PDA

View Full Version : Jepp, VFR and Australia... ??

maehhh
4th Dec 2011, 09:15
Hey guys

just moved over from Germany and currently converting my (private) license... which is no fun so far but that's another story...

I used to use JeppFlitestar VFR for my flight planning and Jeppesen VFR/GPS charts inflight in Europe... To keep things simple I'm trying to equip myself with similar stuff for my Aussie flying but I am facing some problems.

First of all:
I understand there is no such thing like a VFR chart from jeppesen for Australia... is that correct?
What about the Flitestar software then? The Jeppesen website indicates there is a "Flitestar VFR Australasia" for 193$ but apparently it is impossible to order from the JeppDirect store from Australia and not a single pilot shop seems to sell these things too?

( JeppDirect | Aviation store for Jeppesen charts, pilot training, aircraft parts & pilot supplies. (http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/main/store/product_listing_template.jsp?catId=cat620086_ca) )

I am totally confused is VFR in Australia not supported by Jeppesen at all? What point am I missing? :confused:
The AsA charts are alright so far but I would definitely prefer Jepp stuff...

Please enlighten me ... :ok:

Cheers
maehhh

172driver
4th Dec 2011, 09:57
Last time I flew in Oz (about 2 years ago), this was indeed the case - no Jepps. A quick check on their website confirms. I didn't take the time to dig into the Flitestar part of their site, though.

Afraid you'll have to make do with the WAC's and the ERSA for x-country and the VNCs & TACs for the areas they cover.

What you can do, of course, is to load the Oz/Pac database into your Garmin handheld GPS.

Good luck.

AerocatS2A
4th Dec 2011, 12:46
Did you try ringing the Canberra Jepp office to order FliteStar? That is often the only way to order certain items in Australia.

maehhh
4th Dec 2011, 21:08
@Aerocat: I did but could not reach anybody so far. Will give it another try today. However I'm not sure if it is clever to use a product which is apparently hardly suppported and known here....

@172driver: That is sad news... but my beloved garmin definitely gets an oz database :ok:

I tried the "local" stuff like champagne FP 3000 and Commander and I have to admit I don't like one of them ... I'm even considering buying an Ipad now to use one of the various apps like AvPlan or similar...

baswell
5th Dec 2011, 08:16
VFR flying in Oz means using the Airservices maps, really.

And if you have an iPad, OzRunways, of course! (Note: I make OzRunways, so I am biased...)

maehhh
5th Dec 2011, 11:21
Well then so it shall be.... :{
Maybe another good reason to start my IR asap :D
Thanks for your help anyway!

@baswell
I have zero experience with OzRunways so far but it seems like there are lots of apparently very happy users... does OzRunways calculate a flightlog/fuel/W&B in way u can print it for backup use in cockpit?