC to suspend RVSM?

Any ATC people know the answer?

Gonzo
22nd Apr 2001, 22:05
Eazypilot,

Yep, I knew that, but only because I asked the crew on my last fam flight.

We only got a short memo describing the RVSM introduction, nothing about why some a/c are, some aren't and what the equipment differences are.

Buzz Lightyear, did you get more info?
I'm curious!

Gonzo

Seeyouentee
22nd Apr 2001, 22:27
Apart from the Autopilot requirements the main requirements are regulatory and each company has to go through quite a process to get RVSM approval.

Crews must be specially trained and qualified to operate in RVSM. Must have done a JAR approved course.

Each A/C type that an operator intends to use in RVSM airspace must receive specific approval.

An operator must have in place continuous airworthiness maintenance programs to be RVSM compliant.

Basic RVSM envelope on auto pilot +-65 feet, and for types pre 97 up to +-130 feet.

Must have altitude alerting system.

Interesting that we are allowed in RVSM to fly up to 2nm offset track up wind if wake turbulence expected.

10W
22nd Apr 2001, 23:35
info alpha

There's full information on the UK side of things in the Aeronautical Information Circulars.

Go to this page and then select the individual circular you want to read under the 'Vertical Separation' category.

http://www.ais.org.uk/Uk_aip/pdf/aic/aicyellw.pdf

eezypilot

In theory if you have a failure at the moment in UK airspace you may be allowed to remain within RVSM airspace if workload and traffic conditions permit. However come Europe wide implementation next January, you will be forced to leave the airspace. There are various things which ATC can suspend RVSM for, an example being turbulence, however suspending it for a fuel diversion unless of course it is an emergency would probably not be allowed.

Seeyouentee

The offset is only applicable within Oceanic airspace. Within the radar environment you shouldn't offset on your own accord. Advise ATC who can then work something out for you.

------------------
10 West
UK ATC'er
[email protected]

information_alpha
23rd Apr 2001, 01:44
thanks to all who answered my question - now i know!

Buzz, hope this explains it to you too!

270LGibso
26th Apr 2001, 21:47
To EezyPilot, speaking as an ATCO from LATCC; The whole of UK airspace between FL290 & FL410 is RVSM airspace, it is permanent. Any A/C,whether RVSM equipped or not,can fly in this airspace; if a non-RVSM equipped A/C (eg a Ryanair A/C) flies in the airspace, 2000ft separation must be provided between it and all other A/c - this can easily increase Controller workload, but if it can be worked out, the A/C will be let in.
The main reason why RVSM airspace may be suspended is during periods of severe turbulence, for obvious reasons.
If an A/C flying in RVSM loses the capability, just inform ATC - we MUST be told, and as I said you will be permitted to stay, subject to workload..
From a personal point of view, the hardest thing to come to terms with is the "correct" direction level, i.e, FL310,350 & 390 are now EASTERLY levels. Confused? So are we, but we're getting there...

eezypilot
28th Apr 2001, 00:12
270LGibso

Thanks for your post, it answers my query perfectly.