PDA

View Full Version : Mojave desert.

flybyvelcro
20th Apr 2001, 13:43
I know that this is going to be the most anorak question that has ever been asked, but does anyone know the exact location of the aircraft boneyard in the mojave desert?
I am going on holiday to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon in 10 days time and I would like to visit it.
Any info would be gratefully appreciated.

stagger
20th Apr 2001, 14:11
Straight ahead, turn right at the 42nd creosote bush then over the hills...

http://helios.bto.ed.ac.uk/bto/deserts/99creosx.jpg

But watch out for this guy...

http://helios.bto.ed.ac.uk/bto/deserts/lionthu2.jpg

stagger
20th Apr 2001, 14:25
Seriously though - try Mojave Airport (MHV) north of LA if it's old aircraft you're looking for. As for its exact location - I'm afraid you'll have to look at a map for that.

flybyvelcro
20th Apr 2001, 16:03
Thanks stagger, I appreciate the info.
The old aircraft that I was referring too are the old military and in particular commercial aircraft that have been dumped there. I will certainly look out for the Mojave airport.
Once again, thanks.

invalid entry
20th Apr 2001, 22:02
Mojave (KMHV) N35 03.6 W118 09.1
Flew in there on Monday. Some very nice new stuff there now. DO pay a visit

Chalky
20th Apr 2001, 22:22
Some years ago the entire Laker and Braniff fleets, together with numerous other big jets, were laid up at Marana Air Park, Marana, Arizona. I don't know whether this is still used for storage, but it is off Interstate 10, between Tucson and Phoenix. A little to the South is Davis-Monthan Air Base, where many of the US military aircraft are mothballed.

EGAC
20th Apr 2001, 23:42
At Marana all requests for ramp tours are declined without exception - don't even waste your time driving there. If you really want to see or photograph the (exclusively civil) aircraft there you should rent a Cessna from Tucson and shoot a few approaches and overshoots. If you do it at the weekend you should also be able to overfly Davis-Monthan.

Davis-Monthan or AMARC as it is properly known can be toured three times per day - book at the adjacent and superb Pima Air and Space Museum (best part of 200 airframes and worth a day on its own). There are also many airframes to be seen just by driving on the roads around the commercial scrapyards that service AMARC. You'll actually get closer to aircraft this way as the on-base tours do not permit you to leave the bus. :)

Boss Raptor
21st Apr 2001, 12:48
Follow the Freeway from LA through the foothills and towards the Antilope Valley past Palmdale and Lancaster (very nice motel 'The Inn at Lancaster'). About 10 miles further on you will see the Mohave airport quite clearly on the right side of the road.

There are I believe 3 different companies doing storage at the airport and the aircraft are dispursed and the airport at the three locations.

Stock up on beer at the shop by the airport entrance...

From Mojave take the road towards Barstow (junction near the airport) and in about 15 mins you will come across the North Gate to Edwards AFB, there is a nice museum and aircraft collection which you are allowed to enter the base and see...ask the 'camos' on the gate. When I was there it was a weekend and I drove all around the various complex, the guy on the gate said 'if you are stopped say you are lost and heading for the museum'!

Worth the trip if just for the Edwards AFB mug and t-shirt. Both can easily be done in a day if you are staying near LAX.

There are other storage facilities at Kingman and Marana, Arizona - the latter is close to AMARC Davis Monthan AFB and also known as the Evergreen Air Center.

[This message has been edited by Boss Raptor (edited 21 April 2001).]

Speedbird48
21st Apr 2001, 16:10
There is a slight question of geography and distance involved here.
Mojave is East of LA and near Lancaster, CA.
Davis Monthan, the military graveyard, is near Tucson as is Marrana. Mojave is a long days drive too and from Las Vegas.
If you are going to Las Vegas the nearest storage area is right on McCarran Field in Las Vegas but there is another at Kingman which is South on Rt93/95.
As you seem to be from the UK beware of the distances involved it is a big country.

EGAC
22nd Apr 2001, 02:43
Kingman is indeed a pleasant day trip from Las Vegas. If you seek permission to go on the ramp you'll be sent to the airport manager's office/home (on the airport) and he will give it to you.

It may not be explained to you that this permission effectively extends to the GA side only. If you try to go to, or take photos of, the many Jetstreams (I saw 70 on one visit), TriStars, DC-9s etc. the folks who have custody and control over them can get very upset even when you explain that you have the manager's permission to be there.

Here speaks the voice of experience.

LAZYB
22nd Apr 2001, 05:32
Mojave may seem East of LA, but trust me it's North.

Lurk R
23rd Apr 2001, 08:27
http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.asp?T=1&S=10&X=2581&Y=17786&Z=12&W=2

Try zooming out also...

jonno
24th Apr 2001, 22:37
The boneyard, as you call it, IS north of Los Angeles.
Take I-405 north till it joins I-5 north just short of the LA hills, then take I-14 to Palmdale/Lancaster, itīs about 60 miles out of LA to there, just stay on that northward, and you will see the boneyard on your right.

I know the area well, I did several post production test flights for the RAAF in there brand new P3s, from the factory, then at Palmdale.

GotTheTshirt
26th Apr 2001, 05:25
There is also some parked stuff at Victorville - about 2 hours drive from Mojave.

You will also see the windmills of your mind!