PDA

View Full Version : What is this underslung load?

Ed Set
4th Dec 2011, 09:44
Watched this Alouette(?) being off loaded at LCPH a few days ago and for the last several days it has been operating in my local area with an underslung load: BUT what is it?
What is it and what is it for?
Inmy previous life at EGPD I saw lost of unusual underslung loads , but nothing like this!
No trick question-just curious.
Ed
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa347/GeoffFyti/Alouetteplus.jpg

Senior Pilot
4th Dec 2011, 10:00
Geomagnetic (VTEM) survey :ok:

170'
4th Dec 2011, 10:06
It's an HTEM/VTEM array for Geophysical survey.
Probably SKYTEM where you are, designed for mapping groundwater and to assess the vulnerability of the water table.

Torque and temp
4th Dec 2011, 10:06
..and (not to be picky) it's a Lama

fijdor
4th Dec 2011, 13:45
Not just for water but also minerals and just about anything else.

This one seem to be looking for some kind of anomalies (minerals) because you can see 50 ft up on the line another small one, looks like a missile with a drag chute in the back. That one is called a mag and that's for minerals if I recall properly.

JD

Loved the "dream catcher version though"

alouette
4th Dec 2011, 14:24
Finally a picture of a true workhorse...:ok:

170'
4th Dec 2011, 15:11
The reason I suggested water table and the rising thereof, was based on location. There's been long term problems with rising water tables all around the Mediterranean.

Things may have developed further as it's been a while since I did a VTEC job but it used to be that you can use a mad stinger (metal anomaly detector) without VTEC but not VTEC without a mad stinger...Has this changed now Fijdor?

It's hard to keep up with GeoMag if not currently involved.

Thanks....170'

Ed Set
4th Dec 2011, 16:35
Many thanks guys-I must admit I had a sneaking suspicion about geomagnetic survey but didn't really know. The comments about the water table makes a lot of sense here in Cyprus as water is indeed a very valued commodity. We never had that problem in Aberdeen.....

fijdor
4th Dec 2011, 16:37
Can't say I am up to speed with that technology either.

Equipment today is probably 1/4 of the size and weight it used to be because of the advance made in electronics.

Observation made from the ground watching that kind of system fly by our job site and I would say the weight is probably ok (using a B3) but the drag created by that system must be a pain.

The ones I flew (years back) were all the missile/torpedo type. Pretty easy to fly.

JD

fijdor
4th Dec 2011, 16:59
Last system I have flown, principle is the same, looking for anomalies but this one was fixed to the aircraft.

Anomalies we were looking for were unexploded 500 hundred pounds bombs in an old WW2 bombing practice area.

JD

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv196/jacdor/JobTrenton200703074.jpg

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv196/jacdor/JobTrenton200703019.jpg

newfieboy
4th Dec 2011, 17:25
Geotech VTEM system, towed them myself with a B2 many times in the past.........:ok:

Ed Set
4th Dec 2011, 18:53
500 above

No-not guilty though I do look there from time to time. Interesting that they say they are looking for gold on that forum. I would have thought that the water table would be equally as important though with the present price of gold you can maybe understand why!! Interesting to know though.