PDA

View Full Version : pprune last post

pulse1
20th Apr 2001, 19:34
I would be grateful if someone could explain to me why the time and date in the last post column is often very different from the actual last post in the thread. For example, at 15:30 UTC today, the "C152 Crash at Exeter" thread was showing a last post at 12:48 on April 20. The actual last post (not edited) was at 21:14 on the previous day.

This only seems to be happening recently and I find it a bit frustrating when I am following a particular thread. The Chinook thread seems to be particularly bad but perhaps that is because it is the only one I follow closely.

If it something I'm doing wrong I would be grateful for some advice.

PPRuNe Dispatcher
20th Apr 2001, 20:05
Check the setting on your browser. You are only seeing the cached pages and not the updated page on the server. Make sure you set your cache preferences to check for an update every time a page is accessed.

For IE, click on Tools/Internet Options. Then click the Settings button. Make sure that "Check for new versions of stored pages" is set to "Every visit to the page".

It could also be a cacheing problem with your ISP. What some ISPs do nowadays is to cache the pages their uses download, so that if another request for the same page comes in within a few seconds or minutes, they don't themselves then have to pass the request onto the source machine, but can just send back the page themselves. This really cuts down on the bandwidth an ISP has to pay for, and that is usually by far their biggest cost.

I'm now going to move this thread to Computers/Internet issues...

---PPRuNe Dispatcher

[This message has been edited by PPRuNe Dispatcher (edited 20 April 2001).]