PDA

View Full Version : Adding Aero-Medical procedures to current AOC

Tee Emm
4th Dec 2011, 00:44
An operator wishes to add aero-medical operations to his current AOC. CASA require him to include procedures applicable to on-board nursing personnel as they are considered as crew.

Would greatly appreciate if anyone could list typical procedures or even provide links where these could be found.

The reason for the request is this. If the operator designs the procedures from scratch then submits them, they become very much subject to individual CASA FOI likes or dislikes. By the time that is batted to and fro between operator and CASA, there will be inevitable delays in getting things approved. Thanks in advance for ideas.

chimbu warrior
4th Dec 2011, 01:14
Thanks in advance for ideas.

These are only ideas, as I have no experience in aero-med operations. I would assume CASA would require the nurse crew-member to be -

familiar with all emergency equipment and procedures (CAO 20.11)
capable of demonstrating the evacuation of disabled, injured or stretcher-borne patients in an emergency
an awareness of no-contact and sterile cockpit protocols
precautions for refuelling with passengers on board, with particular emphasis on how they might be evacuated in case of an emergency, and risks associated with administering oxygen during refuelling

a knowledge of risk management strategies as they pertain to aer-med operations

sound knowledge of any medical support equipment carried, and how this may have a potential effect on aircraft systems and/or flight safety

I agree that if you don't have a starting point it will be at the whim of the FOI upon whose desk this lands.............good luck.

Tee Emm
4th Dec 2011, 01:49
Thanks a million CW. A very good start indeed and will pass them on straight away.

Desert Duck
4th Dec 2011, 03:36
Do not expect a great deal of assistance -

I suspect that most aeromedical operators have had to develop their own ideas & then fight with CASA & FOIs to get procedures approved over many years.

You are asking them to give you a hand so that you can erode their share of a very limited market !!!

havick
4th Dec 2011, 06:37
The reason for the request is this. If the operator designs the procedures from scratch then submits them, they become very much subject to individual CASA FOI likes or dislikes. By the time that is batted to and fro between operator and CASA, there will be inevitable delays in getting things approved. Thanks in advance for ideas.

Perhaps the operator can spend their own hard earned $$ and time, going through the same development process that every other aeromedical operator has undergone in the past in order to obtain CASA approvals.

Not a helpful answer I know, but it's kind of like asking KFC for their recipe and expecting for them to willingly hand it over to you.

Perhaps employ a consultant or subject matter expert that has experience in the field.

Horatio Leafblower
4th Dec 2011, 10:04
I have to agree with the above.

"Write down what you do - then do what you wrote down".

If your personnel don't have the exertise required to competently describe Aeromedical Ops for the manual, would you happily foist their inexperience upon the unsupecting public?

Forgive me for playing devil's advocate, but if the Chief Pilot or some other SME within the organisation doesn't know enough to write it, who is going to ensure these imaginary standards required are maintained?

Tee Emm
4th Dec 2011, 11:52
Thanks chaps. Points taken. No further replies needed