PDA

View Full Version : Lanseria flight Center - SA

gjp737
1st Dec 2011, 12:37
Hi All,

I posted the below in the African Forum but NOBODY replied, I did use the "search function" but NO recent updates.

I need a review on Lanseria flight Center - SA, would really appreciate your inputs . . .

Cheer's :ok:

gjp737
2nd Dec 2011, 05:55
Hi stevop21,

Thanks for the infor, that's pretty much what I have also.

yeah, I will be returning back to UAE. . .

Cheers :ok:

taff_lightning
2nd Dec 2011, 07:25
Did some twin flying with them years ago and they were fine. They were a relatively small oporation so it depends what your looking for.

CharlieVictorSierra
2nd Dec 2011, 07:44
Are you looking for FTO's in Lanseria only or at any airfield in Johannesburg??

gjp737
2nd Dec 2011, 07:51
No, in and around Johannesburg would be OK.

any recommendations ? ? ?

CharlieVictorSierra
2nd Dec 2011, 08:11
I did my training at Rand Airport. Try:

Sky Raiders (www.skyraiders.com (http://www.skyraiders.com)) - they have plenty of well maintained aeries and friendly instructors who are always available. Good flight school.
U-fly (www.uflyacademy.co.za (http://www.uflyacademy.co.za)) - Know the owner very well. Top guy and good school.
AFOS (www.afos.co.za (http://www.afos.co.za)) - They use tecnams for training which is cost effective. Hear good reviews about them.
Also try Grand Central:

FTS (www.fts.co.za (http://www.fts.co.za)) - Have a mate that works there, haven't heard anything bad.
Those I would recommend you have a look at and get quotes from. They are, IMHO, the best at Rand and the only one I know anything about at Grand Central. Rand is also centred mainly around training and there isn't the worry of 737's up your tail or extended downwind for 15 miles or waiting at the holding point for 20 minutes (not normally anyway)...

Other than that just google - Flight schools at Rand Airport/Grand Central/Lanseria and youll get lots of hits.

I am not promoting any school this is just from my experience and is my opinion.

gjp737
2nd Dec 2011, 23:27
Thank you for the information . . . :ok:

patm92
7th Dec 2011, 17:37
What type of training are you wanting to do? I've had alot to do with the flying schools at Lanseria Intl Airport. Just hit me with all your questions, ill try help out the best I can.

Regards
Mark

gjp737
8th Dec 2011, 09:46
Hi Mark,

Here's the list . . .

1. Quality of instructors ? ? ?
2. A/C availability ? ? ?
3. Any issues with TO or Landing slots at Lanseria ? ? ?
(Heard that you have to hold for a very long time some days)

I'm planing to do my PPL.

Cheers :ok:

gwizzaviatior
14th Dec 2011, 19:39
GJP - I did my PPL there in 2009!

1. Quality of instructors ? ? ?
Some guduns there! Josh, now the CFI is by far the best one! I belive an instructor Bernie will push you through. PM me later if you go there, and I can advise you further.
Ground schools are regular and to a high standard. Except gen nav, if it was the guy from 2 years ago, i'd speak to Ian to sort something else out.

2. A/C availability ? ? ?
Lots of 172s - was never an issue 2 yearsa ago. With the weather, I was managing 2 good lessons a day, and finished the PPL in 2months. I dont think you'll have an issues

3. Any issues with TO or Landing slots at Lanseria ? ? ?
(Heard that you have to hold for a very long time some days)
Yes, this is very true, and the taxi time to and from the runway is about 10-15mins. Payment starts from hobbs on and hobbs of, so compare to somewhere like rand, you will be paying more! Theres no hiding behind that. However doing your power up checks with a few bix jets, kings airs beside you, and with a 737 taxxing straight past you makes it quite interesting for a PPL student!

I'm planing to do my PPL.

- Good luck! You have my pm details! Its a good school, and I think the new CFI is upholding its good standards.

GWA

patm92
15th Dec 2011, 18:20
Hi GJP737

Firstly, I would like to say that Lanseria Flight Centre (LFC) has merged with another very good flying school at Lanseria called Skyhawk Aviation - the new joint venture is currently called LFC Skyhawk (not very original, but a name had to be come up with). Some background on Skyhawk; it is a relatively young flying school, so as expected it isn't as well known as the other schools in South Africa, such as LFC. However, Skyhawk is owned & run by a South African Airways (SAA) first officer (soon to have his command) who is very heavily involved in the training at SAA & at his own school. As a result of the high training standards at Skyhawk the school has been making a VERY GOOD name for itself in all aspects of aviation training in South Africa (from PPL to ATP). These will obviously be merged into the new company.

So now to answer you;

1) As a result of the merge there are plenty of instructors available for your training. When you sign up with LFC Skyhawk, managment will select the instructor most suited for your training needs. One thing I can guarantee, there is definately no shortage of experience in the new company. The SAA pilot refereed to above is the CFI of LFC Skyhawk, Josh (referred to by gwizzaviator is the 'second in command' CFI.

2) There are atleast 7 C172 available, along with a C182. As a result of the merge, there as also two Cherokee's; a 160 & 180 (from the Skyhawk side). So there won't be an issue with the aircraft.

3) Unfortunately, Lanseria Intl is becomming very busy. The flying schools are still very much accepted as a part of the airport industry. However, due to the recent closure (permanent) of 06R/24L - the shorter runway which was always used for the circuit trainers there is some difficulty (more so at certain times of the day, when alot of the IFR schedules arrive) with being granted circuit slots at the airport. With all the other types of flights that you would do for your PPL training; GF work & nav exercises, the ATC at Lanseria are very good about getting your aircraft away with the minimal amount of delay. If you chose to fly at Lanseria, as opposed to one of the quiter airports, such as; Grand Central or Rand, you would definately be a much for confident pilot at the end of your PPL. One might have to pay an extra R100 or so for the odd flight due to ATC delays, but the experience & confidence that you will get flying in a busy environment will definately put you in a good position for flying into any busy airport.

If you choose LFC Skyhawk, you will not be dissapointed - I've been through the system there! !

Anyway, thats my advice. PM me if you need any more advice/ help.

Mark :)