PDA

View Full Version : BA 777 Seat Configuration

Mr Pax
8th Dec 2001, 01:12
I Have traveled several times from LGW to TPA
with BA (777) and have found it very cramped
with a seat configuration of 3-4-3(Peasent class) I am due to travel again in the new year and have heard a rumour that they are changing to 3-3-3. Does anyone know if this is correct and if so when? :confused:

cossack
8th Dec 2001, 01:35
I had heard this also. I think it was only used on the Caribbean routes, I guess BA may have thought they were just offering a scheduled flight to the charter classes and so crammed a few more in but kept the scheduled fares!
Due to customer complaints BA were going to change those aircraft that were not already 3-3-3, to this configuration which is more akin to what other 777 operators use.
CO 3-3-3
DL & MS 2-5-2
I've not been on a 10-wide 777, it must make the aisles real narrow!
As to the timing, who knows now?

WOK
8th Dec 2001, 03:01
There are three 777s in this configuration, strictly speaking not BA aircraft but AML a/c leased to BA. (Flown by BA flt crew, but with AML cabin crew).

Predominantly used to Caribbean destinations they also fly to Tampa and Cancun.

The AML agreement ends Summer 2002 and the a/c will be integrated back into BA at that time, reverting to standard config.

That's good news, but the bad news is that the AML cabin crew then find themselves jobless. Particularly sad because they are a very hard-working, good humoured bunch.

cirrus01
10th Dec 2001, 13:16
Don't be too sure that the three 777s being used by AML/BA will be re-converted into BA std config.......thats a lot of money to do, besides there are many routes that the two class 777 could sucessfully operate. They will have to do something though , as spares are in short supply/non-existent for the oddball seats currently fitted.
Still trying to figure out BA's claim that they do not make money with these A/C and routes. Tampa and Havana seem to always go out full...........here's a thought, perhaps its the overheads ???? ;) ;) ;)

Psr777
13th Dec 2001, 16:26
The 3 BA aircraft in this config are:

G-VIIO
G-VIIP
G-VIIR

& they will definitely NOT be re-configured when mainline take them back.
:D :D :D :D :D

Gaza
13th Dec 2001, 19:11
They will definitely NOT be re-configured when mainline take them back

BA have had 5hitloads of complaints about the high-density 777. The travel trade were told by BA (supposedly on the personal intervention of Rod E) that the aircraft would be re-configured in standard 777 layout, albeit in 2 classes.

Watchdog ran a segment about this a few months ago and BA assured them live on TV that the planes would be changed.

Could be lots of egg on face and demands for compensation from angry pax if BA go back on this. Another PR disaster for BA in the making??

Psr777
14th Dec 2001, 17:51
As far as I am aware, BA cannot afford to reconfigure the aircraft, it is not just the seats (which are 1 inch narrower, but seat pitch remains the same as mainline), but also the relocation of the mid galley, rewiring the entire aircraft IFE system, the installation of new seats throughout Club and World Traveller.

I understand that BA and the cabin crew unions have come up with a solution for mainline crew to operate in this configuration, which they start doing in FEB.

They will be operating LGW-CUN twice a week.

I know BA have had lots of complaints from passengers about the seats, the trouble is though, the 777's are the only aircraft they will be using at LGW for longhaul come mid 2002, and these 3 carry the most passengers 28J 255Y, which on some routes will definitely increase revenue for BA.

I also believe that many of the remaining 777's will be changed to offer 3 classes, ie Club World, World Traveller Plus and World Traveller - removing First from almost half of the longhaul fleet at LGW. :p :p

Pre 9/11 I understand that the aircraft were to be reconfigured, now though they say the money isn't there.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

[ 14 December 2001: Message edited by: Psr777 ]

A Very Civil Pilot
14th Dec 2001, 22:31
Flew with MAS on their 2-5-2 777. Guess who was in the middle of the 5! They've got these nifty little foot rests that fold down from the seat in front. Only trouble is, that if you're 6'2" you cant't bend your legs enough to use them. So, you fold them up in the stowed position, that then takes up 2" of the space between the seats!