PDA

View Full Version : Last RAF Vampire student

Vampiredave
3rd Dec 2011, 10:01
In January 1967, Fg Off Stevenson became (allegedly) the last RAF pilot to complete his advanced instruction on Vampires at No.3 FTS, RAF Leeming. From January until November 1967, the Vampire Flight at Leeming continued to train students from the Middle East; on 16 November, the fifth and final course was completed at Leeming when Lt Shmaisani passed his Final Handling Test and the Flight was disbanded the following month.

Can I please ask if anyone can recall these courses at Leeming in more detail - or is in contact with Fg Off Stevenson?

LOONRAT
5th Dec 2011, 13:31
I heard that the Vampire was getting so old that on the walkaround the instructor gave the aircraft a hard kick because it made the woodworm in the fuselage tighten up and to let them know the aircraft was about to fly. Apparently quite a few of the machines were condemed for infestations at Linton on Ouse. Had the pleasure to fly and display the Vampire and Venom in the 80's. I always kicked the fuselarge it probably did nothing but it made me feel better !!!